The Mafia Discussion Thread

Super Mario Mafia would feature a five person mafia of Mario, Luigi, Princess (fuck calling her Peach. She's the fucking Princess.), Toad, and Capt. Lou Albano, maybe a sixth with John Leugizamo if you're feeling froggy, against a town comprised of Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Bullet Bills, Bomb-Ombs, and other assorted ilk, with Bowser as the mayor.

Super Mario Mafia would feature a five person mafia of Mario, Luigi, Princess (fuck calling her Peach. She's the fucking Princess.), Toad, and Capt. Lou Albano, maybe a sixth with John Leugizamo if you're feeling froggy, against a town comprised of Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Bullet Bills, Bomb-Ombs, and other assorted ilk, with Bowser as the mayor.

...awesome idea. But not what I have in mind.

Absolutely. Victory is the goal.

Case in point: the only Trad Maf ever won by the Town was due to Mysterio actively sacrificing himself at a crucial point in the game in order to ensure victory for his team, still one of the most excellent plays I've ever seen.

This is totally true. I think people instinctively want to stay alive as long as possible so that they can get as much fun as possible. This is especially true of good players who are sick to the back teeth of getting night killed on the first night because the mafia have nothing else to go on except people's reputations. Sometimes, though, you've got to accept that the right play for your team is to lynch you. Reading TradMafia IV at the moment, I can see why people assumed it was the right play to lynch TGC, even if I didn't agree with it as I was reading along. You can't really accuse people of being Mafia just because they're lynching you, a townie - sometimes these things happen. It looked like rocksta was defending someone he knew was mafia. TGC did nothing suspicious (except for saying 'I guarantee I am town' :P) - it was rocksta's suspect play that condemned him.

I think the principle of dying being the sign of a good player is most obvious with the mafia even more than when you're a townie. Town players are on their own and can't trust anyone except themselves, so they try to stay alive. Mafia guys are in a team and can confer - their only objective is to win as a team. How many times have two mafioso argued amongst themselves for the good of the team, even if it leads to one getting lynched? How many times have they claimed to be an investigator to get a prominent townie lynched only to become an obvious target? I think 'just try and survive' is a legitimate strategy for a town player who thinks he's better than average, but mafia players can sacrifice themselves and know that everyone'll look at whether the team won or not.

Class Mafia has the roles but I'm not sure how you'd divide them. I do like the thought of a Game Breaker Mafia, however, with the Calculator (FFT) and Assassin (FFTA) classes among others.

The original plan for Tactics Mafia called for a number of people to be generic classes, which is why I had everyone submit a name, gender, and Zodiac sign. There was a Mediator in the group who was leading a splinter faction, using Invitation to call the generics over to the cult.

Yeah, see, this is why when I call for 25 players, y'all need to sign up. <_<

A Final Fantasy class mafia would be good fun. You could even go cheesy and have the mafia consist of villains from, say, Final Fantasy V (who were the villains in that game?), Tactics Advance, Tactics A2, etc. Just as long as I get to be a Lancer, I'm satisfied.

Absolutely. Victory is the goal.

Case in point: the only Trad Maf ever won by the Town was due to Mysterio actively sacrificing himself at a crucial point in the game in order to ensure victory for his team, still one of the most excellent plays I've ever seen.

This is totally true. I think people instinctively want to stay alive as long as possible so that they can get as much fun as possible. This is especially true of good players who are sick to the back teeth of getting night killed on the first night because the mafia have nothing else to go on except people's reputations. Sometimes, though, you've got to accept that the right play for your team is to lynch you. Reading TradMafia IV at the moment, I can see why people assumed it was the right play to lynch TGC, even if I didn't agree with it as I was reading along. You can't really accuse people of being Mafia just because they're lynching you, a townie - sometimes these things happen. It looked like rocksta was defending someone he knew was mafia. TGC did nothing suspicious (except for saying 'I guarantee I am town' :P) - it was rocksta's suspect play that condemned him.

I think the principle of dying being the sign of a good player is most obvious with the mafia even more than when you're a townie. Town players are on their own and can't trust anyone except themselves, so they try to stay alive. Mafia guys are in a team and can confer - their only objective is to win as a team. How many times have two mafioso argued amongst themselves for the good of the team, even if it leads to one getting lynched? How many times have they claimed to be an investigator to get a prominent townie lynched only to become an obvious target? I think 'just try and survive' is a legitimate strategy for a town player who thinks he's better than average, but mafia players can sacrifice themselves and know that everyone'll look at whether the team won or not.

I can explain why that wasn't a bad move, but I won't do it until after the game is over. But yeah my goal is to win even though sadly I never make it past the first 4 or so nights. I will say is Smash I made a stupid move that cost me my life, and in CSI MPH clearly cheated.

How did he cheat? If anything, we had things sorta stacked in our (the mafia's) favor there. And speaking of sacrificing fellow scum players to win (as Judge, a.k.a. -A- was), we were doing that left and right in CSI Mafia. Maybe even too much.

Do people really believe there is nothing to go on except bandwagons at the beginning of a Traditional Mafia-type game? You always have a chance of spotting something suspicious and scummy at any point. Didn't Pesci prove that in Traditional Mafia already? If all you're relying on are voting patterns then you're really at the mercy of any remotely clever mafia because they'll never, ever all vote the 'obvious' way. You're never going to be 100% on any play, so why would you just give up and bandwagon? With a small volume of evidence you'll have less to go on, with a large volume of evidence you'll have more to go on - even if people are blabbering pointlessly and coming up with theories you think are stupid, that's still something to go on.

Can someone point out exactly what Pesci did that was so mind-blowingly awesome, because all I saw him do was call rocksta on a shitty 'obvious' play that panned out on rocksta and got TGC killed. I think if anything has been proven it's that there IS fuck all to do but bandwaggon at this stage, having no roles is boring as hell. I know Overlord is already annoyed at me and I don't mean offence against him, or Pesci, but really.

I like getting involved in these games but I'm getting really fucking sick of people saying I'm stupid because I don't sit here for hours counting up every single post or vote and analysing everything under my high-powered microscope in the hopes that somebody will have made even the slightest ambigious statement that might be regarded as agenda-driven. This is my first Traditional Mafia, and so far nothing I've seen has proven it to be any fun whatsoever with the lack of some sort of power roles. You can talk about strategy all you want, but all you can hope for is that someone slips up, like rocksta did, so I don't get why everyone is being so condescending about it.