What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

This is going to be a weird shill, but if possible you guys should totally catch the DUFF. While it doesn't completely rid itself of the usual teenage high school "girl nerd, guy jock" cliche, it has an amazing amount of charm, wit and genuine growth of the main character that can be quite touching. Also, Mae Whitman is motherfucking awesome and has one of the best performances I've seen this year.

The DUFF is awful. I laughed a couple of times because Mae Whitman is great. (Her?) The rest is totally by the numbers and awful. And I had to see it twice.

On the bright side, I got paid to watch it both times so I can't really complain.

• Like 1

Thought Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind was very good. It seemed like a good starting point before going into all of the Ghibli films, but I was extremely impressed by the large scope of the story, and how well developed and beautifully animated everything was. It didn't blow me away, but I thought it was a really good feature, which had more violence and adult themes than I was expecting. Very excited to get started on the rest now.

• Like 1

Oh man, I can't wait for you to get to Mononoke. It's like a more refined, updated Nausicaa, with even more adult themes and violence.

Actually, Ghibli has a lot of those, they kind of don't shy away from things like that. It's really not for kids as much as people think.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame was good. I certainly remember now why I stopped watching half way through as a kid, that film is daaaaark for Disney. Animation is beautiful, voice acting is great (and totally made me want to rewatch Reboot), and the story was okay. Not the best Disney film, but still good.

A Million Ways To Die In The West's comedy was hilarious when it was on point, awful when it wasn't, and the film itself rounds out pretty well, since it was on point more often than not.

Oh man, Castle in the Sky is brilliant. It's fantasy on a scale that live action often fails to deliver. I just think it's so easy to get caught up and lost in a film like this, because the characters and plot match the stunning visuals. I really can't wait to keep going through all the Ghibli stuff, I liked Nausicca a lot, but I thought this was on another level.

• Like 1

Watching Exodus: Gods and Kings right now, and wondering if people feel cheated when they pay to watch a Ridley Scott film in the cinema.

That's in our Netflix queue.

Right now, we have Boyhood waiting to be watched.

• Like 1

The DUFF was decent enough. Mae Whitman is unsurprisingly awesome, but it was a film that kind of subverted some cliches, but didn't have the balls to really challenge the structure of a teen film.

Pitch Perfect, on the other hand, was so good. I literally have no idea why I enjoyed this so much, but it was so much fun.

A Fairly Odd Summer

Meh. The first live action special is actually pretty fun as it explores the idea of man child Timmy Turner not wanting to give up his fairies but now it's just transplanting these characters into generic problems and going to extreme lengths to have all these characters just happen to all be in the exact same place at the same time. Not even Timmy's parents can save it. That was like the best part of the first one, the way they were going a bit mad by him still being around and them passive aggressively giving him the job section of the newspaper for his birthday.

Head of State

You know what's weird with this movie, he accepts this nomination to run for President pretty much the first thing they do is introduce his staff and they're like "Oh yeah, we got you you're own hooker." pretty much and they just go right on by and no one bats an eyelid. Bernie Mac is amazing here though. Just pimp slapping any reporters that get in his way.

Adventures in Babysitting

It's cute seeing the little sister character in this one being obsessed with Thor to the point she spends the whole movie going around with his helmet on. I guess I've not really not used to seeing that sort of fandom for superheros outside of that 2000 onwards period when the whole movie thing kicked off. Just reading that Bradley Whitford was like 27 when he shot this and yeah, kinda shows. Makes it look a bit creepy when his character is dating this teenage girl.

Beverly Hills Cop II

Axel Foley's schemes top even the ones in the first movie, he steals a house for God's sake! And we even get a look into the world of Rosewood. He's kinda great here with his crazy driving and choice of vehicles.

Summer Rental

Not the best Candy movie but enjoyable enough. All the signs were there but it suddenly becoming a montage laden sports movie 30 minutes from the end kind of snuck up on me.

Commando

Really awesome, even if it just a dumb macho action movie. What's not to love about Arnie dropping classic one liners, ripping phone booths off the wall and his unsuspecting female companion taker her turn with the rocket launcher?

Wreck-It Ralph

I really loved all the little details here, like when they're leaving the Pacman machine and all these different characters are represented in Pac Man art. Stuff like that is really neat, like the 8-Bit Mickey Mouse intro right at the start. All the different characters...funny when Sonic is doing a PSA of sorts about how if you die out of your game, you die for good...I didn't expect them to incorporate 'Sonic Sez' into the movie.

Iron Man 3

Not overly fussed about this one, the whole Middle Eastern aspect of it just left me a bit uneasy but actually that works out very well the way they went with it. That ended up being pretty cool.