Reccommend me some country music

Thrilla

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me explain my feelings on country music.

80s and before = The shit.

90s and after, besides Garth Brooks = Just shit.

The Highwaymen. Yeah, its a supergroup, but they're worth it just for 'Highwayman'. Of course, they're also great seperately, so Willie, Waylon, Merle, and Kris (that would be Nelson, Jennings, Haggard, and Kristofferson).

Alabama. Great country group. 'Song of the South', 'Cheap Seats', hell, they've done a lot of great stuff.

Johnny Cash is an obvious one.

Garth Brooks is a pretty damn good, obviously, since I already named him.

Marty Robbins. If you want some older stuff, he's good.

Charlie Daniels Band. 'Devil Went Down to Georgia' and 'Orange Blossom Special'. 'Nuff said.

Hank Sr. and Hank Jr. are both pretty good, although I prefer Hank Jr. I eat that southern fried rock stuff up with a spoon. I'd say Lynyrd Skynyrd but thats a bit more rock to me.

Kenny Rogers is great too. 'Gambler' as already mentioned, and 'Coward of the County' too. 'Islands in the Sun' is a good duet with Dolly Parton, who is pretty decent herself.

Reba McEntire is good as well. Not sure if I spelled her name right. 'Fancy' and 'Night the Lights Went out in Georgia' off the top of my head for her.

In terms of just songs... 'Seven Spanish Angels' by Willie Nelson with Ray Charles is pretty fuckin' good. Ditto for Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road', and the REAL version of 'Cotton Eyed Joe', not the techno version (although I can stand that too).

Plus, country can claim the only song that has ever made me cry, 'Don't Take the Girl', although I can never remember who its by, maybe someone can help me out with that one.

Wow, I actually like way more country than I thought. Maybe I am a hick.

Forgot to mention: Dwight Yoakam, Travis Tritt, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw (anyone who doesn't listen to country but does listen to rap who is reading this....go check out that song he did with Nelly. Think its called `Over and Over', or something like that), Leann Rimes (her older stuff, when she was a teen. Her more recent stuff is....meh, for the most part), the Statler Brothers (definitely get hold of the song "Deck of 51"), and Charlie Pride. (Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are married and have done a few duets that are quite good)

Let me explain my feelings on country music.

80s and before = The shit.

90s and after, besides Garth Brooks = Just shit.

The Highwaymen. Yeah, its a supergroup, but they're worth it just for 'Highwayman'. Of course, they're also great seperately, so Willie, Waylon, Merle, and Kris (that would be Nelson, Jennings, Haggard, and Kristofferson).

Alabama. Great country group. 'Song of the South', 'Cheap Seats', hell, they've done a lot of great stuff.

Johnny Cash is an obvious one.

Garth Brooks is a pretty damn good, obviously, since I already named him.

Marty Robbins. If you want some older stuff, he's good.

Charlie Daniels Band. 'Devil Went Down to Georgia' and 'Orange Blossom Special'. 'Nuff said.

Hank Sr. and Hank Jr. are both pretty good, although I prefer Hank Jr. I eat that southern fried rock stuff up with a spoon. I'd say Lynyrd Skynyrd but thats a bit more rock to me.

Kenny Rogers is great too. 'Gambler' as already mentioned, and 'Coward of the County' too. 'Islands in the Sun' is a good duet with Dolly Parton, who is pretty decent herself.

Reba McEntire is good as well. Not sure if I spelled her name right. 'Fancy' and 'Night the Lights Went out in Georgia' off the top of my head for her.

In terms of just songs... 'Seven Spanish Angels' by Willie Nelson with Ray Charles is pretty fuckin' good. Ditto for Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road', and the REAL version of 'Cotton Eyed Joe', not the techno version (although I can stand that too).

Plus, country can claim the only song that has ever made me cry, 'Don't Take the Girl', although I can never remember who its by, maybe someone can help me out with that one.

Wow, I actually like way more country than I thought. Maybe I am a hick.

Isn't Steve Earle considered more a bluegrass artist than a country artist? I know he's done both, but still.....

You could argue that Townes Van Zandt is actually a folk singer too but he's still thought of as a country artst. I have to say to people to listen to Tecumsah Valley by Townes Van Zandt, it's a beautiful song. Others I'd recommed by him; Lungs, To Live's To Fly, Loretta, Flyin' Shoes, Pancho and Lefty, For the Sake of The Song and his version of Dead Flowers from the Big Lebowski soundtrack.

Steve Earle kinda blurs a lot of lines, he can do bluegrass, rock, punk, folk he's even done a bit of rap (albeit just at the end of one of his songs). He is by no means a traditonal country artist (in music or politics) he's more what you'd call Alt. Country. I say download Taneytown, Goodbye and I Ain't Ever Satisfied. Some of his best songs and anything from Transcendental Blues is genius.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned him yet but let's not forget Merle Haggard. I love that guy. I especially love that there is this urban myth that Johnny Cash was a prisoner at San Quentin but Haggard actually was and saw one of Cash's preformances there.

