The Mafia Discussion Thread

So I've got an idea for a pair of parallel games: The Monday Night Wars Mafia. I originally had RW in mind for the idea, but he posted his new project before I could ask him. Essentially, two game runners would run parallel games at the same time. I would run WCW Monday Nitro Mafia, and somebody else would run WWF Monday Night Raw Mafia. There'd be potential for crossover between the two games, as well as a system in place to determine who ultimately "wins" the Monday Night Wars.

I've got no time period in mind, either. We can run from the first showdown in fall 1995, from 1997 at the height of the nWo and the Hart Foundation, from 1998 when the war really started to heat up, from 1999 or 2000 when it was a total squash... we can negotiate that later.

Essentially, it'd be similar to MPH's parallel Avengers games, with two notable differences: a different GM would run each game, and there'd be no "good player/not as good player" game setup. Each GM would go back and forth "hiring" different people for their game, sort of like choosing teams for a schoolyard baseball game.

I've got some ideas for this that I think would make for a hell of a fun pair of games, but I don't really want to run both myself, plus I think two minds working together would be a lot of fun. If any reliable, talented, experienced GMs are interested in running Monday Night Raw Mafia alongside me, drop me a line and I'll tell you more about my ideas.

It's definitely a great idea. After Avengers I thought there was scope for a more of a cross-over kind of game. There's so much potential for swerves and original set-pieces that it's also a good move to have 2 people involved setting it up. That's actually something that I'd quite like to do with a normal mafia game - have two people heavily involved in running it. I really love the process of designing a game and balancing sides, adding in a couple of original roles; but I don't like the creative writing side of it much. I even quite enjoy the process of writing PMs, within reason, but I really don't enjoy doing the action write-ups.

Edited by -A-

Yeah, mafia games based on posters are good (like Cubed and Domed) but there are plenty of other ways to do it rather than using that as inspiration. Somebody should do a Game Cube posters mafia - the -Matt- character can have an ability where he's told once 51% of threats are eliminated.

EDIT: Actually, there's an even better role. You can submit two or maybe three names each night an you're only told whether there's a scum player in the group or none at all. It'd be like the Mastermind board game.

Edited by -A-

Yeah, mafia games based on posters are good (like Cubed and Domed) but there are plenty of other ways to do it rather than using that as inspiration. Somebody should do a Game Cube posters mafia - the -Matt- character can have an ability where he's told once 51% of threats are eliminated.

Surely it should be an investigator ability with only a 51% chance of being accurate.