What music are you listening to?

Benji

200px-Insomnia_hedpe.jpg

(hed) p.e. - INSOMNIA

So they do happen to be my most favourite band ever, but still, I must say, this album is fucking awesome. It goes from rap to metal to hip hop to punk all within a couple songs, and actually sticks to a bit of a message... it's amazing :crying: . Jahred (the vocalist) can sing, yell, scream and rap like a motherfucker. It also features Daddy X and Johnny Richter of the Kottonmouth Kings, Big B, Tech N9ne and Roscoe. Best tracks are "Walk On By", "Atlantis A.D.", "Game Over", "Tienanman Squared", and their cover of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" known as "Children" (y'know, that 'STOP, CHILDREN, WHAT'S THAT SOUND, EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT'S GOING DOWN' song. :shifty: )

Do yourself a favour and check it out. 10/10.

I revisited an album that was a staple of my preteen years...

limpbizkit - Significant Other (7/10)

It's alot better than I remember it being. I'm 18 now, so I can appreciate the meanings of songs like "Nookie", "I'm Broke" and "No Sex" better now.

Misfits' 12 Hits From Hell

9/10

This album is fucking good. It was recorded with two guitarists, the original guitarist Bobby Steele and Jerry Only's brother Doyle Von Frankenstein. It's mostly really polished recordings of Misfits material that was later re-recorded for other releases with Danzig (from my understanding), but the difference in sound is immense. Tracks like London Dungeon and Night of the Living Dead and my favourite Astro Zombies sound very.. different from the releases I'm used to, but in a good way.

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

As opposed to doing what I normally do and just shuffling through my library on iTunes I've decided to just listen to an album every day(If I ahve the time to) and giving each track a rating, to get my top 25 top rated more accurate. Todays choice was Modest Mouse thanks to March Inot the Sea catchign my attention and me realising I ahvent listened to some fo the tracks on this album mroe than once.

Anyway, I'm now on track number 5(Missed the Boat) which I personally listen to as a follow up to Float on, I dont know why, I just get a feeling of connection between the two. ANYWAY. Great album, I've been a fan of the band for a short while but some of their sogns just didn't appeal to me. I believe this album as a whole has made me appreciate some of the variety Modest Mouse have whether its a slow calming song like Missed the Boat or the more indie tunes(Dashboard/We've Got Everything) They have become one of my favourite bands this year and I think the tracks found within this album are just as good/better than the highlights from their previous efforts.

~

9/10 from me

Best Songs:Fire It Up, Dashboard, We've Got Everything, Spitting Venom.

• 2 weeks later...

422882221_db37fdeb84_o.jpg

"Morning Becomes Eclectic Session: 2003" by The Postal Service

I stumbled across this gem accidentally today, when trying to find the first EP released by Electric President (Which I still haven't found...I have 2 tracks...any additional help will be awesome. :shifty:) Basically it's live recordings done for the radio show, with a brief interview in the middle talking about the band (Fans don't really learn anything new, besides that before calling for her to work on the album, neither of the actualy Postal Service members had met Jenny Lewis).

TRACKLIST:

1. Intro

2. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

3. We Will Become Silhouettes

4. Nothing Better

5. Interview

6. Clark Gable

7. This Place Is A Prison

8. Such Great Heights

9. Brand New Colony (Mess up...when radio comes in halfway through)

10. Brand New Colony

Puddle Of Mudd - "Famous"

It's released next Monday/Tuesday, but it was leaked today I managed to leagally download it and it only took 5 mins.

I already had the title track, 'Famous', so I only needed to get the other 10 on this 11 song album.

Some of the songs go in a different direction to their other two albums IMO, and overall the album's got a 'happier' sound too.

Rating: 8/10

Apparently, Alter Bridge's "Blackbird" has also been leaked is available to download, but I wasn't able to download it :thumbsdown: . Just have to wait until it's released Monday/Tuesday too.

Puddle Of Mudd - "Famous"

It's released next Monday/Tuesday, but it was leaked today I managed to leagally download it and it only took 5 mins.

I already had the title track, 'Famous', so I only needed to get the other 10 on this 11 song album.

Some of the songs go in a different direction to their other two albums IMO, and overall the album's got a 'happier' sound too.

Rating: 8/10

Apparently, Alter Bridge's "Blackbird" has also been leaked is available to download, but I wasn't able to download it :thumbsdown: . Just have to wait until it's released Monday/Tuesday too.

Why? Not allowed to like what I like?

As for Alter Bridge's "Blackbird", I managed to get that too, and I agree with person above, not as good as One Day Remains. It's gone a bit too metal for my taste. Will take a few more listens to enjoy it all.

