The Mafia Discussion Thread

Be: Twelve townies? Hm. I usually like to have town be slightly over double the number of scum in-game, so... I dunno, five, maybe six threats at most? I could see a four man group against 12 townies, with the fifth scum being an SK. Or, you could have a three-man mafia still, but with one SK and one cultist, or something. I'd honestly shy from putting a cult into a smaller game though.

Ruki: With a 12 man game I'd be going with three mob, one SK. That puts the town at double the number of threats, and gives them one up over the mob actually. The SK provides an element of resistance to both sides, and the mob can have a hitman, don, and roleblocker/conman.

You know what, now that I think about it... whatever happened to the chatterbox role? I haven't seen one around in ages.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

In smaller games, though, it's much easier to power up your mafia to give them a better chance. So in the 16-player game, I'd be tempted to do something like 12 townies, 1 indy, 3 mafia - then give the mafia pretty good defence. Give the don total immunity to kills and investigation and give them a fakeclaim as well, or something.

I hate jesters even more than cults, I really do. They're perhaps the easiest role to win with unless you put bizarre post restrictions on them, IMO. They don't really seem to be in the spirit of mafia, either - someone's playing too scummy, so maybe we shouldn't lynch them? The town hasn't done anything wrong in lynching the jester, yet they lose a day which aids the scum.

Be: Twelve townies? Hm. I usually like to have town be slightly over double the number of scum in-game, so... I dunno, five, maybe six threats at most? I could see a four man group against 12 townies, with the fifth scum being an SK. Or, you could have a three-man mafia still, but with one SK and one cultist, or something. I'd honestly shy from putting a cult into a smaller game though.

Ruki: With a 12 man game I'd be going with three mob, one SK. That puts the town at double the number of threats, and gives them one up over the mob actually. The SK provides an element of resistance to both sides, and the mob can have a hitman, don, and roleblocker/conman.

You know what, now that I think about it... whatever happened to the chatterbox role? I haven't seen one around in ages.

What was that again? Had to post X amount of times in the thread in order to get an ability? If so, -A- had that in Wire Mafia kinda.

What was that again? Had to post X amount of times in the thread in order to get an ability? If so, -A- had that in Wire Mafia kinda.

Had to post in every day thread or would be revealed to be Mafia I think.

Had to post in every day thread or would be revealed to be Mafia I think.

I think mine was every day and every night, in RttGC.

It was a fun yet terrifying role, because the game had to prey on your mind at all times. You were never quite sure when the night would turn to day/day would turn to night, you had to contribute in such a way that you were looking helpful, but not helpful enough to be "he's doing all this work why isn't the mafia killing him" lynched.

Wow, he's even younger than me. Though, this explains a few things...

I thought you were 19... :shifty:

What? No. Infact, I'm fifteen tomorrow.

Happy Birthday!

Discussion topic: winning conditions that don't involve surviving to endgame. Turncoats, jesters, and things of that nature. Yay or nay?

My vote is nay. People shouldn't be able to win a game before it's over.

Agreed, kind of. Townies and mafioso shouldn't be able to win the game before it's over. Individuals have a hard time winning, though, so I agree with lightening their load a little. And I hate jesters.

Wow, he's even younger than me. Though, this explains a few things...

I thought you were 19... :shifty:

What? No. Infact, I'm fifteen tomorrow.

Happy Birthday!

Discussion topic: winning conditions that don't involve surviving to endgame. Turncoats, jesters, and things of that nature. Yay or nay?

My vote is nay. People shouldn't be able to win a game before it's over.

Agreed, kind of. Townies and mafioso shouldn't be able to win the game before it's over. Individuals have a hard time winning, though, so I agree with lightening their load a little. And I hate jesters.

:wub:

I realise that this has been asked many times before, but why is everyone so vehemently against No Lynches? When it gets to the point where you aren't going off hunches, evidence, suspicion etc, and instead are just picking at random, aren't you better off not taking the chance? When you're picking at random, it goes to straight mathematical probability, which states that there is little to no chance of actually getting scum.

You don't score 100% of the goals you dont't shoot. Or something like that

- Wayne Gretzky.

More mangled quotes/cliches:

5% of something (chance to random lynch a scum) is better than 100% of nothing.

95% of killing a townie is better than 100% of losing no townies in the day period?