The Mafia Discussion Thread

Yeah, I won Mage Wars 1.5. In Inquisition it wasn't a matter of luck, I was elected because I gave the town a good reason to make me mayor. In Lemmings Mafia it was just one night of invincibility. In FF being bulletproof was pretty much useless since I was the SK and lynched because the write-up made it obvious I'd been roleblocked. Criminal Minds was a standard loss.

EDIT: And Cartoon helped emphasis this because I was trying to imply I was bulletproof when I wasn't. So I made a gloating post about it.

Edited by -A-

The closest I ever came to not having to worrying about death was when I was Flair in WWE and couldn't be lynched. It wasn't ever really an issue though. I can't remember if I couldn't die in Mythology as long as Demeter and Hades were alive but once I got swallowed up into the Earth and RW did his thing I think the game was over. That was the easiest win ever. I wasn't even involved for most of it. Good times. Good times.

I was lynchproof there too.

Edited by naiwf

Pretty sure the only time I've been unkillable was WWE Mafia 2 and I got the dirtiest of all dirty victories after being outed on like day 3.

I may have also be unlynchable in SBTB but I got modkilled for not sticking to my stupid posting requirement (which I think was -A-'s fault :angry:)

I see what -A- did in GCR, and it's becoming a recurring theme that it gets down to a handful of suspects, and those suspects are either mafia or vital town members. It's never "Mafia or vanilla townie nobody cares about", it's always "mafia or OUR LAST INVESTIGATOR ONOES".

And it sucks.

Motion to ban lie detectors forever.

Seconded. Investigators are fine, but since once a lie detector's been revealed everybody just posts "I am town" and lynches anybody who a) doesn't or b) has that statement come up as a lie, and since they also appear to day actions rather than night actions (and so unroleblockable), WHO thought the role was a good idea? Sousa actually got it more right when he used a lie detector because, if I remember rightly, his lie detector had to lie detect an entire post and it was a night action, but even that's still flawed because now he can just ask people to say "I am town" and blah blah blah.

Summary: Fuck lie detectors.

Yeah, when they're banned from revealing that they have that that ability it's much better. When you've got to be sly and either pick something not-quite-perfect or goad someone into saying something it's a pretty good role. If it's just mass-posting of 'I'm Town' it's just a day investigation.

Motion to ban lie detectors forever.

Seconded. Investigators are fine, but since once a lie detector's been revealed everybody just posts "I am town" and lynches anybody who a) doesn't or b) has that statement come up as a lie, and since they also appear to day actions rather than night actions (and so unroleblockable), WHO thought the role was a good idea? Sousa actually got it more right when he used a lie detector because, if I remember rightly, his lie detector had to lie detect an entire post and it was a night action, but even that's still flawed because now he can just ask people to say "I am town" and blah blah blah.

Summary: Fuck lie detectors.

My lie detectors were also forbidden from quoting posts designed only to be detected by lie detectors--they couldn't just press people and go "Hey, are you town?" I ran one in Jobber Mafia II (Ciclope) and one in Jobber Mafia III (Salvatore Sincere, who had a post restriction that required him never to tell the truth), but from that point I realized that they're just ridiculously broken.

I don't think there is anything wrong with lie detectors, it just forces scum players to be more subtle. Any time a game breaks down into "Well we'll just wait for the cop/lie detector/mass roleclaim" to win, it's lame, but you can't ban everything. Traditional games on here suffered mightily because without crutches, a lot of people here have trouble walking.

I think a lie detector should only get to reveal a result if he guesses what it will be. For example, if you think Sousa's a dirty liar when you send in his thing for confirmation and you're right, good for you. If not, you can't say anything or else you get modkilled. Put some risk into it.

I liked being the lie detector before everyone knew I was the lie detector. I hate it now, I wish I never came out. Also naiwf, that would have worked out fantastically for you because I was detecting you because I thought you were town and didn't want you to get railroaded because the night write-up said differently. It wouldn't have worked out that well for Sousa though.

Edited by pizzamonkey