What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JOHR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A History of Violence - 8/10

This is by some margin David Cronenberg's best film, and the first in a while to have a beautifully plotted storyline. Cronenberg can get lost in the subtext at times, but with this film we can follow along without being sidetracked in themes. Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello both give Oscar worthy performances. On the visual side of things, this is a beautiful looking film; there's not a dull shot throughout. A powerful score underlines some of the key sequences, and the final scene, which would have been dull and underwritten in any other filmmaker's hands, turns out to be a great dramatic point. It's brutally violent, and unlike Sin City, not sanitized slightly by the use of black and white cinematography, but that's the point; the contrast of the quiet mid-west and the brutality of mob life is what makes "A History of Violence" so intriguing. Thumbs up to the first "must see" film of Award Season.

B00005JO0V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 7.5/10

Although I've never actually watched any of the previous W&G efforts, I can honestly say that this about as involving as stop animation gets. These characters are some of the most lifelike as I've ever seen within the medium. Not only is this a great movie for the kids, but the infinite number of cultural references and jabs make it great for non-parents as well. Obviously it's the anti-"A History of Violence", but with such a witty screenplay and beautiful visuals, there's no lack of intrigue. While the voice acting can be a little underwhelming at some points, Peter Sallis is superb voicing the lead character. "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" is a triumph for the whole family, and on par with the creators' last box office hit "Chicken Run". Thumbs up.

B000087F6L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fahrenheit 451 - 7/10

French director Francois Truffaut helms the 1967 adaptation of the famed Ray Bradbury novel, and does a rather good job preserving the literary elements that made the book fascinating. Oskar Werner makes a fascinating Guy Montag, and Julie Christie does a rather good job at playing both Montag's wife Linda (changed from Mildred in the book) and his curious neighbor. It's not as good, persay, as the book, but Truffaut did his best with what he could.

And perhaps the remake's director (the also French) Frank Darabont will make something good that much better. (Though, he should. After all, it was him who was responsible for The Shawshank Redemption.)

B00003CY6D.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

American Pie 2 - 6/10

I dunno, this part wasalways the most awkward part of the series to me. The first one had some awkward freshness about it and the third one held its raucous antics with soft behavior, but this part is just potty humor with no real growth from the characters. Sure, Jim makes a decision, but there's almost no repercussion and growth for any of the other people involved. It's still funny, but it's more the awkward middle chapter than the fantastic comedies the other two were.

B00003CXP1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Requiem for a Dream - 9/10

You love contradictions? Well, get ready for the biggest one of them all. I'm gonna say a film is surreal and brilliant and yet recommend you to never see it. Yep, that fucking brutal. If you do, do it at a time in your life where...umm...you won't do anything to yourself after you see it...we'll say that.

That is all. I praise you Darren Aronofsky for creating such a brilliant film...yet I chide you at the same time for making me more depressed than if the Saints went 0-16. Though, I suppose that isn't any worse than they already are...Sigh.

:(

Serenity 9/10

Went to see it again, and managed to enjoy it even more. My personal film of the year. Just simply awesome.

Edited by timmayy

B000A0GP0Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Longest Yard - 6/10

Fast moving and funny, "The Longest Yard" serves as a proper addition to the sports-film lexicon, even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel, or turn the wheel much for that matter. Like "The Replacements" before it, this Adam Sandler starring vehicle has taken a bankable star (formerly Keanu Reeves), given him a cast of talented supporting talents (formerly Jack Warden, Gene Hackman and Brooke Langton) and, as is so common with modern sports themed movies, borrowed heavily from the Burt Reynolds starring 1974 film "The Longest Yard". Only this time it's a remake, so the heavy lifting is not only acceptable, it's to be accepted. This 2005 reinterpretation doesn't carry the same gravitas as the original (the PG-13 rating might serve as a reasonable explanation for that), but the characters are effectively sympathetic, and we can really get behind their plight despite their obvious moral shortcomings. Some sequences fall flat, and the jokes aren't particularly sharp (or anything we haven't seen countless times in other Sandler comedies), but Adam Sandler is convincing as the bitter ex-NFLer, and Chris Rock, Burt Reynolds, Bob Sapp and Terry Crews all endear themselves to the point that it's hard not to recommend despite it's obvious shortcomings. Thumbs up.

