What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Look of Silence is an incredible follow-up to The Act of Killing. It's stylistically different and approaches the monstrosities in Indonesia in a completely different way, but it similarly tells an incredible and important story. Highly recommended.

London Road was completely surreal. It's a musical about a community effected by the Ipswich prostitute murders. Having lived through that, I couldn't imagine it would work in any way, and actually found the idea kind of insensitive. But it somehow really works. All the lyrics are based off of real-life interviews given by the people of Ipswich, so there's a real truth and warmth to it. My biggest surprise of the year so far.

The Ring (2002).

It sucked, I guess that's all I have to say about it. It's supposed to be a horror film, right? It was so laughably silly and predictable, it just wasn't scary in my eyes at all. It was nice in that it was a horror movie that wasn't overly reliant on blood and guts, but at the same time it was wholly ineffective in terms of being a horror film, at least from my perspective.

Edited by Owen

Watched a bunch of films yesterday.

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh which was lovely and charming.

He's Just Not That Into You which was decent, but not great, and was at least a reminder that Ginnifer Goodwin is a good actress and that Once Upon a Time has just given her a shit character.

The Giver just didn't live up to it's premise. Everything it tried to say has been done in films a lot better. It preaches you about the importance of emotion but barely skims the top of why or showing emotion itself and why it is important.

Big Top Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo and the Legend of the Vampire, Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire and Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur were all okay, but none particularly stood out.

Which one is that? I'm trying to remember if I've watched it.

Ponyo was great guys! It's like a slightly lesser Totoro, Which is still pretty great.

Also, Margin Call is fantastic. There's not many films about anything regarding the 08 financial crisis, but even if there is there isn't much competition for this, because it's done so well. Shot beautifully, written with really strong characters, and I was engrossed from the get go. It's not as good as Chandor's second effort, because I absolutely adore All is Lost, but it's still damn good.

It's "Transformers: Shia Leboeuf goes to college".

EDIT : Got to the end. It was bad. I'm paraphrasing this, but in the same speech, one of the Transformers says, "this thing is something you earned, it is your destiny." Err...

Also, if Shia and Megan Fox weren't in this and it was just a war film with Transformers, it could potentially be awesome.

• Like 1

Watched Army of Darkness in full for the first time yesterday. Halfway through my girlfriend called downstairs and asked what I was watching and why I wasn't watching it with her. After telling her I didn't think she'd like it, she proceeded to prove me wrong by joining me and enjoying it as much if not more than I did. She demanded we watch the first half today

• Like 1

The Gunman is one of those movies that has a stellar cast that completely phone it in, combine that with a pretty boring-as-fuck plot and I was falling asleep by the end of this.

Not to mention the out of left field preachy news broadcast at the end that fully ignores the mindless action film that preceded it to try and make the movie seem socially responsible.

And the absolute lack of Idris Elba.

Watched Focus tonight. It did not actually turn out as I expected which was quite refreshing actually. After seeing Margot Robbie in this movie, I'm intrigued to see her as Harley considering it's the completely different end of the spectrum.

Watched Focus tonight. It did not actually turn out as I expected which was quite refreshing actually. After seeing Margot Robbie in this movie, I'm intrigued to see her as Harley considering it's the completely different end of the spectrum.

I liked the chemistry between Robbie and Smith, felt they bounced off each other quite well and were pretty comfortable together, so I think if there's more of that dynamic in Suicide Squad it's going to be fun. The best part had to have been BD Wong, though, I thought he was fantastic and hilarious at the same time.

Worst part was the stupid hotel scene.

I liked the chemistry between Robbie and Smith, felt they bounced off each other quite well and were pretty comfortable together, so I think if there's more of that dynamic in Suicide Squad it's going to be fun. The best part had to have been BD Wong, though, I thought he was fantastic and hilarious at the same time.

Worst part was the stupid hotel scene.

Which hotel scene? There were a few.