What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Special Correspondents

Ricky Gervais is Ricky Gervais, Eric Bana does nothing, Vera Farmiga sings and Ugly Betty is actually quite attractive.

Nothing much happens at all.

Green Room breaks the "I haven't seen an actual great 2016 movie yet" thing, though weirdly I think I might actually prefer a version of the movie that's just about a touring punk band having to do shitty shows to make money to get back home without the whole "menaced by evil white supremacists" thing.

Special Correspondents was gash. 

Christine and Road by Alan Clarke are both incredibly interesting films, with Road, based on Jim Cartwright's play, being an absolute standout to me. It's crazy that the BBC used to produce these thought-provoking, challenging one-off pieces of drama. Clarke's work has been subject to a retrospective at the BFI and it's been enlightening to really discover one of Britain's finest filmmakers and how much depth he had to his filmography beyond Scum, Made in Britain and The Firm. 

On 4/30/2016 at 06:07, GoGo Yubari said:

Green Room breaks the "I haven't seen an actual great 2016 movie yet" thing, though weirdly I think I might actually prefer a version of the movie that's just about a touring punk band having to do shitty shows to make money to get back home without the whole "menaced by evil white supremacists" thing.

I've found 2016 to be a pretty uninspiring year so far for movies, with only the really big films so far (Zootopia, Jungle Book and Civil War) being the films I'd actually want to watch again. There's still so much I haven't watched, though.

I'd agree, more or less. I've liked almost all of the movies I've seen this year to some extent (with one glaring exception) but only like two are ones I'm really going to look back on and go "oh, that was really good." Zootopia is my most glaring omission right now; I'm hoping my theater picks it up like a month from now so I can just sneak in to some late night showing of it.

The Avengers:  Age of Ultron

Not as bad as most people make out, some of the fight scenes are a bit messy and Ultron as a villain seems to get less and less intimidating as the film goes on, but on the whole, I enjoyed it.  I probably should have watched this before Civil War...

@Benkid Nada@GoGo Yubari on the topic of films released this year. 

Check out Nasty Baby if you get a chance. It's definitely going to be a film that absolutely splits people, but I caught it at the BFI Flare festival and that's definitely the best thing I've seen this year. The Club is also well worth watching if you get the chance. 

4 hours ago, GA! said:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2. The characters are still likeable, but giving everyone a transitional arc this series made things quite labourious near the end.

Throughout, not just at the end. It certainly didn't feel nearly as good as the first season and the jokes weren't landing nearly as well. For me, the comedy comes from the characters rather than the writing it seems.

• Like 2