Rap.

Death Before Dishonor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to Nas' new album, and it's seriously a return to form for him. "Hip Hop Is Dead" is a fucking fantastic single, and there's barely any filler on the damn thing. Excellent stuff. Check it out.

Here are the new album releases for this past year I've been bumpin:

The Game - Doctor's Advocate

Nas - Hip-Hop Is Dead

Tech N9ne - Everready: The Religion

Eminem: Presents The Re-Up

Snoop Dogg - Blue Carpet Treatment

Ill Wayz - F.A.M.E.

Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor

Obie Trice - Second Rounds on Me

Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang

Young Jeezy - Thug Inspiration 102

2Pac - Pacs Life (Not too Great IMO)

Akon - Konvicted (Ditto as above, a few good songs though.

Styles P - Time Is Money

Man, DMN's clinging to a dead coast. The best they've got is Kurupt and Crooked I and still nobody cares about them. Most of his beloveds have moved base to NYC anyway. The west is a dead fucking coast. If you try to bring Game into it I'll just laugh you off. (Y)

Anyway, I'll second or third or whatever the new Nas. At first I didn't care a whole lot for it, but after a few more listens it is a really ace album.

Hahahaha. Game's no better than Budden, Nas, Busta, Styles P, Jadakiss, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon - and for that matter most of the Wu-Tang Clan - The Roots, Beanie Siegel, or Esoteric.

I will give the west coast MURS though.

Edited by Cloudy - A Broadway Show

The Roots are LEAGUES above Game. He's got a good flow going for him and that's about it. Even on Doctor's Advocate most of his "rapping" was namedropping. :/ Sometimes he gets good beats too, but even still - both of his albums are hit and miss. There's about 4 standout tracks on DA and The Documentary wasn't much better, with around half the album being passable and the other half being snooooresville.

Eh, I probably wouldn't argue too much on The Roots. Really two different styles though, almost two different types of music.

I've always looked at it like this... there's Hip-Hop, which covers most of the more 'artsy', for lack of a better term, stuff, and most of the east coast 'rap'. There's 'rap', which is generally what gets played on radio and TV, although some of the third category gets some play too, and thats 'gangsta rap', which is primarily west coast stuff, and I think we all know the difference. Game is pretty much what passes for gangsta rap these days, although its almost a dead scene.

Of course, that leaves out shit like club bangers, which fall someone in there, like Lil' Jon type shit, all hooks, beats, and whatever, and underground, which is really a whole different music scene, IMO.

if I was the West Coast I'd be shoving Game back in the closet or ushering him back to Comp-toooooon and promoting MURS and Crooked I as the next big thing. MURS has the whole "gangsta" thing going on, as well as the collab albums with Slug. It's almost like conscious gangsta rap if there was ever such a thing.

And Crooked I's just badass.

http://myspace.com/crookedi

http://www.mixunit.com/balance2.html

The only people who listen to West Coast rap are gangstas and wannabe gangstas. It was always going to be a flash-in-the-pan, there's only so many songs about guns and bitches you can listen to before you think "This is lame, I should probably start listening to people with brain cells".