Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection on the PS2

Liam

Anyone got it?

I bought it the other day for £15, and its been pretty fun playing some of the older games I had, and some that I'd heard about but not played on as a kid. Gain Ground is probably the best game I've found through it so far, good fun, if a little tough.

Maybe I just suck, but I find older games a lot harder than newer games...its frustrating.

Yer, I've found that. I'm sure I used to whizz through Sonic the Hedgehog in about an hour. Couple of weeks ago it took me and my mate about 2 hours to do it (including getting the Emeralds). Same with Sonic 2. And Jungle Strike is merciless, I never ever remember having so much trouble with it when I was a kid, but I can barely pass the first fucking level at the moment.

Anyone got it?

I bought it the other day for £15, and its been pretty fun playing some of the older games I had, and some that I'd heard about but not played on as a kid. Gain Ground is probably the best game I've found through it so far, good fun, if a little tough.

Maybe I just suck, but I find older games a lot harder than newer games...its frustrating.

I totally agree, and I was actually thinking of making a topic about older games vs. newer games and the difficulty level.

I think that the control schemes, saves, and other functions make games of now a bit easier. Games of the older generations were less forgiving with dying. A lot of games, if you died, then you were fucked, game over, re-start. Nowadays you can use trial and error without having to start the game over due to the advent of the save function. There's a lot more ground I could cover on the subject, but that's about all I can think of as of right now.

I particularly remember playing Rocket Knight Adventures (awesome Star Wars rip off platformer with possums) trying to complete 'CRAZY HARD' mode.

Now, when you put the game in you would get a choice of two difficulty options: Easy (so easy I could cry) and Hard.

If you played Easy, you didn't get the proper Final Boss and it told you to try Hard mode, natch. If you played Hard mode, you were able to complete the full game. However when you got to the end it would say "Now try completing VERY HARD mode!" Similarly, once having completed VERY HARD mode you would be asked to try CRAZY HARD mode.

The significance here is that you couldn't save the fact that you'd 'unlocked' these extra difficulty modes and turning off the console would erase them. Therefore you were required to run through the game twice in one sitting (Hard/Very Hard) just to GET to Crazy Hard mode in the first place.

Crazy Hard was awesome though. One life, no continues, one hit = death. As it should be. :shifty:

The difficulty of older games was in part because of the restrictions in place because of the technology they were using. In games today, you get hours upon hours of content and you can usually play the game over and over, playing it in a different way each time.

Even as far back as 10 years ago, it was more difficult, so one way to make a game longer and make the customer feel as if they got value for what they spent their money on was to make it harder. Sometimes they took it too far, but by making the game more challenging it made the player try over and over again, making the game longer.