What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I recently started collecting the Ghibli films on Blu Ray as I have seen roughly half of them, its a good way to see the ones I haven't and rewatch the ones I love.

Yesterday I saw My Neighbour Totoro for the first time and I was quite eager since its most of my friends favourite Ghibli film. I have to admit that as lovely as it was I found it fairly underwhelming. Not a lot really happened. I rewatched Spirited Away a few days prior, so maybe that's why as I kinda love that and it has a much more in depth and eventful storyline.

Back from the midnight showing of Fast and Furious 7. Explosions, fight scenes, The Rock being The Rock, funny quips, made me cry at the end :crying:

Very good film, probably need to see it again to know how good though.

I recently started collecting the Ghibli films on Blu Ray as I have seen roughly half of them, its a good way to see the ones I haven't and rewatch the ones I love.

Yesterday I saw My Neighbour Totoro for the first time and I was quite eager since its most of my friends favourite Ghibli film. I have to admit that as lovely as it was I found it fairly underwhelming. Not a lot really happened. I rewatched Spirited Away a few days prior, so maybe that's why as I kinda love that and it has a much more in depth and eventful storyline.

It depends on what your flavor is, I think. A lot of Ghibli films don't deal with events like how say Pixar does it, Ghibli loves to focus on the characters and how they evolve throughout the course of the film. Totoro deals a lot with how Setsuki has to deal with taking over the mother role for Mei, while at the same time she wants to cherish her own childhood and be a child herself. It's why the scenes like when they both meet Totoro for the first time feels so weird and overly long, because Setsuki is trying both to protect Mei from the rain and talk with Totoro at the same time.

It becomes a lot concerntrated if you watch it in the original way it was screened, back-to-back with Grave of the Fireflies.

Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery appeared on Amazon Prime, so now I get to see it.

I basically spent the whole 80 minutes sat in incredulous disbelief that this thing exists.

• Like 2

Next Goal Wins should be watched by everyone, regardless of whether you like football or not. If you've ever liked an underdog story, I feel like you'll like this.

It could bring a tear to a glass eye. Altho it does make me think I might have a chance in the American Samoa football team.

• Like 2

(Major spoiler within)

I was just so happy for Nicky, every one of them deserved it, but how good that must have felt for him after spending his international career without a win, and having suffered that humiliation against Oz. Dudes heart is something else, he could have stayed retired with no worries.

I have mixed feelings towards Fantastic Mr Fox. I think it's a very sharp film and I really like the voice acting in the film. But I feel there's something off about it, it's quite a British book in my eyes and Wes Anderson doesn't bring that across in the film. It all feels too American.

Edited by Gorka

I totally thought I was going to hate Fantastic Mr. Fox from the trailers, and I avoided it in the cinema for that reason.

Having seen it on TV later on, I simply adore it. It's not in any way the same thing as the Roald Dahl book, but whatever it is is magnificent.

Just from having glanced at its poster, I expected Robot & Frank to be mostly a sentimental examination of old age and such. I did not expect him to be taking the robot on jewel heists. :shifty:

So yes, a much more fun film than I thought it would be.

Kiki's Delivery Service is lovely. I loved that the story was just Kiki's emotional journey and never felt like it needed to be anything more.

Yes! Rewatched it again and somehow loved it so much more. The change in relationship between her and Jiji was really quite beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

The Darjeeling Limited was pretty middle-of-the-road for me, as far as Wes Anderson films go. Better than Moonrise Kingdom, but nowhere near the level of The Grand Budapest Hotel or Fantastic Mr. Fox. I think I'd place it *just* below The Royal Tenenbaums, though it's been a little while since I saw the latter so I'm not entirely sure.

Pokémon 17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction had some cool looking villains, but not much else going for it. Never felt any emotional investment, and even the cutesy legendary wasn't nearly as cute as all the rest that've had films. Probably the worst Pokémon film I've seen.

... and the Pikachu turning to stone scene just felt like a poor and cheap attempt to redo the first film's amazing heart wrenching scene.

Watched Looper last night, alright in bits with a naff ending. I liked the fact JGL was doing Willis mannerisms throughout, even though you'd need to watch his other films to know that. The prosthetics were pretty impressive too.