Greatest Guitar Solo of All Time?

Nerf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like those endless repetitions of arpeggios that seem to be popular in guitar solos. I prefer something with a melody to it. I like the solo on Let It Be a lot. I can't think of any more examples right now.

EDIT: I just noticed "Like A Hurricane" is on Neil Young's decade CD I've got. I'd never really paid attention to it, but I'll give it a listen.

FURTHER EDIT: Yep, its fantastic. I can't believe I never noticed it.

Edited by metalman

FREE BIRD!!!!

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

A winner is me!

Damn fucking right. Beautiful, beautiful piece of music right there, and I usually fucking hate guitar solos. It's closely followed by the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd, but that's more on a personal note than anything. Maggot Brain fucking wipes the floor with any of your arpeggio-spouting fretwankery.

Edited by Skummy O'Hooligan

If we are talking Acoustic, I have to mention Stream by Tim Reynolds or Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren.

Electric leads me back to Lofgren... maybe Message for the harder stuff, and Putting Out Fires for pure funk... Black Books is big for me on the ballad side of things.

Too bad nobody really knows who the fuck Nils is, or what he is capable of outside of very veracious Crazy Horse and E street fans.

Anyone who mentions Stairway to Heaven dies on the spot.

Free Bird owns face. Allen Collins ftw.

I'm very fond of the duelling guitar solos during Eagle Fly Free by Helloween though. Nowhere near Free Bird in terms of great guitar solos, but I like it.

And, love him or hate it (yeah, as if anyone but me chooses option #1 ¬_¬), Malmsteen deserves a mention. Despite being a prick, he is actually awesome.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

A winner is me!

Damn fucking right. Beautiful, beautiful piece of music right there, and I usually fucking hate guitar solos. It's closely followed by the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd, but that's more on a personal note than anything. Maggot Brain fucking wipes the floor with any of your arpeggio-spouting fretwankery.