I can't remember who said it but I agree about the song Dublin Blues at least, I've not heard the album. I actually saw Guy live not so long ago...it was great and possibly the highlight of my year.

I love Kenny Rogers version of "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" too, I was a huge Kenny Rogers fan when I was a kid. Saw him at a festival this year (same one Guy Clark was at) I didn't really want to see him but he was pretty entertaining. He's a funny guy too, even if he has a facelift that has wiped every wrinkle from his face.

Dwight Yokam does a great cover of Johnny Cash's Understand Your Man on a Cash Tribute CD, the same one has a great Dylan cover of Train of Love.

Here's *part* of my `must hear' list:

Travis Tritt - Where Corn Don't Grow, Tell Me I Was Dreaming, If I Lost You, Anymore

Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down, I Walk The Line, Folsom Prison Blues, Me & Bobby McGee, Ghost Riders In The Sky, Delia's Gone, the Ballad Of Ira Hayes

Hank Williams (Sr) - Jambalaya, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Your Cheatin' Heart, Kaw-Liga, Ramblin' Man, Lovesick Blues, I Saw The Light

Hank Willams Jr - All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down), A Country Boy Can Survive, Naked Women And Beer, Family Tradition

Hank Sr and Jr - There's A Tear In My Beer

Hank Jr and Waylon Jennings - The Conversation

Charley Pride - Kiss An Angel Good Mornin', Kaw-Liga, (Is Anyone Going To) San Antone

Tammy Wynette - D-I-O-V-O-R-C-E, Stand By Your Man

Patsy Cline - Crazy, Walking After Midnight

Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler, Lady, Ruby, Islands In The Stream (duet with Dolly Parton)

Marty Robbins - El Paso, Water

Willie Nelson - Crazy, On The Road Again

The Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall, Atlanta Blue, Hello Mary Lou

A few notes:

Hank Sr, Jr and Charley Pride have all recorded Kaw-Liga. I think Johnny Cash also did a version, but I've never heard it.

The Hank Sr and Jr duet was done after someone found a lost recording done by Sr in their attic and Jr added his vocals to it. There's also a music video using footage from one of Sr's performances on tv, and I believe he was actually performing Hey Good Lookin' in that clip.

Charley Pride is one of the few black country performers. In fact, there are only two others I can think of: some guy who only did one song and hasn't done anything since, and country rapper Cowboy Troy.

Waylon Jennings died a few years ago, and his son Shooter Jennings is now performing, but from what I've heard so far he pretty much sucks.

Some of the songs listed are covers, but either as good as, or better, than the originals. (Water was originally done by the Sons of the Pioneers, and several different artists and groups have done Ghost Riders In The Sky)

Individual song recomendations:

Toby Keith - Huckleberry, I Love This Bar, Beer For My Horses (with Willie Nelson)

Clint Black - Leaving Here A Better Man

'Past The Point of Rescue' but I can't remember who sang it, it's an awesome song.

'She'll Leave You With A Smile' - George Strait

Wilie Nelson's version of American Tune is awesome.

Guy Clark the song Dublin Blues, I love it to death.

John Prine's 'Long Monday'.

Johnny Cash's version of Big Iron, though I do like Marty Robbins version too.

Let's throw some songs in here, though a lot of them are newer and depend on your various tastes.

Aaron Prichett-Hold My Beer

Garth Brooks-Anything by him

Brad Paisley-Alcohol, You Need A Man Around Here, I'm Gonna Miss Her, Sleepin' On The Foldout

Toby Keith-It's A Little Too Late (Video is funny)

Tracey Lawrence-If the world had a front porch, Time Marches On

Clint Black(I think)-That's A Good Way To Get On My Bad Side

I have all 3 of Paisley's albums

Who needs pictures

Mud on the Tires

Time Well Wasted.

By far the best act out.

Both of Big & Rich

A horse of a diffrent color

Coming to your City

Charlie Dainels Band

Greatest Hits

Roots: A collection of Hits (Uneasy Rider 88 is an awesome song.)

Oh and DMN, Merle Haggard was not in Highwaymen that was Kirstofferson, Jennings, Cash, and Nelson.

I despise Willie Nelson because he really can't sing. He talks through most of his songs. You could say the same for Cash, however, Cash's voice is awesome and he could just hmmm an entire album and I would buy it.

Garth Brooks is amazing I would suggest his live album.

I have all of Steve Earl's album and the song "Devil's Left Hand" is a great song along with Copper Heard Road and Hardcore Trubador.

Merle Haggard is absolutley the best. Great voice. Great Drinking songs.

A side note: Pledge to the Hag by Eric Chruch is an awesome song.

listened to probably the two best country songs I've heard in a while.

Toby Keith - Can't Go back

Fred Eaglesmith - Thinking about you

both off the Broken Bridges soundtrack.