What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Space Jam

7/10

Vastly under-rated film. Yeah, it's a Looney Tunes film, and just mindless fun, but it's fantastic. There's a lot of in-jokes in there, it's all really well thought-out, and the completely illogical Bill Murray cameo at the end (I know he was in it earlier, but it's his appearance in the Looney Tunes world that makes his part great) is one of the greatest moments in movie history. FACT.

I love Bill Murray, I do.

Kiki's Delivery Service

One of only 3 Studio Ghibli films I watched during my vacation I hadn't previously seen, this one was one of those things that made me feel questionable on it. On the plus hand, it was a good movie, which helped. However, the timing probably wasn't right for a first viewing- I was watching it my first time as the last film of a needed intense marathon for the purpose of one of my term papers (always a bad thing to get into a movie), which kind of left me a little drained. 7/10, but could probably get to 8 or 9 in a different period.

Rent

Saw it following getting up to Rutland (the last "city" on my way back to college) remarkably early in the day. Didn't see Rent on stage, so was going in clean to it. As such, it led to the question: Can straight males still enjoy this movie? I liked it well enough, or at least as well as I thought I would. 7.5/10

B00005U0HG.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

It's like a quoting marathon as everyone recites just about every line of the film. Even the ones that aren't actually funny. But then, I was in pain from giggling just from the anticipation of the starting credits.

Genius.

10/10

Edited by stokeriño

Guest muddatrucker

1.jpg

Gangs of New York

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've seen this movie, there aren't many films that I'll watch again and again (even though I have tonnes of DVD's, but long films in particular. I know alot of people who don't like this film but I loved it, especially DiCaprio's role, I always thought he was a grade A cunt till I saw this movie, it rocks.

9/10

Its possible that I've rated it differently in the past, but lets forget about the past.

I lied...about the '05 flick.

No reviews, just grades because there are too many of them...

The Perfect Score - 5/10

The Warriors - 8/10

Mean Girls - 7/10

In Good Company - 7/10

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - 8/10

Top Gun - 6/10

B00004RF85.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Crush - 4/10

Meh. Silverstone seems more focused on flaunting her (then) jailbaitness and not doing much more while Cary Elwes is just bland when he isn't a Dread Pirate. And even Kurtwood Smith isn't really enough to save from being just another throwaway thriller.

B0006QAIG4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

She Hate Me - 2/10

Very fucked up in structure. In the first scene, we see a very melodramatic atmosphere and then suddenly the story gets flipped into a sex comedy. Let's also not forget that the story (no matter its genre tone) makes no sense whatsoever, the performers (including Q-Tip) feel wasted in one-dimensional roles, and the film goes on for far too long. Spike seems too ingrained about sexual lesbian stereotypes, racial stereotypes (they just HAVE to have the corrupt white man, played by Woody Harrelson), and about casting sexy ladies maybe for his own trailer or something. It's just all a dreckful, awful mess.

B00005JO1V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - 8/10

Disney brings us another long awaited novel adaptation with The Chronicles of Narnia, which is based on author C.S. Lewis's famed series. In this version of the story, the White Witch is played by the porcelain and yet almost beautiful Tilda Swinton, whereas familiar actors like Liam Neeson provide life to the talking creatures of Narnia. The story, directed by Shrek helmer Andrew Adamson, does start rather slow and gets to be a bit melodramatic. Adamson, though, progresses the story with more action and drama which all leads to the jawdropping final battle between the four children and their army fighting for Aslan and the White Witch's attack force. It's all just so amazing to watch on screen. If you loved the novels, I can't see a way you'd hate this rather faithful flick. It gets the honor of being one of the more awesome flicks of '05.

(OOC: I swear to God I can't be the ONLY one who's been watching movies lately...)

Chronicles of Narnia 8/10

I have to agree with ROC, very slow in the beginning and really picks up towards the end. The battle is AMAZING, and I think it sets up nicely for a sequel if Disney will continue. I'm sure it will, Disney just wants to see how well it does at the box office, and judging by how many people bought tickets today, I can't wait to see the sequel.

Cinderella Man 9.5/10

Just an amazing and powerful film, never felt like there was a part where it dragged on. It's an amazing job of bringing such a wonderful story to life.

Chronicals of Narnia:The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: 8/10

Does justice to C.S. Lewis' Classic novel. Jaw-Dropping 3rd act with amazing special effects which will come 2nd to King Kong.

B00005JMAI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Harry Potter And the Goblet Of Fire - 7/10

An odd trend has been occurring with the Harry Potter series. While the first three films in the series got progressively better, the box office totals went down with each installment. Interestingly enough, the 4th film of the series continues that trend, but in a different way: while the box office numbers look as if it may eventually become the second highest grossing in the series, it is also a clear step back from Alfonso Cuaran's "Harry Potter And the Prisoner of Azkaban". Now I don't want to sound like I'm reflecting negatively on this film; it's one of the better efforts you're likely to see in theatres this year. The special effects are the best so far, and the young actors have gotten to be considerable assets. The film also benefits from having extremely strong source material, as the original book is considered by many to be the best in the series. However, it seems the book's length may have taken its toll on screenwriter Steve Kloves and director Mike Newell; while fast moving and exciting, the film glosses over so many important details that the viewer feels detached at times throughout the film. It is a slippery slope to assume the viewer has read the original source material, and as such many movie-goers will likely have trouble following the plot of the film, which clocks in at just over 2 and a half hours. It also clearly lacks the even handed direction of Alfonso Cuaran, who could be at one moment whimsical and the other brooding. This film has murky direction, and while it may be a treat to watch visually, there seemed to be few dimensions to how Newell tells his story. Nevertheless it's undoubtedly going to be a favorite for fans, and while non-fans may lose the plot at points, it's worth the price of admission nonetheless. Thumbs up.