Reccommend me some country music

Thrilla

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Cash's work is a must. Hank Williams Senior. Hank Williams III's country records are good too. George Jones. Roy Orbison. Conway Twitty. Dale Watson. All I can think of at the moment.

Big and Rich

Montgomery Gentry

Brooks and Dunn (note: the song Boot Scootin' Boogey SUCKS!)

Hank Williams Sr and Jr (I've actually never heard anything by III) - "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "There's A Tear In My Beer" I highly recommend - the latter is a duet between Sr and Jr made from a lost recording Sr did that someone found)

Trace Adkins

Sugarland

Toby Keith (unless you're a Republican, stay away from his political stuff, though) - especially check out the song "Whiskey For My Men, Beer For My Horses" which he did with Willie Nelson

Kenny Rogers - "The Gambler" is a must!

Johnny Cash

Kenny Chesney (check out "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", "Young", and "What I Need To Do")

And if you like, or can at least tolerate, rap, you definitely want to check this guy out:

Cowboy Troy, with Big & Rich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruB9_VJcLLs

*edit* And I most definitely agree with apsham's recommendations of Garth Brooks ("Rodeo", "The Thunder Rolls", and "Friends In Low Places") and Brad Paisley ("I'm Gonna Miss Her").

And I can't believe I forgot about Patsy Cline. "Crazy" is considered one of, if not THE, greatest country songs....hell, songs period....of all time, and was written by Willie Nelson. "Walking After Midnight" is also great.

I'd put down Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, Hank Sr, and Patsy Cline as must listens. Keep in mind that Cash and Rogers actually started out as rockers, though. (So did Conway Twitty, who someone else mentioned)

Edited by GhostMachine

Toby Keith , george strait , The Wreckers , Martina Mcbride , Clay walker , Alan Jackson , Big @ Rich , Lean Rhimes , Sugarland , and Travis Tritt to name a few.

if you want some older stuff then Doug Stone , Sammy Kershaw , Randy travis , Ricky Van Shelton , and Keith Whitley. plus the other artist that have been mentioned

Also the sound track for Toby Keith's move Broken Bridges has a good selection

Keith Urban

The Kentucky Headhunters

The PovertyNeck Hillbillies

Hank Jr.

Garth Brooks

Travis Tritt

Brad Paisley

Collin Raye

Nickel Creek

Clint Black

Clay Davidson

I like The Dixie Chicks, but most people hate them for various reasons

Gary Allen

Roy Orbison

Erm, the Walk The Line soundtrack was pretty dope, what with Joaquin Phoenix actually doing a good impression of Cash, and me actually liking a June Carter Cash song (only because Reese Witherspoon sounds really good singing it).

So... yeah. It's not country, but I also like Garth Brooks' alter-ego, Chris Gaines. It's pretty sweet. That's just me, though.

I cannot stress this enough, LISTEN to Townes Van Zandt.

Quoted for emphasis. Just buy one of his albums, they're normally pretty cheap too but they're beautiful. Plus it's way better than any of the modern pop country stuff, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Also Guy Clark (you can get his first two albums Ol' No. 1 and Texas Cookin' on one CD) and Steve Earle (esp. any of his stuff from the mid to late 90's onward, that's his best IMHO) are a must, if you like all three check out Together At The Bluebird Café.

Other names I can drop, John Prine and Kris Kristofferson(his latest album is also quite good). I recommend the aquiring of The Highwaymen albums and of Willie Nelson's latest album Songbird, Johnny Cash 'Personal File' is good, if you want a less mainstream Johnny Cash it's like American Recordings if he'd done it in the 1970s.

I'd say The Dixie Chicks too, I kinda like there new album. Kenny Chesney, I suppose too. I have to say I'm a huge fan of Garth Brooks' Chris Gains album.

If you check out Guy Clark I recommend Dublin Blues... for my money, it is his best album start to finish. Oh, as far as Kris Kristofferson goes I have to say his version of Sunday Morning Coming Down (which he wrote while living in a run-down tenement in Nashville when he was working as a janitor for Columbia Records. He was told if he was caught pitching songs to any artists he would be fired. He delivered this song personally to Johnny Cash after landing his National Guard helicopter in Cash's front yard. This song was #1 on the Country charts for 2 weeks in September 1970)