ROC's review on Requiem for a Dream may be one of the most spot-on reviews in this entire thread. It's a fantastic movie that I wish I never watched and will probably never watch again. It's just way too much.

Farenheit 451 is a special film. It's great and no-one knows about it.

Anyways...

Gosford Park: 9/10

Watched it last night for the first time in a while and it really is a couple of hours of pure escapism. THe first half is exploring the relationships and differences between the upper class and their servants at a big weekend shoot and get-together with some of the best casting I've seen in any film, let alone Brit-flick. Clive Owen is magniicent, Maggie Smith is hilarious, Richard E Grant is perfect, Ryan Phillippe is perfectly slimy, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, Derek Jacobi and Emily Watson and playing their parts with brilliance.

It's not just the actors singularly though, it's all about the relationships, how they play off eachother and the like - which is a joy to watch.

When Stephen Fry turns up in the second half as the bumbling inspector, the comedy really breaks out as rich and lavish as the story and setting.

I think American and British audiences would see it completely differently which is half the joy. The Brits'll laugh at the intricacies and subtleties and the casual mickey-taking of Americans and solidification of the British mentality (American: "Don't you Brits ever laugh?" British Servant: "We do if something is funny sir") while American audiences will probably laugh at an absurdity of a class system that they never really experienced over the pond.

The film won Best Director for Robert Altman at the Golden Globes and Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars and deserved both, if not more.

Highly recommended, although there's no graphic sex or violence and is not littered with swearing or noirish voice overs.

Screw it, this is where cinema really excels.

Clerks 8/10

A film that wasn't overly funny (but still was in places), but with such endearing and likeable characters, it didn't need to be. Just a 'comfortable' film if that makes sense.... I cant relaly describe it any other way. What happens? Not a lot. But its not boring at all, and I really got into the two main characters days. Is funny in places, characters that are very watchable, good film on what was a very low budget.

<center>Ran: 9.5/10

poster_under_licence.gif</center>

Akira Kurosawa's take on the Shakespearian tragedy King Lear is beautiful, thought provoking and visually stunning.

Action is wonderfully realised, the script is full of subtleties and the shooting style is beyond that of Hollywood today, which is impressive considering the film is over 20 years old.

An old warlord gives his kingdom over to his three sons, but while the older two butter him up, the youngest tells him he's a fool and is banished.

But when the warlord is disowned by his power hungry sons, he realises that the younger son is the one who has a real son's love for him, and is too ashamed to ask for help, decending (quite magnificently) into madness as his older brothers fight for power around him.

The characters are well realised, the fight scenes amazingly choreographed and the heart of the film is huge. THe .5 is lost due to the odd bit of dodgy pacing in parts, and that no film really deserves a 10.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Porky's -- 9/10

No elaborate review. It's just a flatout funny movie. I think my favourite scenes were the dick in the shower hole or when Coach Roy found out why they call her Lassie.

B000ADWDE8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kicking And Screaming - 4/10

Cliched and unoriginal, "Kicking And Screaming" rests all of its hopes on the physical comedy of Will Ferrell. Unfortunately, while he does deliver most of the time, nearly all of the supporting cast seem well out of their element, and the child actors come off less endearing than annoying. The little league comedy genre has been done to death, and if you've seen a few of the films it has produced, you're not likely to find much new here. If you're a Ferrell fan, you're better off checking out any of the multitude of films he's done that are more laugh out loud funny and creative than this one, and if you already have, you'll find nothing new from him either. This is a PG-13 version of "Frank the Tank", a 1990's "Ron Bergundy" and a caffeinated "Buddy the Elf". Jesse Dylan (yes, he's Bob's son) has directed his first disappointment in this film, after two very successful physical comedies ("American Wedding", "How High"). This is a obvious starring vehicle for Will Ferrell, and a lame one at that. Thumbs down.

Matrix - 9/10 - One of my all time favourite movies, watching the trilogy because I was reading something the other day about it and felt like watching it again.

Matrix Reloaded - 8.5/10 - Not as good as the original, but still a very good movie. I love all the Architect, Merovingian stuff and deeper meanings. Can't wait for the next Wachowski project V for Vendetta.

Hollow Man - 7/10.

B000053W5H.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Awesome film, crappy ending. I wanted the hollow man to escape for a sequel. Letting the two most annoying characters in the whole film the only survivors was fucking retarded. I loved the special effects though, they were insane.