The Mafia Discussion Thread

Eventually people do notice and get better, though. A year ago all the town ever did was just bandwagon at random. Eventually we'll find a happy medium.

Unless you're HTTK, and insist that your poor performance was justified. Then nothing ever changes.

:rolleyes: wow, you really need something else in your life if you're still on that. It was one play in one game. Please, show me the people that haven't had a bad play ever.

I know I'm not a great mafia player, but I'm learning as I go just like everybody else did. I'm sorry that I don't share your zeal for mafia and don't hold it in the regard that you apparently do. My most humble apologies.

I even asked for explination on the entire scenario and presented something in regards to the thought process but only got "RAWR stupid idiot RAWR you suck RAWR I died yourfaultRAWR" in return. So yeah, I didn't really think twice nor care about it all that much.

I think that's really wrong. I've had town aligned roleblockers before, and I've only just realised (after the last game that I used it in, I've since retired it from my games) how bad it is. It is only good if you decide that the mafia's kill can be roleblocked, otherwise it has a fairly minimal impact on the game.

Now I think it's the trait of a lazy game runner trying to round up to generate enough roles. I've certainly done that before.

And I completely disagree. I wasn't being lazy when I made the Ashley role the first time, she was actually one of the first roles I'd made for the game. The fact of the matter is that the roleblocker role CAN be useful to the town, as it's a pseudo-investigation ability if used properly that forces a scum, if caught out, to defend themselves.

I dunno, I realize it depends on the game and the person who receives the role, but in the times I've had it in my games I've seen it be made into a very useful town role, so I've no complaints.

It can be useful, but its generally more detrimental, as it's just random, and most of the abilities in a game are positive (doctors, investigators, etc:), there's generally not more than a couple of killing roles and roleblocking scum is a tough one (who do you have to target for it to work?).

In fact, I can see bus driver being better than roleblocker as a town role.

Yeah, bus drivers are definitely more useful to the town than roleblockers, generally, as seen by WWF:1999. I reckon they give you a lot more tangible information to think about, whereas with roleblockers your best case scenario for feedback is there being no kill (where you still can't rule out inactive dons, protectors and the rest.)

Town roleblockers probably shouldn't use their ability at all unless it's an incredibly ability-heavy game where you're going to get information to balance the potential to damage the town.

Billy Mays is awesome strictly for inventing the Big City Slider Station.

content_01b.jpg

It makes TINY BURGERS.

That. Looks. Awesome.

The little pub attached to my college used to serve Sliders every Tuesday, and they were awesome.

Edited by Toe

RE: Town Roleblockers and Bus Drivers

I like to include them for the increased paranoia they can create. In fact, I love to include abilities that create a big temptation for the player to use them, when the chances of the ability HURTING the town are decent to good.

DC Mafia Gotham seems to have broken down into a "Lynch All Harveys" situation.