The Mafia Discussion Thread

Not that it rules it out completely of course. You can still have people like Ace claiming cop, which is still the second stupidest thing you can do in a Mafia game (the first stupidest, of course, being claiming doctor).

Not that it rules it out completely of course. You can still have people like Ace claiming cop, which is still the second stupidest thing you can do in a Mafia game (the first stupidest, of course, being claiming doctor).

What about Cloudy claiming scum in Futuramafia?

Definitely prefer non-gimmick games as they discourage roleclaiming.

If you're going to have a themed game, either have a non-obvious Mafia, or leave plenty of unused roles to give the Mafia a chance at fake-claiming. It also helps if you have a mix of obvious and non-obvious roles in the game, so that it doesn't look weird when some guy claims the only minor character in the game.

Someone should do a game design FAQ, or something.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

Yeah, I like gimmick games because it gives the game a bit more of a story. But there needs to be enough characters for roleclaims. That was my main downfall with DBZ Mafia. Though, I think I made up for it in Mage Wars as you could literally make a role-claim and it's possible that it'd be in the game. To answer my own question; Gimmick mafia games because of the story and if it's a good game it shouldn't really effect the mafia when it comes to role-claiming.

Edit: Zan, The FAQ's a nice idea. It could be added to -A-'s resource thread.

Edited by Split Second

I actually like the whole process of guessing which claims are fake and thinking up false claims, as long as there're measures in the game to make it possible. The various wrestling games are perfect examples of this - almost all that I've seen haven't broken the game and add something interesting to discuss. WWE Mafia 1 had a nice vague mafia grouping that didn't give many people a death sentence when their role came out and RW does things like give Dukes as Shane a fake claim.

The game design thing would be an excellent idea. I thought about how useful it would be when I was writing the resource thread but didn't think I should be the one to do it. I reckon a few people should get together to compile their different ideas and How To tips.