What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JNJM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Grudge - 7.5/10

Lots of dislike for this one, but I enjoyed it. Very creepy atmosphere and not exactly your typical horror movie. Sarah Michelle Gellar was good, but my biggest gripe was there was no real reason to care about the characters other than one (I won't say who to avoid spoilers). Despite the lack of care for the characters (which most horror movies lack to begin with), this was still an incredibly solid film that scared the hell out of me. I would see this twice before seeing Saw again, that's for damn sure.

Alien Versus Predator: 7/10

A tremendously under-rated film, it actually hit my expectations because people were saying it was bad. It is a film I enjoy mostly because of intruige, so I don't think a second viewing would be good, and I hated the way Predator seemed almost like a dog to the humans, but otherwise damn good.

B000069I1I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Queen of the Damned - 3/10 or (*) A few months ago, I tried to watch the cut they showed on HBO. I remember falling asleep during it, which at first I blamed on tiredness. If you're wondering why I'm mentioning my lack of insomnia, this is why....

Queen of the Damned may be the most boring vampire movies I've EVER seen. I think the only time I wasn't really bored came when they played "The Sickness" by Disturbed. Not to mention, why must EVERY VAMPIRE copy Brandon Lee's classic Crow look from the goth classic The Crow? Really, can't somebody be a vampire that's not pale-faced? The best performance in tripe like this? The end credits. Now, enter the bottom 10, my love.

B00005JNKU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Birth - **

From director Jonathan Glazer (Sexy Beast) comes Birth, the latest attempt by Nicole Kidman to take two steps off the beat and path of her typical role and try something entirely new. This is still a love story of course, but this one differs majorly from the norm; the romantic lead is an eleven year old boy. Putting aside the controversy this has caused (a particular scene in the middle of the movie drew boos from a Venice audience); the film is a mish mashed drag that moves glacially yet still manages to throw its viewers. Some of the film is intriguing, and Cameron Bright is very good in this role. I liked the camera work, and the dull colours set the mood for the dark theme the film would quickly inherit. Nicole Kidman is of course, sufficient in her role. In fact, I can't remember the last time she's been unable to at least slightly prop up any film she appears in. However, this is her second consecutive misstep of the year; first the painfully generic Stepford Wives, now this. Unfortunately despite it's sloth like pace, the movie still manages to be nonsensical, especially when it attempts to be non-verbal and convey everything with an emotion. A massively disappointing, if well directed and acted drama. Thumbs down.

Queen of the Damned - 3/10 or (*) A few months ago, I tried to watch the cut they showed on HBO. I remember falling asleep during it, which at first I blamed on tiredness. If you're wondering why I'm mentioning my lack of insomnia, this is why....

Queen of the Damned may be the most boring vampire movies I've EVER seen. I think the only time I wasn't really bored came when they played "The Sickness" by Disturbed. Not to mention, why must EVERY VAMPIRE copy Brandon Lee's classic Crow look from the goth classic The Crow? Really, can't somebody be a vampire that's not pale-faced? The best performance in tripe like this? The end credits. Now, enter the bottom 10, my love.

Wait...so, Vampires can't be pale-faced? You do know that in Anne Rice's novels, which were out LONG before The Crow, the vampires were all described as having increasingly paling faces as they grew older, right? And since this movie IS based on Rice's novels, I'd say that it has every right to show the pale-faced fiends in all their glory.

Personally, I enjoyed this movie, but probably only because I'm a huge Rockstar-ish type guy, and I love vampires (most notably Rice's novels.) I was upset that they combined the two novels, but the movie as a stand-alone is pretty good. 6/10.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

B00005JM7T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Cat In The Hat - 3.5/10 or (*1/2) Amazing! I missed an edited cut of Pulp Fiction on AMC and an unedited cut of Dark Blue on Showtime to watch this turkey. I would kick myself for that one, but I'm still waiting until HBO picks PF up to watch the ENTIRE film uncut. Oh yeah, and needless to say, Cat in the Hat sucks too.

EDIT: Kinda hard for people to know what you're talking about when the film isn't inserted.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt