The Mafia Discussion Thread

I think I've explained it better in the past but I don't have the effort to bring back one of the the arguments I put up. I believe every mafia should have good safeclaims or be traditional. Cause if we knew there were safe claims maybe people won't be so conservative that it makes it a drawn out process over having a fun game.

I really really don't like this new tendency to give the entire mafia safeclaims. If it's one for a group, I can understand it, but I enjoy the process of coming up with a good fakeclaim and I enjoy trying to spot fakeclaims. If the entire scum group has them then what are you doing? Trying to work out if there's a pattern to the safeclaims and you're basically meta-gaming.

It's not even about that. Maybe even tell people that there are safeclaims and lie about it so that routine gets out of peoples heads. Cause like, people get too conservative and warped over this stuff and then its a big complex on waiting on investigators, if no investigators have results put pressure on someone, wait for them to claim after 3-4 votes, if they are hesitant lynch them, if they claim suspicious lynch them, if they claim town continue process with someone new. Everyone just needs to be hesitant with claiming nowadays. Then this is done until everyone is cleared or have claimed a town role, then they decide which is the worst claim and least likely claim and they lynch until the confirmed/most likely to be town players are the only ones remaining.

I did this in Final Fantasy and only just realized that it was stupid of me and since I haven't been in any games(consistently) for awhile I'm not sure if it's happened anywhere else, either. But there's a reason that it has more posts than any other mafia ever, it's because we did that routine and it got us far and all, but it was such a long process that it took the fun out of the game and made it frustrating for me. Then when it seemed like everyone was unkillable to me after I did that entire thing every day for like 4 hours I got pissed off(this added on with some other people taking the fun out of the game for me). If I didn't do it pizzamonkey did it and then we did the whole most likely to be town shit and narrowed down all the threats. But I don't know, even though it kind of worked it pissed me off to no end because it seemed like more of a task than a game. :/

Time limits are brilliant, too. Anything to erase the routine that's happening in every game I'm in.

Yeah, I agree with this in spirit.

There's a myriad of ways to prevent games becoming roleclaim-fests, and I try to include some combination of these methods as often as possible.

Also, I've previously considered eliminating No Lynches as an option from my games entirely - but I've ultimately decided against it. While it's a horrible fucking option 99.999999% of the time, I like to leave it on the table so I can identify who the pussies are.

It's probably my hard-on for holy knights/paladins that sort of thing speaking, but man, GoGo's role in Inquisition Mafia was fucking awesome.

Edited by RED Scout Cloudy

Yeah, the whole vote-roleclaim-change vote-roleclaim-bandwagon on somebody who isn't that active thing made me stop playing most big/medium games. I can't handle that shit at all. Safe claims are good but it's an art that needs perfecting. You can't just give the scum peripheral characters or it'll be obvious after a while what's going on.

And I agree that scum should be able to formulate their own safe claims but that requires a relatively vast amount of source material and players who are willing to put the extra work in. When the whole of the town are accounted for because they've claimed and it's obvious who the scum players are, the game's less fun for me. I don't care about what scum should be doing in an ideal world, I only care about what they're doing and if they can't be bothered to fake claim on their own, games always turn into a roleclaim fest and I can't be bothered to try.

You can't just give the scum peripheral characters or it'll be obvious after a while what's going on.

Unless you make certain that there are a mix of both peripheral characters and major characters among the scum roleclaims, as well as a few peripheral town players. That's a balance I tried to strike in Greatest WCW Mafia, but it still definitely needs work.

Guest Mr. Plow

Some of it also has to do with the source material - if it's Wrestling, or Food, or something else that everybody would know, it's easier to make up a fakeclaim than a TV show or movie that perhaps none of the mafia have ever seen before, so safeclaims aren't as much of a necessity.

There needs to be a Star Wars (and that's just Star Wars - no narrowing down of the matieral by giving it some sort of gay sub-title) game with like 12 roles. That would be an awesome fake-claim fest. Though I wouldn't play. I like Star Wars but I'm not obsessive like people tend to be.

In my next game (post-Metallica and Trad Tournament), I'm tempted to just throw loads of "WTF!?" roles in, i.e. characters you'd expect to be scum are town, characters you'd expect to be town are scum, scum have town abilities (double voting and the such) just so roleclaims mean fuck all.

Edit: As for safeclaims, I'd say one really good one per scum group/individual should suffice, giving each scum member a safeclaim seems a bit OTT. And by really good I mean something like (off the top of my head) Grandpa in the Simpsons or Charlie in Lost - 2 games that need to be done/redone, actually.

Edited by Footjob Fever

There needs to be a Star Wars (and that's just Star Wars - no narrowing down of the matieral by giving it some sort of gay sub-title) game with like 12 roles. That would be an awesome fake-claim fest. Though I wouldn't play. I like Star Wars but I'm not obsessive like people tend to be.

DON'T LYNCH ME I'M LANDO

oh, wait.. shit