The Mafia Discussion Thread

I thought it was Sousa and the mafia. But, I'll just blame Sousa because he takes pride in killing me :(

If Blehschmidt hadn't told the world that he was the guy protecting me I think you guys would have wasted a few more kill attempts on me. I wanted to slap him when he put it all out there just because he'd had 2 or 3 votes at the time. You just can't hire good help these days.

Just to say that my internet access at home is seemingly kaput and I'm currently stealing some random person's wireless. It's still frequently taking me several minutes to load any given page, so I won't be around as much. I'm only alive in Criminal Minds and running Lights Out doesn't have that many PMs or anything to sort out, but voting updates might be a bit less frequent.

Yes, but so far they're most ow-worthy in AD. So far it's been all OH GOD DON'T LYNCH ME I'M [ROLECLAIM]!

The town play there has been cringeworthy, but if I was a mafia guy in that game I'd be just waiting to see my name on the survivor standings. Guys are just killing themselves for funsies.

That's happening in every game. We need to have a game where no roleclaims are allowed.

Or like, another TradMafia. (L) trad mafias. I win a lot of traditional games, too. :)

Do I hear a vote for King of the Hill: No Roleclaims on Rainey Street? :w00t:

Which is not on the list, of course, but hey.

I could kind of see roleclaiming if you're close to death but guys are throwing their lives away when they get as little as a vote or two when it takes like 14 to lynch. I think what these people don't understand is that you're only hurting the town by claiming a big name character and surviving a lynch which takes out another townie, especially when you pretty much guaranteed yourself getting night killed as soon as the day phase is over anyway.

That's happening in every game. We need to have a game where no roleclaims are allowed.

Or like, another TradMafia. (L) trad mafias. I win a lot of traditional games, too. :)

Do I hear a vote for King of the Hill: No Roleclaims on Rainey Street? :w00t:

Which is not on the list, of course, but hey.

Yes.

Yes you do.

Any King of the Hill diary would be ballin. I looked at my survival standings and I am indeed good at trad games, 4, that's as many wins as I have as town. And I'm numba one in trad mafias. woo. ;)

Also, I talked about this last year when defending my (old)style of play all the time, people are way too conservative and are not willing to go with any lynch unless it's confirmed that the person they're lynching is bad. They won't lynch anybody. That's why I jumped on every bandwagon with my old style of play. I didn't care who we lynched as long as I could progress to the end game in which I would try to be beneficial there, trying early just annoys the shit out of me and gives me a headache as I don't have the patience to have long drawn out roleclaim days.

I think I've explained it better in the past but I don't have the effort to bring back one of the the arguments I put up. I believe every mafia should have good safeclaims or be traditional. Cause if we knew there were safe claims maybe people won't be so conservative that it makes it a drawn out process over having a fun game.

EDIT: Actually that's not even a complete accurate statement on it, I did whatever I thought was right with my votes and then got into big arguments with people about their alignment. I actually had a lot of fun arguing with people over mafia. :) Still better than pick person ask person to roleclaim change vote thing we have going on right now that I'm just as guilty of doing(which I'm trying to change, I think I mentioned this in Criminal Minds)

Edited by Mr. Evil Guy

Guest Mr. Plow

This is why I'm taking about a dozen steps to ensure that roleclaiming in West Wing Mafia will be pointless - it's basically just going to be an ability-heavy traditional game that happens to have a theme, the theme won't work its way into the gameplay at all.

Any King of the Hill diary would be ballin. I looked at my survival standings and I am indeed good at trad games, 4, that's as many wins as I have as town. And I'm numba one in trad mafias. woo. ;)

Pesci has 5, I think, but it depends on whether you count the original Mafia. Maybe 6 if you count that and Zodiac. I also have 4 :)

I think I've explained it better in the past but I don't have the effort to bring back one of the the arguments I put up. I believe every mafia should have good safeclaims or be traditional. Cause if we knew there were safe claims maybe people won't be so conservative that it makes it a drawn out process over having a fun game.

