The Mafia Discussion Thread

I am no longer loving the waiting list, especially when people who are supposed to go don't go!

I think people should have to re-register, so that only people paying attention get to keep their spot....and people with games ready to go get top priority :shifty:

And public outcry should be able to move a game further up the list so that good game-runners can be preferred. There's a pretty long chunk of games by people who haven't run that many, every now and then it should be possible to bump a Sousa or MPH game up to the top if they're amenable. Although Saved by the Bell is going to be the greatest game of all time.

TEOL, MPH, and I discussed it quite a bit yesterday. It may be worth getting a thread going so more people can weigh in on it. Of course, if a thread's unnecessary, RW can just merge it into this thread and all will be well.

I'll look at the logs and pull out ideas.

The part that I think's most important is the 'roughly 5/6 at a time' rule. RW should be able to alter the list as he wants and if everyone as a group can advance a game if they want (SBTB next though :angry:) we have fewer problems.

There's obviously more going on than just the list, though - a Futurama mafia should always get activity regardless of what's going on, I think people are just a little burned out.

I'm not burned out, but it sucks having the board go down at 11pm and come up who-knows-when, and on top of that I'm having to go through a proxy to even get it to load at all. That coupled with lack of discussion is slowing the games down big time, and the fact that Futuramafia & Mythology mafia have absolutely huge numbers of people playing doesn't help.

I'd be in favor of having each mafia game list the number of roles, and then ordering them based on that so we don't end up with 4-5 40-person games running at once. I'd like to see list separated, so you can have 2 30+ role games running, 2 <30, etc. so there's never a huge wait between game starts.

I'd be in favor of having each mafia game list the number of roles, and then ordering them based on that so we don't end up with 4-5 40-person games running at once. I'd like to see list separated, so you can have 2 30+ role games running, 2 <30, etc. so there's never a huge wait between game starts.

We talked about this a bit last night--having separate queues for large games (30+), medium-sized games (20-29), and small games (19 and under). Maybe keep two of each running at a time. Frankly, I think more people need to be willing to run small games anyway. Ross had a nice number for Futuramafia, and I think expanding it turned it into a monstrous unwieldy thing. Which means we've got at least three games running that are going to take a while. Norro has an iffy schedule but generally puts a ton of effort into his games and his updates, Futurama is really big, and Plubby takes 4 million years to write a one-sentence update ( :shifty: ).

I also think it would be a good idea to start sign-ups while the last current game is still in endgame instead of waiting for it to end and then poking someone in the arm. Maybe the GM of a game that's approaching endgame is responsible for PMing the next person on the list to put a sign-up sheet. That way we won't be where we are now, with Scrubs Mafia sitting in limbo and everyone eager to see the next game started.

Edited by Scorching Sousa

Guest Mr. Potato Head

We talked about this a bit last night--having separate queues for large games (30+), medium-sized games (20-29), and small games (19 and under). Maybe keep two of each running at a time. Frankly, I think more people need to be willing to run small games anyway. Ross had a nice number for Futuramafia, and I think expanding it turned it into a monstrous unwieldy thing. Which means we've got at least three games running that are going to take a while. Norro has an iffy schedule but generally puts a ton of effort into his games and his updates, Futurama is really big, and Plubby takes 4 million years to write a one-sentence update ( :shifty: ).

I also think it would be a good idea to start sign-ups while the last current game is still in endgame instead of waiting for it to end and then poking someone in the arm. Maybe the GM of a game that's approaching endgame is responsible for PMing the next person on the list to put a sign-up sheet. That way we won't be where we are now, with Scrubs Mafia sitting in limbo and everyone eager to see the next game started.

I'd lower those numbers a bit (maybe 17-24 as medium), because 28 players is still pretty fucking huge.

And I still maintain that the main problem is people signing up to a game, not liking their role, and then not bothering to pay much attention to the game. This wouldn't stop that at all.

EDIT: The board going down is nowhere near the main problem with Mafia right now.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Yeah, unfortunately I'll admit that I'm really, really burned out on mafia right now, but that's because I'm burned out on a lot of stuff right now because this last quarter of college has like drained my will to live, basically. Sorry especially to Norro and Split since I've really been the laziest person ever in the cases of both of those games.