The Mafia Discussion Thread

Well, I guess I'd consider it "people who have a reputation of getting killed early for no good reason" or something like that. For example, I've only been playing since about April, but I've developed a reputation as one of the "decent to good" players despite the fact that I never fucking win. I'm thinking of people like you and justblaze, but also perhaps people like Pleatherface, Ruki, Neji pwns, etc. who fall victim to the "No leads? Fuck it, let's lynch _______" curse that plagues a lot of games. It'd at least be an assurance that some of these players will live past Day 1.

"Giant clusterfuck of shitty play" is fine, because you learn to play better by playing shittily (...yes) and seeing where you go wrong. Inactivity might be a problem, but I have a feeling that many of these people might come into their own if they're not being shouted down by the players with good reputations, like DMN, MPH, Pesci, and me.

I'd just be very interested in seeing how the dynamics of such a game would play out.

True. And I'd be very interested in taking part, although if I'm chosen as a first/second round random target anyway you'll hear the cursing all the way from Australia.

And there is still the issue of people who would want to run mafia's which don't feature the big names.

As far as the whole newbie thing goes, I don't think we're that harsh on them to be fair. People like LD and TRW have came through from nowhere to be solid players, and D-Day for example doesn't seem like a spazz from what I saw of him in JM3. And yeah, I'm opposed to the way most people seem to jump on newbies at the start, but only because they don't seem willing to consider any defence at all unless it's a roleclaim. Some players don't paint a good image of themself through the way they type, like Neji for example, so it's fair to assume he won't be as canny as the others - though once they defend themselves (providing it sounds genuine) you need to let that image go because constantly putting them down will only really damage the town.

A newbie mafia would be interesting though, and would hopefully do something to make people listen to everybody and not just the select few if some of them make it into another mafia and can vouch for eachother's sanity.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I've narrowed it down to two options.

"Avengers Mafia" for as many people as possible.

OR

"Avengers Mafia" for the 'higher reputation' half of the sign-ups, "West Coast Avengers Mafia" for the 'lower reputation' half.

Either way, everybody will get to play. :)

OR

"Avengers Mafia" for the 'higher reputation' half of the sign-ups, "West Coast Avengers Mafia" for the 'lower reputation' half.

Oh I like that a lot.

OR

Option 2 wins. Especially because I'm going to be in the higher reputation half.

Well, I'd like to think I will be. <_< I haaaaate long mafias though, that is why I am getting bored and pushing lynches in Super Smash Bros mafia. Jesus christ that shit is long. <_<

Splitting is better. I ran a huge Marvel themed Mafia with tons of players and it died despite almost every role being at least somewhat fun to play.

People don't have the patience for a game that would very possibly take months to complete.