What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Transamerica - 7.5/10 Felicity Huffman does a great performance, and its a quirky little indy movie. Liked it.

Kiss the Girls - 6.5/10 Nothing great. Without Morgan Freeman I probably would've quit watching. No thrillers impress me much anymore, since Silence of the Lambs is my favorite movie ever.

The Strangers

Ugh. It's alright, but that's it. If you've seen the trailer, there really isn't much point watching the movie. It's that annoying. If you stumbled across the movie without seeing any previews for it, then chances are you'll REALLY enjoy it. The trouble is, after seeing the preview, I spent 70 minutes watching the movie without the main part of the trailer even taking place, and when that did, there was like 5 minutes left in the movie. I expected a lot more from it to be honest. :(

EDIT: If you think I'm being harsh, just say. I just didn't find the constant teasing of something happening for over an hour and then not much happening at all too appealing. It kinda reminded me of When A Stranger Calls, which was equally bad for doing it.

Edited by Badd-um-tsch

My Name is Bruce - (Y)

This is a sort of like. Some bits are horrid, but when the film focuses on Bruce's movies or in ridiculous situations (i.e. the ending), the film works. Which thankfully is a little more of the runtime than the bad bits.

The Wrestler

As I said in the official thread, Mickey Rourke gives the perfect performance in his role. Everyone must see this movie, especially wrestling fans.

Diary of the Dead

Fantastic premise hindered by the most unlikeable cast of characters in any movie I've seen recently.

Be Kind Rewind

Very cute and nothing like what I expected. Mos Def is criminally underrated in just about everything he does.

Hamlet 2

Funny, but definitely requires a certain sense of humor.

Be Kind Rewind

Very cute and nothing like what I expected. Mos Def is criminally underrated in just about everything he does..

Really? I honestly really disliked Mos Def in this film, he just really annoyed me. Maybe it was his character, but I expected something cute from this film, but I was slightly let down.

I actually kind of dislike that everyone takes the piss out of BKR. It's not like Eternal Sunshine awesome, but it's better than the people who shrug it off because OH NOEZ, IT'S GOT JACK BLACK IN ITZ.

I saw The Unborn.

I can sum it up this way. I went to the bathroom just as one of the more "suspenseful" parts was kicking in. When I came back, everyone in the theatre was laughing at the "scary" part. That happened a lot during the movie.

Scary movie fails at being scary. Therefore, scary movie sucks.

I have watched seven films since Friday. Hooray!

Them! - 4/5

Jaws - 5/5

Duh.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 3/5

Not as funny on the second viewing. There's a lot of good material in there that's badly executed. I notice Zooey Deschanel plays the same character she later plays in Yes Man.

Jaws 2 - 4/5

Very underrated sequel.

I Am Legend - 4/5 with original ending, 3/5 with alternate ending

The alternate ending is full of sunshine and flowers. Fuck it.

Jaws 3 - 2/5

Dull retread of the first two films.

Jaws: The Revenge - 1/5

Deservedly infamous.

Last Wednesday Peter Benchley's (the writer of Jaws) wife Wendy donated a bunch of money to my office. This brings my celebrity donation record to Stephan and Evelyn Colbert, some asshole from Melrose Place, a NY Ranger from the team that last won the cup, and Wendy Benchley.

City of Men. A billion stars.

The only downside was that Starz aired a dubbed version. Badly. dubbed. I'd have much rather seen it subtitled and it in its original Portugese.

Though I'm pretty fucking sure that STEVEN BLUM voiced one of the main characters' fathers. That's a quarter million stars right there.

But yeah, was a brilliant movie.

Seven Pounds - 2/5

Rubbish. Totally predictable, the characterisation is very flimsy for a character driven film, and it's phony on an emotional level. Also:

Will Smith's death by jellyfish was hilarious. I don't think that was Gabriele Muccino's intention.

The Wrestler - 5/5

After I see this for a second time, I fully expect it to become one of my top 25 films. I believe I would feel the same way if I wasn't a wrestling fan due to the phenomenal characters, acting, narrative blah blah blah. Simply brilliant.

Conan the Barbarian - 3/5

The film is so bizarre that you can't help but like it.

American Psycho. A jillion Christian Bales out of a jillion. Seriously, I love this film. It's so.. I don't know. I want to say "dark" but I don't think that even covers it. The scene with Paul Allen, the axe and Huey Lewis & The News' "Fore" is amazing.

American Psycho. A jillion Christian Bales out of a jillion. Seriously, I love this film. It's so.. I don't know. I want to say "dark" but I don't think that even covers it. The scene with Paul Allen, the axe and Huey Lewis & The News' "Fore" is amazing.

I especially love the bit after he's fucked the prostitutes and they're lying in bed, presumably asleep, or in Bateman's case, deep in thought. One of the whores turns over in her sleep and her hand drops onto Batemans, which causes him to bitch "Don't touch the watch!" Absolutely hilarious in the context which is genius given how literally seconds later you're thinking holy shit, he's about to do some dark shit here.

The Wrestler - 5/5 - a wonderful movie even if you aren't a fan of wrestling this movie will pull you in.

American Psycho - 5/5 - patrick Bateman rocks enough said

Juno - 5/5 - quirky romantic comedy , not for everybody but I loved it

Urban Cowboy -5/5 a Classic Travolta at his best

Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans - 7/10

Was a really, really fun Action film and from a storytelling perspective, it kept me interested the entire way through, even though I knew the ending. Lucian remains a cool character, the massive black guy is still awesome, Bill Nighy puts on another fantastic performance as a Victor (and I have to say, Nighy just seems to get better every time I see him on screen). While it probally won't be as enjoyable if you didn't like Underworld, It was still great. My only problem with it is that it seems to lack that gritty feeling that made Underworld 1 so great. Rhona Mitra also deserves props for creating a character that isn't just an attempted clone of Kate Beckinsale, which made her stand out.

Valkyrie - 8.5/10

Fantastic film from start to end. Despite knowing the Hitler survived the plot to assasinate him, it kept me believing that maybe, just maybe they could make it work. The entire story is great and the end scene was both tragic and beautiful at the same time. Amazing performance from everyone involved, Tom Cruise did great as Strauss, Bill Nighy was fantastic once again and is quickly becoming a favourite actor of mine, Kenneth Branagh never fails to deliver and made for another great performance as the first leader of the resistance and Terence Stamp was fantastic for the part he played.

Frost/Nixon 9/10

Fucking great film. Sheen and Langella are fantastic and there are some simply superb scenes as the film goes along. Its emotionally engaging and funny and powerful with some wonderful moments.