The Mafia Discussion Thread

You guys take Mafia too seriously.

The last few major games I played in (Criminal Minds, MTPO) basically had everyone accusing me of being scum. And that was after I've been cleared by the the cop in the first, and claimed cop in the second. I was town in both.

Yeah, I'll bitch about how nobody listens to my (usually correct) hunches, but at the same time I admit that it's partially due to the Mafia doing a good job of leading the town around (pizzamonkey in CM, Norro in MTPO). I really don't see a point in coming here and complaining about how everyone sucks just cause the Mafia is doing their job correctly.

And now watch me get accused of being scum in CF because of this post.

PS Would anyone other than me find a Pitchfork Mafia awesome? Not only will it spread underground music, it will spread joy among hipsters everywhere!

Dear fucking god yes.

Good. :)

I'm just pissed that, apparently, my normal posting style has become 'scum play'. Apparently, you are no longer allowed to be short and to the point, or make off hand comments, because if you aren't making three paragraph dissertations on why you think someone is whatever, you're not being a 'good townie'.

Happens to me probably more than anybody. I've had a good 8 cases of people being all "I KNOW HOW MEG PLAYS! HE IS MAFIA!" 1 of them was right, and that was that dandy Judge fellow. He went all out though, he got posts I had in other mafias to compare to that mafia and shit.

And on top of that, the worst thing is "I'm an awesome player because I told you X was scum even though I had no reason for it/my reasoning made no sense, you guys should've listened to me because even though it's incorrect 9/10 times it was right in this instance".

I'm not sure if that's against me for Buffy, which you were all "IT DIDNT MAKE SENSE :(" and basically said that, but I gave reasoning for it like 70 times in him being too inactive. This is exactly what people hate, the "YOU NEED CONCRETE EVIDENCE BEFORE WE VOTE MORE THAN TWICE, ANYONE ELSE VOTE? MAFIA TRYING TO JUMP ON A BANDWAGON! BUT WAIT TIL THEY SPEAK DONT LET IT GO PAST 2 VOTES, 3 VOTES? MAFIA TRYING TO JUMP ON A BANDWAGON!". Plus, people did listen to me and we got like 2 mafia out of it. I miss bandwagons. That was an awesome/rare one.

I have to say, I find it hilarious the cognitive dissonance some of you have got going, where if you ever get lynched, it's because the town wouldn't listen to logic and not because you did something stupid.

:wub:

The # 1 bit of advice I'd give to any player is this, "If I was NOT me and I was simply reading this move, would I think it's town or scum?". Do that in your head enough and you'll have to adjust your game so that people can't always tell what alignment you are. Also, switching your game up entirely = a bad idea.

I think I'm enjoying Mafia a lot less because most of the recent group of people who post shitloads aren't that good as townies and are just waving their dicks around a lot of the time.

*waves dick in Pesci's face*

I have no problem with your dick. In fact it's kind of soothing :shifty:

I think I'm enjoying Mafia a lot less because most of the recent group of people who post shitloads aren't that good as townies and are just waving their dicks around a lot of the time.

Oh, ok.

Then I have no idea who you're referring to. <_<

I think the main problem is people are afraid to be wrong because they think it will get them lynched. If the majority of the town thinks that way, the mafia can coast to victory. If you look at the recent games where the town won, aggressive plays got them there because the mafia can't lurk and wagon. If you force people to make stands, eventually you'll catch the people you need to in order to win. A lot of people don't like arguing with me, but there's a reason I play the way I do. I have to get as much info as possible as quickly as possible since I'm an early NK target in every game. Even if I don't win, I'd like to see the people on my side have as easy a road to victory as they can.

Oh, ok.

Then I have no idea who you're referring to. <_<

"Recent group of people" should've told you it wasn't directed at the first person to ever make a post in a mafia game on here :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I have to say, for as slow as MMPR has been at times, it's been kind of refreshing to see a game that didn't come down to investigations, roleclaims, or cheap endings.

MMPR has been a traditional game wrapped up in a theme. I don't think the town had any useful abilities other than Pesci's Party Time. The mayor was rendered useless by an unlynchable don in a 5 man mafia in a 15 player game. Quasi getting killed for not adhering to a roleposting requirement was another kick in the nutsack. If Ruki's monster ability hadn't cleared a few people, I honestly could say that this was the most heavily slanted to scum game I can ever remember playing.

What really scares me is this; JustBlaze, man, I like you. I do. But you want to run a 34-player game after this? Large games can and do get slow as fuck when some of the best game-runners on EWB handle them. You're not one of those guys.

MMPR has been a traditional game wrapped up in a theme. I don't think the town had any useful abilities other than Pesci's Party Time. The mayor was rendered useless by an unlynchable don in a 5 man mafia in a 15 player game. Quasi getting killed for not adhering to a roleposting requirement was another kick in the nutsack. If Ruki's monster ability hadn't cleared a few people, I honestly could say that this was the most heavily slanted to scum game I can ever remember playing.

CSI Mafia. The game where one Mafia had two kills and only some exceptional luck would have resulted in a night action from most of us getting a scum result.

What really scares me is this; Justblaze, man, I like you. I do. But you want to run a 34-player game after this? Large games can and do get slow as fuck when some of the best game-runners on EWB handle them. You're not one of those guys.

I doubt, really doubt, ECW 96 will be 34 players. Secondly, it's been going so slow cause my senior year is winding down, and I had fun real-life stuff to do.

nvm