What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

6305475822.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Wing Commander - 3/10

Before you say anything, it was early in the morning...and I didn't care.

B000ADWDEI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kicking and Screaming - 6/10

I don't know if it was because a shitty movie like Wing Commander came before it or what, but I got a chuckle out of it.

The Crow: Wicked Prayer - 3.5/10

The 3.5 rating there is SOLELY for David Boreanaz. I swear, without him, this film would easily be the worst I have ever seen, everything else was atrocious. The story was one of two things; atrocious if you've seen the original, and poor and random if you know nothing of the original. Trying to watch it as it's own film was difficult, but everything was just really bad...bad...bad!

I recommend this solely to David Boreanaz fans. He channels a little bit of Angellus towards the end, which is always great. Now to go watch the original and forget this piece of shit.

The Crow - 9.5/10

One of my favourite films of all time, and maybe it's just because I watched it after seeing the Crow: Wicked Prayer, but it seemed to be even better last night!

Brick 7.5/10

A really well thought out, good film. I like how nior-esque the film is (certain camera shots/styles/techniques, the way the chracters act and speak, etc). The dude frim 3rd Rock From the Sun is really good as lead character. Some of the supporting cast is good too, but others you'd like a little more back story, maybe. Still, a good film.

X-Men 7.5/10

Haven't seen it for ages. A good film, and a good intro the the trilogy. Jackman, Stewart and McKellen are really good, with a decent support. (Although Halle Berry is quite rubbish... as usual).

X-Men 2 8/10

Continues pretty much straight on from the first one. Story is slightly better, with some good character progression and a few cool new characters. (I don't know anyone else's opinion, but I quite liked Nightcrawler, and find it a pity he isn't going to be in the third film). Hopefully, the final film will be an immense conclusion to one ofthe better trilogies in recent years. Not quite LOTR, imo, but probably on the next tier down.

B00005JOVH.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55821548_.jpg

X-Men: The Last Stand - 7/10

I'm quite stunned to find that so much is going for X-Men 3 this time around. Sure, the finale gets a little one-liner heavy, but the middle act is stellar, with key twists and all truly chnging the fabric of the series but not fucking up previous developments. The performances are solid, barring say Halle Berry's Storm (yet again...and the only thing I don't like is the prospects for her as far as sequels go). The plotlines are also stellarly done, and I really liked the new characters like Kelsey Grammer's Beast and Vinnie Jones's Juggernaut. Overall, Ratner's step to the plate isn't the Batman and Robin death-knell to the series. He gets enough help from screenwriters Zak Penn (who did write X2) and Simon Kinberg to make certain he isn't fucking it up.

Edited by just ROC...

X-Men 3: 4/10

Just a poor way to close out the trilogy. Mutants who are great in the comics are turned into nothing more then background here and storylines take a back seat to special effects. Especially love the part when Magneto is moving he bridge and it's day time, 3 seconds later it's nighttime. Very well done. /sarcasm

B000BBOUUE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Havoc - 6/10

It seems kind of weird that another Bully-style film would come a mere four years after Larry Clark's excess infused "teenage wasteland in trouble" flick. Even Bijou Phillips from Bully is a part of the cast. Admittedly, this isn't as vile as the Clark film but rather more on the satirical side. Watching the feature, it's obvious the film is picking off "wigger and spoiled brat" lifestyles and revealing them for what they are: attempts to escape the boredom of being rich. Oh, and if the film sucked, it always would have the infamy of being that one movie not about gay cowboys where Hathaway went nude.

B0007Y08IS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Team America: World Police - 8/10

Excellent satire, hilarious gross-out comedy, fun action movie. Parker and Stone are just genius.

B00005JOC7.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51984635_.jpg

The Da Vinci Code - 4/10

3 hours of badly adapted story, completely losing the original material's heart and with awkward transitions, inconsistent performances and two dimensional characters. Ron Howard's adaptation is completely toothless; an effort to float by without any real statements and to cash in on an audience's passing interest in religious rebellion without insulting the believers. It's mush in celluloid form.

posterslither20fl.jpg

Slither - 7/10

Now this is some fun B-Movie goodness. Nathan Fillion is a solid lead, Elizabeth Banks, Michael Rooker and Gregg Henry round out a great supporting cast while director James Gunn certainly makes sure the film falls adaquetely under the "gross out movie" category. I'll guarantee you this, you can watch this film for 90 minutes without being preached to, bored or offended. You'll probably just lose your appetite.

Edited by Chester Elegante The Beatnik

B00005JOUY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction - 3/10

Boring and uninspired, Basic Instinct 2 is a psychological thriller for hapless idiots with a 10 second attention span. Have you ever wondered why soap operas are generally not made into movies? On TV, they work because they're written in a day, filmed in a day and aired a few weeks later. The problem is this film feels like it must certainly have followed the same process, because there's not enough here to make out a distinguishable plot. Sharon Stone is basically here shouting at audiences "Hey, look at me! I'm still sexy, and it doesn't matter that I still can't act!". And her co-star David Morrissey is quite certainly here only for a paycheck, and it shows. The only thing keeping the film from historic levels of awful is David Thewlis' fantastic performance as Detective Washburn, the only possible good guy in the story. Or maybe not. The characters are so loosely designed that we never have any idea. B-grade skin movie direction, terrible (generally) peformances and one of those way the fuck out there senseless endings make this one worth not only skipping, but picking up a copy, burning it with gasoline and then burying the ashes.