The Mafia Discussion Thread

MMPR has been a traditional game wrapped up in a theme. I don't think the town had any useful abilities other than Pesci's Party Time. The mayor was rendered useless by an unlynchable don in a 5 man mafia in a 15 player game. Quasi getting killed for not adhering to a roleposting requirement was another kick in the nutsack. If Ruki's monster ability hadn't cleared a few people, I honestly could say that this was the most heavily slanted to scum game I can ever remember playing.

CSI Mafia. The game where one Mafia had two kills and only some exceptional luck would have resulted in a night action from most of us getting a scum result.

2 kills is a lot, but a 5 man mafia with an unlynchable don is really not cool when there are only 10 townies.

MMPR has been a traditional game wrapped up in a theme. I don't think the town had any useful abilities other than Pesci's Party Time. The mayor was rendered useless by an unlynchable don in a 5 man mafia in a 15 player game. Quasi getting killed for not adhering to a roleposting requirement was another kick in the nutsack. If Ruki's monster ability hadn't cleared a few people, I honestly could say that this was the most heavily slanted to scum game I can ever remember playing.

CSI Mafia. The game where one Mafia had two kills and only some exceptional luck would have resulted in a night action from most of us getting a scum result.

2 kills is a lot, but a 5 man mafia with an unlynchable don is really not cool when there are only 10 townies.

The six-man CSI Mafia had two members that couldn't be investigated by the town's only pure investigator and two who the ambiguity over Potato Head's researching helped mistakenly clear, not to mention an Indy who would best help the town by getting nightkilled.

The six-man CSI Mafia had two members that couldn't be investigated by the town's only pure investigator and two who the ambiguity over Potato Head's researching helped mistakenly clear, not to mention an Indy who would best help the town by getting nightkilled.

I see how that sucks. But a 5 man mafia with an unlynchable don becomes a 6 man mafia if you pick the guy out in the beginning. Again, there were only 10 townies, which means we were pretty much under the gun from before the game even started. Someone not being able to be investigated is likely going to be killed. Ruki's day ability also outed 3 of the Rangers which means the only townies left were either vanilla or close to vanilla.

I have to say, I find it hilarious the cognitive dissonance some of you have got going, where if you ever get lynched, it's because the town wouldn't listen to logic and not because you did something stupid.

:wub:

The # 1 bit of advice I'd give to any player is this, "If I was NOT me and I was simply reading this move, would I think it's town or scum?". Do that in your head enough and you'll have to adjust your game so that people can't always tell what alignment you are. Also, switching your game up entirely = a bad idea.

I fully accept my lynching in MMPR, I was scum, and I played like it. I fucked up because I hadn't been scum in some time (since my return to mafia), and had 'forgotten' how to play like it. I'm so rarely scum that I'm a pretty horrible scum player.

As for Candor, I got fucked over by my association to woc, and I truly feel like nothing I could do was ever going to clear me well enough for it to become a non-issue. Most of the people I'd consider 'good players' did not want to lynch me.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
I am awesome. There's a couple of reasons for my awesomeness at this time. One I can't explain now, and the other one can be summed up with lol Jesusmonkey.

Zordon's a double agent? <_<

I am awesome. There's a couple of reasons for my awesomeness at this time. One I can't explain now, and the other one can be summed up with lol Jesusmonkey.

Zordon's a double agent? <_<

No. Different game, same level of awesomeness from me this month :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Two thoughts, entirely unrelated:

1) Would returning to the 'no talking at night' rule in any way save games from the usual slowdown?

2) Why do EWB towns generally lynch people for thinking differently than them? If you're town and there's a bandwagon going on, it's in your interests to hop on even if you don't find the guy suspicious - because if the bandwagon's right, they'll go after you next.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Right, but if people can't talk things out at night, are they more likely to talk during the following day phase or just forget about it entirely?

1. No. Most of the slowdown is during day periods.

The only thing to be discussed at night periods can also be discussed at day periods, therefore at least making day periods look more active?