What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Chumscrubber - 9/10

One of the most original movies I've seen all this year. The ending montage bit felt tacked on but it was still funny in it's own right. Replaces Crash as my favorite film this year.

B000683VHA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pursued - 2/10

Christian Slater’s seemingly endless dive into the crap pool of film may have reached its worst with this horribly cliche, illogically plotted, horribly acted, and overall stupid 2004 thriller. But at least Slater and co-star Michael Clarke Duncan have a smidge of acting talent, something that can not be said for lead actor Gil Bellows, who clearly must’ve learned from the Chris Klein School of Bad Acting. And don’t think I’m counting Estella Warren out of this just because of her hotness, either. Ugh, if Showtime keeps showing awful movies like this at a consistant rate (they also premiered the awful Ali Landry comedy that I just reviewed Who’s Your Daddy this week and debuted National Lampoon’s Dorm Daze not too long ago), I’m gonna beg somebody in the house to cancel the subscription. Ugh.

Guest Thiia Deshi

Blow - Great Film, even better with Johnny Depp playing a big role in it. I advise you all to rent/download/buy/borrow this film, its fantastic

9/10

broken_flowers.jpg

Broken Flowers - 10/10

What the hell? I've seen two of the best movies of the year in the span of 24 hours. Bill Murray deserves the Best Actor award finally for this as it's probably the best performance he's ever given. This movie kicks so much ass!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Great film. Liked it much better than the original. The kids done a fantastic job in their roles and again Johnny Depp shows us why he is one of the greatest actors of all time.

9/10

Star Trek: Insurrection 6.5/10

Better than Generations, worse than Nemesis, WAY worse than First Contact. Decent film, but not that great a story, and lacks a certain 'must watch' factor, and a feeling of drama/tension.

The Sixth Sense: 8.5/10

IMOShamalans best.

B00005JMZK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alien vs. Predator - 4/10

From the brash and extremely lucky writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson, whose credits include the entertaining Mortal Kombat, the dual box office flops Solider and Event Horizon, and the underwhelming Resident Evil movies, comes his poorly written, PG-13 dream come true Alien vs. Predator. Sure, I shouldn’t blame Anderson on the PG-13 decision, considering it was actually 20th Century Fox that turned two R-rated franchises into bad PG-13 fodder foir the kiddies. But it’s quite clear that Anderson wasn’t exactly James Camerson, David Fincher, or even Jean-Pierre Jeunet in the directing chair nor did he match the screenplay heights of the original Alien from Ron Shusett and Dan O’Bannon or even Joss Whedon’s likely butchered screenplay for Alien Resurrection.

As for the acting, well...it’s not good. Sanaa Lathan, the only slightly talented actor of the crew (barring Lance Henriksen), doesn’t even give in a good performance. Then again, why would I be thinking of things like writing, directing, and acting in a VS. movie? And the action scenes are where the film’s only saving grace is. But even movies that know that their purpose is for popcorn action (War of the Worlds anybody?) develop their characters and make the story intriguing. This film makes the story boring and therefore makes you uninterested in the battle between Alien and Predator.

In short, Paul W.S. Anderson should just go home, write RE 3 and have fun with Milla while he can...

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets: 6.5/10

Unlike most Harry Potter fans I know(excluding this board), I think the third is vastly superior then the first two films, and am eagerly anticipating the Goblet Of Fire with Newell at the helm.

I just thought I'd pop into EWB to remind you guys never to watch anything that is direct-to-video....

B0009FU0ZG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

7 Seconds - *

What the fuck happened to Wesley Snipes? I can't say that I miss him in real movies, but he fell....fast.

B0000C2IQP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sweet Sixteen - 8/10

Not many moviegoers see enough foreign films in their lifetime, and that's a shame considering many foreign releases like La Femme Nikita, Open Your Eyes, Amores Perros, and City of God have been much more stellar than 90% of the films in the mainstream. (And that's not including Brit movies like Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later) Chock up another one with the Irish-made Sweet Sixteen. There's fantastic acting in the feature, something that also dispells the stereotype that all Irish people either wear green or talk like leprechauns. The story, while very tragic at points, is very gripping and highly engrossing. It's a bit of a depressive flick, but impressively made and well written on all accounts. If you're a fan of flicks that lean this way like Requiem for a Dream, you'll want to check out this.

B00005221O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

X-Files - 7/10

I heard some reviews call it crap, some say good, some say average, and I fall into the 'good' category. I love the X-Files TV series and this was the first time I've ever seen the film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

My only gripe with the film, however, is that at times it felt like a glorified episode of the show, but that's only a minor gripe.

B0002VE5GW.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Shrek 2 - 10/10

Hilarious film. I loved it. Bought it a little while back only felt like watching it tonight, and I regret not having seen it sooner.

In ways it's better than the first one. The animations were jaw-dropping good, and everything was so good. I loved the "Pop Idol" type thing on the DVD extras.

B00005JMXD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dawn Of The Dead (2004): 7/10.

No fucking around with a story, just zombie action all the way. Reminded me of GTA meets Resident Evil. Good film, and I liked the end as well, left it open to the viewer as to what exactly happened to the survivors (you have to watch through the credits to see what happens). I somehow feel unfulfilled though. :(