What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The English dubs are horrible. It has nothing to with it being in the way it was meant or whatever this weaboo thing is, the voice actors just muck up all the emotion that the Japanese ones portrayed. Watching My Neighbour Totoro with the dubbing was fucking horrible, Mei came off as a gigantic douchebag (and she is like a 4 year old character!) and Satsuki was whiny as hell.

• Like 1

It Follows

If you have even a passing interest in horror films, you have to see this.

I'm not big on horror but I appreciate a good one when it comes around. I've heard amazing things about it.

Its not worth your time, it is plodding and has a number of ridiculous jumps, particularly the plan in the climax.

??? I thought the movie was incredibly light on jump scares. Hardly any at all.

I meant jumps in logic/story. The whole final act had no build at all, it was like 'oh, lets try electrocution', 'lets trying shooting it even though that didn't work at the beach'.

I loved it, really well shot. I guess some people will consider it plodding, but the pacing sure seemed deliberate to me, to match the sort of creeping dread they're dealing with.

It Follows

I'm not big on horror but I appreciate a good one when it comes around. I've heard amazing things about it.

Its not worth your time, it is plodding and has a number of ridiculous jumps, particularly the plan in the climax.

I meant jumps in logic/story. The whole final act had no build at all, it was like 'oh, lets try electrocution', 'lets trying shooting it even though that didn't work at the beach'.

The director's straight-up said that the plan isn't meant to be an act of genius or super clever or anything. It's teenagers trying shit.

The point is that at

best what it did was force the thing to regroup and hold off until later. The shot of Paul driving through a bad area of town, slowing down at the sight of some hookers is likely an indicator that he's taking measures to keep it away from him in the same way Jay did with the guys on the boat.

V/H/S/2 (2013), is worth watching for just one epic short. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. So, the first shot is meh. The second one has a fun idea (made by the directors of Blair Witch), The third one is where it's at! It's made by Gareth Evans, you know the guy who made the Raid 1 and 2, hopefully he will make a horror flick next. He's helped by Timo Tjahjanto, never heard of him. And the final one is stupid.

But that one by Gareth Evans is just fucking brilliant. Insane stuff.

It Follows

The director's straight-up said that the plan isn't meant to be an act of genius or super clever or anything. It's teenagers trying shit.

The point is that at

best what it did was force the thing to regroup and hold off until later. The shot of Paul driving through a bad area of town, slowing down at the sight of some hookers is likely an indicator that he's taking measures to keep it away from him in the same way Jay did with the guys on the boat.

The best part of all that is that it

doesn't work. The entity knows what they're doing and just starts throwing toasters at her head. The whole point is the deus ex machina that would wrap up most other movies doesn't work here.

What shorts are there? Are they all on DVDs or can you get them online, ideally legally?

There are three for phase 1 and two for phase 2. I believe the only way you can watch them online is illegally, otherwise you'd need the blu-ray.

Phase 1's is The Consultant, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer and Item 47.

Phase 2 is Agent Carter and All Hail the King.

Lots of gross-out humor and idiotic stories, presented as if they were being pitched to a studio mogul at gunpoint? That might actually work in the horror genre.

Kiki's Delivery Service just climbed up my Ghibli rankings, I think. Don't know why I connected so much more with her this time around, but she has to be one of the best characters around ever. Just so easy to relate to her.

Interstellar - Got it in the mail from Netflix yesterday, but didn't watch it until this evening. Good movie, but a bit long (clocks in at at 2 hours and 49 minutes), and starts out slow, but well worth the wait. Can't give half star ratings on Netflix's website, so I'm giiving it a 4 there, but I really give it a 4 and a half.

We should be getting either Big Hero 6 or Boyhood next.

To the suprise of no-one, I loved The Cat Returns. It has cats, it has a charismatic rogue, a likeable and believable main character, and some great comedy. Add to that it totally ignores several story telling tropes in favour of more concise and fun storytelling, and it's probably my favourite Ghibli film so far.

• Like 2