What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

new Ghostbusters isn't very good outside of Chris Hemsworth; it's a such a shame because I saw the four female stars on Graham Norton the other week and they were all extremely funny, natural and charming and they really didn't get to show that in the film. 

If I had to describe a film as "meh", I'd direct you to the Ghostbusters reboot.

It's not the absolute disaster that some people are saying, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "charmful reimagining", which I've also seen. It's just in the middle of the spectrum.

Dumb Chris Hemsworth is a highlight, but I could have done with less Kate McKinnon.

Ticked Fellini's  off the 'should have watched this a long time ago' list. Utterly spectacular. I'm surprised how playful and penetrable it is for what's 140 minutes of just a pretentious sod trying to overcome their introverted shortcomings mainly through fantasy and reflection. Plus I love its awareness in presenting itself as intellectual, yet being anything but - the meaning of life boiled down to a lament on women who dare to be more than playthings, and disapproving mothers.

Gone Girl was terrific. Perfectly cast and a great story that really takes you along for a ride.

On 12/07/2016 at 23:38, Jimmy said:

new Ghostbusters isn't very good outside of Chris Hemsworth; it's a such a shame because I saw the four female stars on Graham Norton the other week and they were all extremely funny, natural and charming and they really didn't get to show that in the film. 

I'd blame Paul Feig. I've yet to see a film that he directed that I liked, and several episodes of Arrested Development he directed are amongst the worst in the show's history.

I know everybody likes their own thing, but I really struggle to find anything redeemable about him as a director.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Gone Girl was terrific. Perfectly cast and a great story that really takes you along for a ride.

I'd blame Paul Feig. I've yet to see a film that he directed that I liked, and several episodes of Arrested Development he directed are amongst the worst in the show's history.

I know everybody likes their own thing, but I really struggle to find anything redeemable about him as a director.

Even if you didn't like it, I'd argue the effect the long-term effect Bridesmaids has had gives him merit as a director. I hadn't quite realised how well loved that film is, especially among young women, and I think the opportunities that's opened up for a lot of female writers and performers is extremely admirable. It's regretful he hasn't been able to duplicate that (although I enjoyed Spy for what it was) but I do think he deserves credit nonetheless. Though, in the case of Ghostbusters, I think he has to shoulder a fair amount of the blame. 

Ghostbusters was pointless. It's a shame as that cast with a better script would've been wonderful. But if they can't be arsed to even give the villain a basic motive I can't be arsed caring. Plus that it turns into a superhero film is..... well, once upon a time I'd have said weird, but now it's just fucking boring.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2016 at 19:27, GA! said:

Ghostbusters was pointless. It's a shame as that cast with a better script would've been wonderful. But if they can't be arsed to even give the villain a basic motive I can't be arsed caring. Plus that it turns into a superhero film is..... well, once upon a time I'd have said weird, but now it's just fucking boring.

Haven't seen it, but someone at another board brought up a pretty good point: The movie might work better as a continuation, with the characters being a new generation of Ghostbusters who band together after the originals disbanded due to being discredited/undermined years ago.

As soon as I found out what the big bad is, I lost any interest in seeing it unless it pops up on cable or Netflix. Yawn.

I saw Ghostbusters. If I had young daughters then I'm sure they might have enjoyed it. I liked Bridesmaids, I saw it at the movies and everyone was laughing and it made it far funnier than having seen it on DVD it actually was.

The audience was dead all through Ghostbusters. There was just nothing there. Like I said if I had young daughters I'd take them to see it because it's nice seeing women kicking arse and saving the day, but every single other thing felt completely flat. I think I chuckled twice during the whole thing and I'm prone to chuckling during dramatic movies if a line is delivered oddly. 

If I'd been watching it on Netflix I'd have been playing on my phone after the first 20 minutes.

It does get bonus points for having the cute guy from Silicon Valley in it.

On 22/07/2016 at 15:57, blueblood said:

Anchor Man 2

And I don't know where I've been because I didn't even know there was an Anchor Man 2.

Smh

You were probably better not knowing. I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first, but that was a real let down.

I think Ghostbusters was fine but there were definitely really clear, obvious flaws. The first act, when the stakes were low, was by far the best; the audience I saw it with was by far the most engaged early on. The villain was a blank, too, which is only a thing you can get away with in sequels (hi Marvel). The cameos were really, really erratic too:

Spoiler

I can't think of a joke that falls flatter than the Ozzy Osbourne cameo, which probably seemed funny on paper but felt years and years too late even without the knowledge that he and Sharon were getting divorced. And Bill Murray's cameo mostly felt like him finally getting his wish to die in a Ghostbusters movie, like he had supposedly demanded as a condition for appearing in the Ghostbusters 3 that Aykroyd wanted to do years ago.

On the other hand, I would happily welcome Sigourney Weaver back as Holtzmann's mentor in a sequel.

Kate McKinnon, Chris Hemsworth, and Kristin Wiig until the movie ran out of stuff for her to do were the standouts. I'd watch a sequel if reviews suggested it had a better script.

Watched 1984. Wasn't a huge fan. Thought the movie got considerably better when Winston was arrested. But I thought the first half was uninspired and probably relied too much on the audience knowledge of the books. 

7 hours ago, RPS said:

Watched 1984. Wasn't a huge fan. Thought the movie got considerably better when Winston was arrested. But I thought the first half was uninspired and probably relied too much on the audience knowledge of the books. 

John Hurt version, I assume. I liked it but it felt a bit dated, but I guess that is because it was written in 69 and made in 84 >_>