SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Riceman 4K

Oh man, Kaney helped me to get online and we had an excellent ladder match with I as Umaga versus his Tommy Dreamer. It was epic... too bad he stole the win from me, the bastard. Either way, I have heard about the CAW trading system, and as such I am interested to hear if anyone has anything interesting... that they would be willing to put over my way... for a default CAW. :shifty: Come on now.. help a brotha out.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've got giftcards and am looking to pick this up on 360, mostly due to custom soundtracks and the fact that its no less solid gameplay wise than 07 apparently. Storylines in these games always suck no matter what.

Will it be fun for me to play with my friends? Keep in mind we played the shit out of RAW 2 simply because it had custom soundtracks. Now that was a game with bad storylines, if you could call it that.

So worth a pickup if I'm not spending my own money?

As I said, I didn't ask for this game because well.. everyone talks shit about it. But then I talked to a friend that had it, and the glitches were really a non-factor for him. An aunt who just knew I was getting the system and liked wrestling got it for me, and I was kinda meh on it until I picked it up. It's fun on Live from everything that I have done so far, and if you are going to get some good time in playing with friends (I did play my friends for a little bit last month) then it's surely pretty good. If the messed up storyline mode is going to get on your nerves... that's about the only thing I really see hindering your enioyment.

As ApSham said, you can certainly have a great match if you're just playing it for fun, I mean the storymode is awful bad and some of the gameplay is bizarre, but it's still really fun for playing with friends.

I've just tried to do the Submission Sensei achievement of having none of your struggle submission holds broken in a normal submission match but I can't seem to get it. Am I right that the moves where you have to move the right stick to wrench the hold are the struggle submission moves? And if yes, by having them not broken does it mean by rope break and/or opponent reversal or do you have to make them submit with your first one? I don't get it :ohwell:

edit: nevermind, did it.

I've just tried to do the Submission Sensei achievement of having none of your struggle submission holds broken in a normal submission match but I can't seem to get it. Am I right that the moves where you have to move the right stick to wrench the hold are the struggle submission moves? And if yes, by having them not broken does it mean by rope break and/or opponent reversal or do you have to make them submit with your first one? I don't get it :ohwell:

edit: nevermind, did it.

I know you did it, but for posterity, the Submission Sensei requires you to make an opponent tap out with your first (and only) struggle submission of the match. It doesn't matter how they break it, but if they do, you lose the achievement. The obvious way to do this is to just beat the crap out of whoever you're facing - do it on the easiest setting if you need to - until everything is red, then hit them with a KO move and slap on a struggle submission. Should be no problem.

Yeah I did with Bret Hart in the Hall Of Fame challenge where you have to beat Austin. I wasn't even trying to do it deliberately either.

I got this for Christmas on my new 360.. and it's really not as bad as people have been making on. I love the fact that they took out that god damn breathing meter this year, and the slower way that the game moves seems to pace it at least a little bit better.

It's not as bad, it's worse.

But to each his own, you've only been playing for a day I assume, so wait until you get deep into the shallow waters of 24/7 mode.

Maybe it's just me but the only reason I buy each year's installment is because I want to go through the storylines. I don't really care about the roster updates since half the time it's nowhere near what the current roster is.

I traded it in last week after being in the middle of a storyline prior to Wrestlemania which ended abrutly because I had finished everything needed to become a legend..wtf.

If the only reason you buy it is for storylines then fair enough. The 24/7 mode isn't brilliant but I do enjoy playing it. Even if you get bored of it you can simulate results just to get the cash to unlock stuff which is fine by me. The gameplay is possibly the best it's ever been though in my opinion. The new fighting styles and the running system really make it a lot better than previous games.

I'm up for some Xbox Live action in the next few weeks. Gamertag is dwsnuk.

I've just been schooled by Ap Sham, who's only had it one day so my credibility is taking a bit of a hit here >_>

I'd have played you earlier AD, but I was in one of those matches. Hit me up though next time you're playing, if time allows it I'll be up for a match or two even if I'm not already playing SDvR.

If you think the inclusion of ECW makes this a better product than previous installments then go ahead, but in my opinion the ECW Extreme Rules match is just another hardcore stipulation.

For one even the match is flawed, no pins outside the ring? If this was really the most extreme match possible at least make it falls count anywhere.

I hate hitting a big spot in the audience area and not being able to pin.

That's not flawed, those are ECW rules. Falls only count in the ring.

I got a little too cocky playing Kaney and almost messed up a few times... he was kicking my ass as Kane (I as Shawn Michaels) in a LMS match before he threw me to the crowd brawling area... and I hit the Sweet Chin Music twice to for sure keep him down. But I decided to climb the scaffolding and drop an elbow anyways at the count of 9... and then he made a comeback. And then another Sweet Chin Music busted him open, so that canceled out the chance I had to put him down then.. so then I had to earn ANOTHER one before finally putting him down... and doing the suck it taunt over his head. I'm 3-1-1 KANEY~!

I'm enjoying it too. I've had no major glitches, just Nitro referring to Cena as "Michaels" in WWE magazine for a pargraph.

The storylines are so shite though, its not even funny, especially the WWE Films one.

I'll be all on XBL tonight for the first time on SD vs RAW. Probably getting my ass handed to me

I'm enjoying it too. I've had no major glitches, just Nitro referring to Cena as "Michaels" in WWE magazine for a pargraph.

The storylines are so shite though, its not even funny, especially the WWE Films one.

I'll be all on XBL tonight for the first time on SD vs RAW. Probably getting my ass handed to me

Okay, I've played a bit and other than the obvious nitpicks (GM Mode being repetitive and 24/7 being awful) there's a good wrestling game here. Albeit, I haven't played any SD v. RAW before this so I'm on a side that's just happy to have a wrestling game on the PS2.

Still, I think it's annoying that on a created tag entrance with already available wrestlers, only one person is introduced. Like in my odd in-game storyline that Khali and JBL became tag champs, only Khali's name is mentioned. It also annoys the hell out of me that for a created title, the font says "Created WWE Championship" and is even introduced as the created championship. Shouldn't it just be "the title" at least. Also, it is kind of annoying that they seem to be completely inept at fonting every championship belt. But eh, this is ridiculously nitpicky. And it is ridiculously fun playing as Khali.

Elaborate in spoilers please.

So far I've had Booker T doing the Samoan Spike in a PPV hype video, a match between me and Kane hyped as being between me and Undertaker in a WWE Magazine and a storyline suddenly end with me losing my WWE title to Lashley despite me facing Kenny Dykstra that week in a non-title match.

The fact that my Chuck Norris CAW now comes out to the Walker, Texas Ranger theme makes me love this game immensely.

Anyone want to explain how I light tables and weapons on fire?

In an Extreme Rules match, have the flashing momentum meter and stand next to a table (set up in ring or outside) and hit the Triangle/Y button (depending on system).

As for weapons, I know 2x4s can be lit on fire, not sure of others. For that, just have the weapon in your hand when you have the flashing momentum meter and again, Triangle/Y.

Edited by CQI13