Rating: 7/10

Edited by TheModernWay

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, received an advance copy of Serj Tankian's "Elect The Dead" for review purposes. IGN and Blabbermouth aren't too far off, but Serj's tendencies are more operatic/power metal vocally and by-the-numbers rock musically (though there are hints of classical in his songwriting...you'll hear a lot more piano than you may expect going in.) Some tracks get a bit too operatic for my tastes ("Beethoven's Cunt" for an example...still a great name, though) while sometimes he just gets a bit too whiny and repetitive ("Saving Us").

Long story short, if you dug System of a Down's mid-tempo work, you'll like most of this. 7/10 for the number peoples.

Recently I purchased Good Apollo I am Burning Star IV Part 2: No World For Tomorrow by Coheed and Cambria, and Dark Passion Play by Nightwish.

The former is a decent to good album, but for me doesn't have the stand out tracks that previous efforts have. It's just an all round decent-to-good album that fits in with their other stuff nicely. Part 1 is still by far their best album. Part 2 probably sits just behind In Keeping Secrets... with Second Stage bringing up the rear. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

The latter is damn fine effort. I'll admit that I was dubious with them changing lead singer but - she is really good! It helps that her diction and comprehension of English is clearly better than Tarja's. It now means that the lyrics actually mean something now! But yeah, to cut a potentially long review short, this is very fucking good. 8.5/10

Oh, and buy buying them I got 4 Symbols by Led Zeppelin for £4. Score! (Virgin Megastore if you're interested)

New Nightwish Chick isn't bad, aye. I was worried they'd turn into Lacuna Coil, a fate worse than death. Luckily, they haven't. They still sound different. Can't really comment on the album, as I've only heard a preview version of Sahara, but New Nightwish Chick gets the thumbs up from me, vocals-wise.

I would add a review here, but frankly I haven't bought anything new for ages, so I can't.

I'm pretty obsessed with Colin Hay right now and since my thread is unloved I shall pimp!

Colin Hay - Peaks and Valleys

According to Wiki all the tracks were recorded in one take on this album. Take that as you will but it is an acoustic album by Australian/Scottish singer-songerwriter, former Men At Work frontman and contributer to the soundtracks of Scrubs and the movie Garden State. Songs like "Into The Cornfields", "She Keeps Me Dreaming" and "Keep On Walking" really stick out on this album. The last two tracks "Go Ask an Old Man" and "Sea Dogs" are probably the weaker songs but the rest of the album kinda makes up for it. 7.5/10

Colin Hay - Man @ Work

Hay preforms solo versions of Men At Work songs, this album also features some of Hay's better known songs ("Overkill", "Beautiful World" and Men At Work's "Down Under"). Incidentally the track "Be Good Johnny" is the Supernanny theme. "Waiting For My Real LIfe To Begin" which makes it's second appearance on one of Hay's albums ("Looking For Jack" and"Beautiful World" also were re-recorded for this album). "Who Can It Be Now" is my personal favorite of the songs that appear on this album alone. 6/10

Colin Hay - Going Somewhere

For the songs on it, it appears to be my highest rated Colin Hay album on my playlist, all the songs are strong. "Water Song", "My Brilliant Feat" (another of Hay's songs that has appeared on Scrubs), "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin", "Looking For Jack" and an accoustic version of "Wayfaring Sons" (which along with "Waiting For..." appears on an earlier album, "Waiting For..." appears on Topanga, whilst "Wayfaring Son" appears on an album of the same name, "Looking For Jack" too was the title of Hay's solo debut). Going Somewhere puts re-recordings and new material together in an acoustic blend that opens with the wonderful "Beautiful World" (which illustrates his penchant for re-recording songs, though I can forgive him recording this for example is as it's a wonderful song) and closes with a live recording "I Don't Know Why" which is A Capella. 9/10

Colin Hay - Topanga

I can't say much about this album other than the songs are good, a couple of songs mentioned above appear on this one ("Into The Cornfields" and "Waiting For My...",) "Can't Take This Town" which also appears on Peaks and Valleys is on this one, it's a real fun song (fun might not be the exact right word) about (I'm guessing) L.A or at least somewhere that sounds L.A. A couple of songs sound like they came off some early 90's movie soundtrack... Which isn't a bad thing in my books really. The version of "Waiting For My.." on this one is very Steve Winwoodesque, that is to say it reminds me of his song "Back In The High Life Again" in some kind of way I can't put my finger on. Like Peaks and Valleys the final two tracks kinda let it down. 6.5/10

Incidentally, "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" Hay's song from Garden State comes off of Transcendental Highway... which I'm not going into now. I found it the weakest of his albums (and I've heard all bar one of them in the last week).