What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Akira (1988) is fucking bonkers and it is awesome.

Also saw The Past (2013), which is the second Asghar Farhadi film I've seen. Considering I love A Separation and consider it one of the best films I've ever seen, had high expectations for this, and it almost met it. Still, a very solid, very hard look at the broken family dynamic, but I found it absolutely captivating to watch.

• Like 1

Also saw The Past (2013), which is the second Asghar Farhadi film I've seen. Considering I love A Separation and consider it one of the best films I've ever seen, had high expectations for this, and it almost met it. Still, a very solid, very hard look at the broken family dynamic, but I found it absolutely captivating to watch.

The Past just didn't know how to settle on a satisfying end. Or I think that's how I remember feeling. I thought it was incredible for the first half or so, and felt it slightly dipped in quality, but still ended up being a really good film.

• Like 1

The Past just didn't know how to settle on a satisfying end. Or I think that's how I remember feeling. I thought it was incredible for the first half or so, and felt it slightly dipped in quality, but still ended up being a really good film.

I didn't like that it became a sort of mystery in regard to the e-mails in the second half, the shift in focus from Ahmad to Samir felt a little out of left field to me. To me, the more interesting aspect was between the four of them, less to do with Samir and his wife.

The one that might be my favorite movie of the last five years. I'll let you figure it out.

The Triple H movie it is, then. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, was it better than the trailer? I remember watching the trailer and feeling a bit underwhelmed...

I feel like the first Cars movie wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, just not as good as other Pixar films. Like, it wasn't Toy Story caliber but it also wasn't the steaming sack of shit that was, say, half of Dreamworks Animation's catalogue.

• Like 2

It didn't have a clever wider message like most Pixar films (outside maybe the romance of Route 66), but as a funny cartoon film about cars it works for me. Cars 2 just felt fun.

Cars is a very specific kind of nostalgia flick ("remember this one particular type of consumerism from a while ago?") so its appeal isn't universal like Toy Story's is, but it's okay. Inside Out is wonderful, though, that rare movie where I really have nothing bad to say. Even thematically, it's very clever.

Up is still king of Pixar films for me and Inside Out was not good enough to break into the top 3 for me, but that's not a bad thing at all and it's still really good. I'd possibly give it 4th best.