The Mafia Discussion Thread

At some point I'm going to run a TradMaf kind of game called 'Red Brain' mafia. The storyline will feature the townies prising off the skulls of the lynch victims to see whether they have the evil red brains. Good guys have blue brains, obviously.

House Mafia, got it. So, I'm running three simultaneous games soon, right? Wait, make that four with 12 Angry Men.

Bahbahbah. I wanna take House Mafia.

If I let you or Pesci take it, you damn well better do it justice. And I get an automatic sign-up.

It was a Mafia game, because it involved the basic rules of a Mafia game. People should be free to run their games as they see fit, really.

Also true.

My only worry is that it will inspire copycat sort of games, and we eventually have more novelty gimmicks than simple, solid games. It's nothing major, but it's my take on the matter.

There will always be people like me, you, TEOL, -A- and MPH who enjoy playing simple games enough to inspire the masses :shifty:

That's the problem with mafia games: there needs to be a gimmick of some kind, the game needs to evolve or it'll lose people's interests, as new games turn into the same thing with a different theme. But the games themselves do not need to be "gimmicky", they just need to have something to pull people in. For Webcomic Mafia, I tried pulling people in with good roles and a good story behind the series. For Roman/Greek Mythology Mafia, I'm going to try something new with the abilities people get and hopefully weave a story that reads like an old Greek Epic, so people get and stay interested.

Gimmicks aren't bad for a mafia game, they're what brings people in. It's when people overdo the gimmicks in their games that it becomes the problem.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

House Mafia, got it. So, I'm running three simultaneous games soon, right? Wait, make that four with 12 Angry Men.

Bahbahbah. I wanna take House Mafia.

If I let you or Pesci take it, you damn well better do it justice. And I get an automatic sign-up.

I have no interest in running it now really, it's something I'd probably think about again the next time I get a craving to do a Mafia, but that won't be for a while and I'd never go through with it anyway. But if there is a House game and I miss sign-ups, somebody's getting PM-spammed.