MMA News and Discussion Thread

Wow, that sucks. Sad thing is it seemed like it was only a matter of time until this happened. He was known for getting into trouble, violent confrontations with locals, tourists, cops, pretty much just about anybody. Ryan was notorious for going to bars and clubs to pick fights just because he could. And he almost died a few years ago after being accidentally shot in the leg.

Shame, I always though Ryan was such a wasted talent. He had such natural skill and a very dominant grappler too. He pissed away a perfectly decent MMA career by doing stupid shit all the time. He never ended up fighting again after almost dying the first time and now this.

Regardless of the shit he stirred, he was still tremendously loved by his family. I feel bad for Renzo more than anything because he is one of the true class acts in MMA and he must be taking this hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone watch Yarennoka 2007? I thought it was fucking awesome. A really fun show with a lineup of solid fights. If you haven't seen it yet, I say go for it. Great fights, great atmosphere, great crowd, great show. Melendez/Ishida was exceptionally great, one of the best fights of the year, IMO. I guess it helped that I avoided the spoilers for days just so I could enjoy it fully.

The IFL Grand Prix Finals was damn good too. I wasn't playing on going out of my way to see it, but after seeing the end of the Horodecki/Shultz fight (maybe the most brutal looking ending all year... TAKE THAT SEAN SALMON!) and the praise it was getting as a really good event made me want to check it out. I haven't followed much of the IFL, but what they lack in talent, they more than make up for in some fun fights. I still think one of the best fights this year was Horodecki vs. Shad Lierley. You should watch it. And Palasweski/Horodecki II was awesome. Maybe two of the top 10 fights this year, IMO, coming out of the IFL. Who'd a thunk it?

Since I'm bringing this thread back anyways I might as well add some thoughts from UFC 79. That second round of Liddell/Silva was probably the most intense 5 minutes I've ever seen. It has taken over the first round of Diaz/Karo as my favorite single round in MMA history. One of the most classic moments in MMA ever had to be Silva knocking down Liddell, only not being able to follow up because he was stunned by Liddell at the same time. Fucking awesome. Maybe it's more personal opinion, but this fight has been on the top of my list since 2003 and I loved it.

It's been a week almost now, but the domination of Hughes by GSP was the greatest thing I've seen all year. Just proves that a motivated GSP is the most dominant fight on the planet. Bold prediction, #1 p4p fighter in the world by the end of next year... Unless the proposed Choi/Fedor II match goes down! Yeah, GO FEDOR!

Now I'm rambling. But there are three more things I'd like to address looking back on 2007.

1) The lightweights in any promotion are awesome and should all collectively win fighter of the year.

2) It's a miracle Sean Salmon survived 12 months.

3) If Brad Imes keeps winning fights via gogoplata, the submission will go from elusive beast to a tame house pet by the end of 2008.

• 1 month later...

The following is a news article from WrestlingObserver.com:

Reports from Japan, as well as a web site post by Mirko Cro Cop both state Cro Cop will be in Japan tomorrow for a press conference put on by Fighting Entertainment Group (K-1), which will announce the debut of a new MMA promotion to take the place of its Hero's division.

Cro Cop was the most popular foreign MMA fighter in Japan when he signed a six-fight deal at the end of 2006 with UFC. After going 1-2 in UFC, it was known UFC was considering cutting him from the deal due to the high cost of his contract.

His heading to the opening of the new group would make it likely that is how things turned out but we haven't had that confirmed from the UFC side.

I'm watching the CNBC special "Ultimate Fight/Bloodsport" - just wanted to tell anyone who is able to catch a replay to do so. It has a short part with Couture where he says that the UFC "is really the only place I wanted to fight" and that his fighting days may be over because he doesn't want to fight anymore.

I also didn't know that Meltzer works for Yahoo.

A UFC 81 event that took place earlier this month and featured Brock Lesnar’s highly marketed UFC debut has registered approximately 650,000 pay-per-view “buys,” According to Meltzer, UFC 81 with Brock Lesnar got 650,000 buys and it will be the third-highest-grossing event in UFC history — behind only December 2006’s UFC 66 event (Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz II) and July 2006’s UFC 61 event (Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock II).

FUCK YEAH!

credit: MMAJunkie.com

UFC Fight Night 13 will be a three-hour broadcast on Spike TV, after all.

The UFC has made no official announcement, and Spike TV could not confirm the news, but a source close to the event exclusively told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that April 2’s UFC Fight Night 13 event will, in fact, run three hours.

The event takes place at the Broomfield Event Center near Denver, Colo., and features what is perhaps the most talent-rich fight card in Spike TV history. Kenny Florian and Joe Lauzon meet in the night’s main event, while fan favorites such as Clay Guida, Matt Hamill, Karo Parisyan, Frankie Edgar and Houston Alexander fill out the undercard.

The MMA fanbase recently kicked off a letter-writing campaign to Spike TV executives asking that the broadcast run three hours rather than the usual two. UFC President Dana White recently stated that the decision was Spike TV’s — and Spike TV’s alone — to make, which prompted a campaign fueled by MMA blogs and message boards.

