What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Furious 7 was great. It was still over the top which is 3/4 of the appeal and the ending was absolutely beautiful.

If they ended the franchise with that movie it'd be a perfect way to go.

Saw it earlier today, and completely agree. Only one thing I was disappointed about:

Lucas Black's appearance was only a cameo

(What I posted wasn't anything major, but felt like tagging it anyway. Won't ruin your enjoyment if you go ahead and read it ahead of time.)

And man, did Dwayne Johnson get some pretty great lines in this one.

Watched Looper last night, alright in bits with a naff ending. I liked the fact JGL was doing Willis mannerisms throughout, even though you'd need to watch his other films to know that. The prosthetics were pretty impressive too.

His eyebrows and forehead were like the Daniel Day Lewis of Bruce Willis impressions.

My Neighbour Totoro was wonderful and adorable. I now understand why the bus stop scene is so beloved.

Currently watching Planes 2: Fire & Rescue because I hate myself (also because I wanted a film I wouldn't have to focus on but could still follow whilst I clean). It is predictably bad.

Like, I'm not even sure why I hated it so much. I think it's a combination of not being able to root for Jimmy Stewart and a plot that is basically a murder mystery surrounded by beautiful shots of San Francisco.

But hey, at least it didn't have any tennis in it.

Pokémon 17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction had some cool looking villains, but not much else going for it. Never felt any emotional investment, and even the cutesy legendary wasn't nearly as cute as all the rest that've had films. Probably the worst Pokémon film I've seen.

... and the Pikachu turning to stone scene just felt like a poor and cheap attempt to redo the first film's amazing heart wrenching scene.

....there is a Pokemon 17?!

Ponyo was okay. More than a little Finding Nemo meets Little Mermaid. Of the official Ghibli films so far it's better than Nausicaä, but not as good as the rest. I feel like the plot was more a Disney cast-off with...

... its "love saves the day" ending.

I am about to join you on this adventure because I too hate myself, as shall become evident when I reveal my week of movies later on...

Yeah, they release one a year pretty much. I haven't watched half of them to be honest, the ones I haven't will be in my 365.

Shouldn't Ash be like, the King of all the Pokemon world by now?

Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery

I think when this actually gets round to being Scooby Doo it loses a bit of steam but that's only because for the rest of the movie you are kind of mesmerized by all the absurd WWE stuff like Michael Cole's immortal call of 'Where did Big Show get a picnic table?!'. Funny how quickly the landscape of WWE changes, coupled with the presumable long production times for animation leading to heavy promotion for Sin Cara. Though, that did give us his epic backstory of protecting the world from bears so that's good. I will not forgive this movie though for missing the obvious joke of unmasking Kane and saying "It was that mean old Glen Jacobs all along!". :shifty:

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves

Seems like a logical progression, I suppose. Shrink the kids, embiggen them...might as well shrink the parents now. Nice that they brought back the creepy insects but boo for using shitty mid 90's CGI.

Beverly Hills Cop

Lot of fun to see Axel Foley just bluff his way past everyone with crazy stories. That and his interaction with all the different local police. "You're arresting me for getting thrown through a fucking window?!"

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Okay, firstly, the intro for this is kinda creepy. In general there's just something off about the whole thing but the real life stuffed Pooh Bear and the other characters are just really freaky. That sort of real life motif runs throughout though and it's kinda odd at first but it's cool how it plays into the story sometimes, like Pooh is sent flying through the air and actually flys out of the story book and lands on another page, or when there's a flood in the story, it washes away all the words. Kinda dark at times too, like when Rabbit is trying to forcibly abandon Tigger in the woods because he's really annoying or at the end when Christopher Robin is sort of reflecting on his own childhood as he's growing up and can't spend much time with Pooh.

Anchorman 2 (Extended edition)

Didn't like this one at all. Not sure whether the first one was just that much better or whether it's just the memory of it being built up that way but couldn't get on with this sequel. Not sure how much of the particularly bad stuff was down to it being the longer version with '736 more jokes' but the Brick and Chani scenes were just the worst. I will say though that the News Team showdown was an isolated highlight, I was kinda hesitant at first at them just doing the whole thing over but they had some fantastic cameos in there.

Superhero Movie

In news that will surprise no one, not a good movie. The only chuckle I got was from Leslie Nielsen shooting Kevin Hart with a nail gun. At least they flipped the whole relative death thing from Spiderman so he could stay around longer in the movie. I didn't realise he made such a habit of turning up in these things in his twilight years, apparently even showing up in some spoof of Spanish movies.

Hop

On the one hand, this seems very much overly cutesy for Russell Brand but then again, it does make reference to Playboy. You know, for kids! Movie on the whole kinda feels like an Easter re-branding of Arthur Christmas, not least caus you have Hugh Laurie around and start the movie off by showing all the different people/bunnies that have taken the role of this holiday icon. The way they just gloss over the rules of whether E.B should let people see/hear him is a bit odd but the way they explained it away with The Hoff was cute.

• Like 1