The Mafia Discussion Thread

We tried "no talk during night" with PW Mafia...we almost had a handful of modkills because of it, while simultaneously doing nothing but putting excess pressure on the gamerunner to keep the updates punctual because no one could play the game in the meantime.

It doesn't make things go faster, it just frustrates everybody involved.

I have to say, I find it hilarious the cognitive dissonance some of you have got going, where if you ever get lynched, it's because the town wouldn't listen to logic and not because you did something stupid.

I think it's quite logical that some people feel this way. Obviously if you're scum you cannot complain, they found out you're scum, done deal. But when you're being attacked for saying something you thought would not get you into trouble and you keep defending yourself but nobody even responds to you via quotes, they lynch you and they see you're town. Yes, I think then it's quite logical you get pissed for a short while. There are two sides to the story usually.

2) Why do EWB towns generally lynch people for thinking differently than them? If you're town and there's a bandwagon going on, it's in your interests to hop on even if you don't find the guy suspicious - because if the bandwagon's right, they'll go after you next.

Even though day phases are slowed down much more than let's say a year ago I think people nowadays jump on anything they can get their hands on. Someone like WoC does this a lot; he's gone for a while and suddenly he posts a large summary of all the people he feels are suspicious for the most idiotic reasons. I think people are thinking about themselves rather than their team, so therefore when they see 3 people voted for one player, they hop on without even looking at the reason behind it. Ofcourse, not everybody does this.

I think it's safe to put Quasi and IJS in the same boat now

Yes I played rather shit maybe, but this is a cheap shot. IJS hardly ever says something and when he has to defend himself all he can muster up is "I am shit at this game, leave me alone". I think I am at least above that :crying:

I'm pretty sure you don't even really know what happened.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

I think it's quite logical that some people feel this way. Obviously if you're scum you cannot complain, they found out you're scum, done deal. But when you're being attacked for saying something you thought would not get you into trouble and you keep defending yourself but nobody even responds to you via quotes, they lynch you and they see you're town. Yes, I think then it's quite logical you get pissed for a short while. There are two sides to the story usually.

On the contrary, it defies logic. People forget that there is a huge Discrepancy between various players in mafia games and why YOU might realise that you're town-aligned, other people aren't privy to your role PM. People forget this stuff when they're making decisions, when they defend someone, when they accuse someone, basically all the time, someone's forgetting this stuff.

Basically, information is a trap.

Two thoughts, entirely unrelated:

1) Would returning to the 'no talking at night' rule in any way save games from the usual slowdown?

I think it could be a rush for people to get their opinions in all at the same time. In day periods there always seems to be two or three people dominating discussion, a few more chiming in and the rest barely post at all. I don't think they seem to talk much at night either. It could help small games but nothing over 15 players.

Bingo.

And fucking wow, Matt, way to ignore the vast and huge explanation in the thread for my frustration. Jeebus, I can't get out of this place fast enough if that's the way it's going to be. Fuck you.

Edited by Box 11

Jeez Sousa, 1) where's this post and 2) I was merely asking a question so I could make sure my game was ready to run. Christ man, stop trying to eat soup with a fork and taking every thing as a dig at you.

I hope that's not the reason Sousa quit mafia, cos if it is, I lost a bit of respect for him right there.

Right here's what I'm talking about. This whole "I've lost a bit of respect for you" shit. You obviously know nothing about what's going on with me right now, so kindly shove it.

To be fair, we only thought you were giving up Mafia, we didn't think you were leaving EWB all together.

I also thought that you were just leaving Mafia because of what happened in my game, and if that had been so then I would have lost respect for you as well, as I'm sure many other would. But with your post in The Lounge I now see what is going on.