The Mafia Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Pumpkin Head
Somebody should do a Mafia Awards. Best Game, Best Play, Funniest Role-claim, Biggest Meltdown and whatever else.

I seem to remember Mafia awards being part of the Cube awards?

I'm curious, how does everyone else come up with their roles? And in what order?

Me, I put down the roles that I really like, then I work on the scum groups, and then the town (usually with the protector/cop/ect...) first, and then some of the other abilities.

Usually, before I even start going through the individual roles I have an idea of who the scum roles are going to be. Usually I'll find a massive list of possible town-aligned roles and then go through looking for inspiration for any out-of-the-ordinary abilities. I've usually got a few ideas for strange powers that I'll try and attach to any old role, but getting inspiration from the actual characters usually helpful. I'm not really averse to giving characters wildly inappropriate and totally irrelevant roles though.

The Mafia could be the notoriously good scum-side players - MEG, LD, Josh, GoGo maybe, Jam even? Pesci plays equally well as town and scum I think, likewise for LCS who's probably one of the best townie players.

Hahahahahahaha what. The only two games I ever played well as scum in were Food Mafia, where I had the added bonus of formerly being the town investigator and just having insanely good luck, and Civil War mafia where I will admit that I'm pretty proud of my Typeface fakeclaim. Otherwise I'm an awful scum player because I never bother to defend myself when I inevitably get found out.

And we are generally against role posting for scum, yes?

Don't really think so. If you're giving them a requirement that obviously points towards them having a cast-iron scummy role, then it's bad. If it's something very general and not blatantly linked to a scum character, then it's probably OK.

Edited by -A-

The best scum player on EWB is MPH bar none. His performance in DC Mafia was nothing short of magnificent bastard status.

Totally forgetting Webcom III.

While I didn't come into the mafia scene until just after that, I've since read it about a dozen times (in no small part to the superb updates by Norro), and he played you all the best I've ever seen for fucking, well, ever.

MPH = Best Scum Ever.

The best scum player on EWB is MPH bar none. His performance in DC Mafia was nothing short of magnificent bastard status.

He played well but not that well. When I re-read it a while ago I found it strange that people thought it was exceptional or something.

And FFS, GoGo's awesomeness? He just protected me and was immune from night-kills, I did all the work. >_<