I really really don't like this new tendency to give the entire mafia safeclaims. If it's one for a group, I can understand it, but I enjoy the process of coming up with a good fakeclaim and I enjoy trying to spot fakeclaims. If the entire scum group has them then what are you doing? Trying to work out if there's a pattern to the safeclaims and you're basically meta-gaming.

I agree with that. It took about 5 days and 250 posts for us to get to a lynch in Criminal Minds and then that bastard Sousa got me killed on night 1. Buzz gone.

The same thing happened to me in Inquisition Mafia. It took about 3 days and 250 posts for the town to finally lynch someone and then I got nightkilled 48 hours later for actually wanting to play a game and not sit there wondering about whether saying anything constructive would get me killed. Basically it took 5 days for me to die and all I got to do was vote for a mayor and a lynch.

It's ridiculous that it takes the better part of a week and a couple of hundred posts to reach Day 2 or a confirmed investigator going after someone with absolute proof before anyone will take a risk and vote for someone they don't know about, but it is what it is.

Or people could stop pussyfooting around all the time. I dunno.

I mean, I can appreciate that large games will take more time and everything, but c'mon. Final Fantasy had a day phase that went like 4 days because no one could decide on anything. That was annoying as shit.

Edited by RED Scout Cloudy

Those are just as bad, and harder to get into because of the lower number of required entrants. Catholicism Mafia was moving at a turtle's pace so I decided to out Split and get killed rather than wait 4 or so days for the same few people to post their thoughts while waiting for the other guys who have no intention of posting to do nothing. I would never have been able to play for real in a game like Lights Out for the same reason.

Game runners need to bring the hammer down. Too much "Well there's discussion so *long time limit*", not enough "holy jesus their talking isn't getting anywhere *short time limit*".

One thing I debated doing in the big Punchout Mafia before I broke it up (and after I realized I couldn't make it canon) was to have a 24-hour "initial day" period where nobody was lynched, but the top 3 vote-getters in that period would be the only ones that could be lynched in the next 24 hour "actual day" period, in an attempt to get the bandwagon rolling on day lynches more easily (as well as to add some more powers to liven things up. I love me some powers).

I really really don't like this new tendency to give the entire mafia safeclaims. If it's one for a group, I can understand it, but I enjoy the process of coming up with a good fakeclaim and I enjoy trying to spot fakeclaims. If the entire scum group has them then what are you doing? Trying to work out if there's a pattern to the safeclaims and you're basically meta-gaming.

It's not even about that. Maybe even tell people that there are safeclaims and lie about it so that routine gets out of peoples heads. Cause like, people get too conservative and warped over this stuff and then its a big complex on waiting on investigators, if no investigators have results put pressure on someone, wait for them to claim after 3-4 votes, if they are hesitant lynch them, if they claim suspicious lynch them, if they claim town continue process with someone new. Everyone just needs to be hesitant with claiming nowadays. Then this is done until everyone is cleared or have claimed a town role, then they decide which is the worst claim and least likely claim and they lynch until the confirmed/most likely to be town players are the only ones remaining.

I did this in Final Fantasy and only just realized that it was stupid of me and since I haven't been in any games(consistently) for awhile I'm not sure if it's happened anywhere else, either. But there's a reason that it has more posts than any other mafia ever, it's because we did that routine and it got us far and all, but it was such a long process that it took the fun out of the game and made it frustrating for me. Then when it seemed like everyone was unkillable to me after I did that entire thing every day for like 4 hours I got pissed off(this added on with some other people taking the fun out of the game for me). If I didn't do it pizzamonkey did it and then we did the whole most likely to be town shit and narrowed down all the threats. But I don't know, even though it kind of worked it pissed me off to no end because it seemed like more of a task than a game. :/

Time limits are brilliant, too. Anything to erase the routine that's happening in every game I'm in.

Edited by Mr. Evil Guy