UFC Fight Night 13 will serve as a lead-in for “The Ultimate Fighter 7,” the latest installment of the UFC and Spike TV’s hit reality series. The seventh season of the show, which will feature 32 UFC middleweight hopefuls, includes UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson and the original winner of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Forrest Griffin, as coaches.

Spike TV will likely announced news of the three-hour broadcast, as well as an updated televised card, this week, we’re told. With the late switch of Tim Boetsch for Stephan Bonnar, and the inclusion of additional televised bouts, the official card released by the UFC last week is expected to change.

The latest card, in no particular order (aside from the main event), now includes:

* Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon

* Thiago Alves vs. Karo Parisyan

* Tim Boetsch vs. Matt Hamill

* Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin

* Nate Diaz vs. Kurt Pellegrino*

* Frank Edgar vs. Gray Maynard

* Marcus Aurelio vs. Spencer Fisher

* Josh Neer vs. Din Thomas

* Clay Guida vs. Samy Schiavo

* Roman Mitichyan vs. George Sotiropoulos

* Anthony Johnson vs. Tommy Speer

* — GracieFighter.com today confirmed that “The Ultimate Fighter 6” winner Nate Diaz (8-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has been added to the card. He’s expected to face Kurt Pellegrino (11-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC).

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

MMA will finally air on primetime national TV. But it is not the UFC. Instead, EliteXC will be airing on CBS as early as April with probably Kimbo Slice as a headliner.

EliteXC Expected to Announce Deal with CBS — MMAjunkie.com Exclusive

Posted by MMA Junkie on February 27, 2008 at 1:36 pm ET

ProElite Inc., the parent company of Elite Xtreme Combat, is expected to announce a deal with CBS that will put MMA on major network television for the first time.

Sources close to the deal tell MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that an agreement has been reached between CBS and the Los Angeles-based ProElite. However, officials could not publicly comment on the matter.

EliteXC was founded as a partnership with Showtime Networks Inc. in 2006. The organization’s events, which are held under the EliteXC and ShowXC banners, currently air on Showtime.

Showtime is owned by CBS.

A source who spoke exclusively to MMAjunkie.com said that CBS will broadcast live EliteXC events in prime-time slots. The events will likely take place every other month.

An official announcement with additional details of the deal is expected to be announced in the next few days. A broadcast schedule and debut date could be included.

The announcement will come just weeks after EliteXC’s successful “Street Certified” event in Miami, Fla. In addition to drawing a sold-out crowd and setting a live gate record at the BankUnited Center, the event reportedly drew more than half a million Showtime viewers.

The fact that EliteXC — and not the UFC, the worldwide MMA leader — landed the first network-television deal is a bit of a surprise.

Beginning in October, UFC president Dana White stated that he was confident the organization would reach a deal with a major TV network, most notably CBS or NBC. In November MediaPost Publications reported that the UFC and CBS were in “advanced negotiations” and that the announcement of an official partnership was expected to happen at any time. UFC 81, which took place earlier this month, was expected to be the first UFC event to air on CBS.

However, the deal eventually fell apart — reportedly over issues with the creative control of the events. Those same issues kept a deal between the UFC and HBO from coming together last year, as well.

ProElite has been on a shopping spree during the past year, purchasing organizations such as ICON Sport, Cage Rage, King of the Cage, and Spirit MC. Additionally, the organization has recently signed long-term deals with notables such as Nick Diaz, Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson, Robbie Lawler, Jake Shields, Murilo “Ninja” Rua and Gina Carano.

For more about the organization, check out the EliteXC archives here on MMAjunkie.com.

The MMA schedule for March.

Stolen from MMAWeekly.com, so all rankings are from them.

UFC 82: MARCH 1 IN COLUMBUS, OHIO

venue: Nationwide Arena

Main Card Bouts:

-Anderson Silva (#1 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dan Henderson (#3 Light Heavyweight in the World)*

-Cheick Kongo (#10 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Heath Herring

-Jon Fitch (#4 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Chris Wilson

-Yushin Okami (#9 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Evan Tanner

-Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara

Preliminary Bouts:

-Andrei Arlovski (#5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Jake O'Brien

-Josh Koscheck (#5 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Dustin Hazelett

-Diego Sanchez (#8 Welterweight in the World)* vs. David Bielkheden

-Luke Cummo vs. Luigi Fioravanti

-Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson

And Leben vs. Sakara? Sakara is fun to watch, mainly because he gets his ass beaten, but he's clearly nothing more than that. Leben I think is a solid middleweight test, always exciting, should beat the pulp out of "pro boxer" Sakara. I would love to know Leben's contract situation, just because I thought he said like two fights ago that he had one fight left and he was going elsewhere.

I don't know if anybody heard (or cares) but Peter Graham (a loudmouth K-1 fighter) and Kazuyuki Fujita got into it pretty heavy at the WVR press conference.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=741997

Pretty funny stuff. I love Fujita as a fighter. He's ballsy, entertaining, tough as nails, his lack of regard for his own defense and his raging bull fighting approach won me over a long time ago. Now my interest for this show has risen, just so I can see Fujita GnP his skull into dust.

I love how Josh is just chilling in those pictures. And when ever there is a fight at a press conference, there is always that one guy laughing at the whole thing, which in this case is Gomi. Reminds me of Don Frye and Shammy getting into it at their press conference and Enson Inoue is cracking up in the background.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy