Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

No, the thing is money. You can do a playoff, but you have to find a way to keep it in with the prestige of the January bowl games. The games have to start after finals, so you're looking at a week and a half in December to get through at least a round. It's a hard thing to work around thanks to tradition, it can be done, but nobody will approve it unless they know the Big Four will stay intact, not be moved, and still maintain their prestige.

All right, I used my NCAA 07 and simmed this bad boy. Here's what happened.

(1)Ohio State vs (16)Mid Ten St (Liberty Bowl - Memphis Tennessee)

49-21

The Liberty Bowl was rocking as the Blue Raiders took the opening kickoff 98 yds for a score, and then returned an interception 78 yds for a score and a 14-0 lead. They kept the momentum as they were only down 28-21 heading to the fourth. OSU took over from there with 21 points to seal the deal. Most notable, was Tressel's team again playing to the level of their competition accompanied with the spirited effort of MTSU. POG was Pittman with 32 - 205 and 3 TD's.

(2)Florida vs (15)Central Michigan (Gator Bowl - Jacksonville Florida)

36-7

No contest with Florida outgaining the Chips 433 - 124. The MAC Champs were never in it and didn't help themselves with 3 turnovers. Leak was POG going 26/35 with 3 TDS and 1 INT.

(3)Lousville vs (14)Houston (Chick-fil-A Bowl - Atlanta Georgia)

37-33

A highly entertaining game was expected, and the offenses didn't disappoint. This one was much like the Loui/WV game earlier in the year. Both Brohm and Kolb looked great, and the defenses did everything they could to try and cover somebody. Surprisingly it was Louisville's defense that held off two drives in the 4th after taking the lead with 12 minutes left to play. POG was split between Urrutia who had 171 yds rec and 2 scores, and Nate Harris who had 12 tackles/forced 2 fumbles/had final drive killing interception.

(4)USC vs (13)BYU (Holiday Bowl - San Diego California)

37-23

BYU showed why it won 10 games this year, and USC showed why it has regained the dynasty. Going into the 4th tied, USC scored twice in 2 minutes to put the game away. Stat of the game was the enormous yardage differential with USC winning 531 - 155. BYU used great special teams play and capatilized on USC's two turnovers to stay in the game. POG was Booty going 17/25 with 312 yds and 3 TD's.

(5)Boise St vs (12)Wake Forest (Insight Bowl - Phoenix Arizona)

35-10

Easily the most anticipated match of the first round in terms of fun turned into a statement by Boise State. 14 quick points in the first quarter was all they'd need, but only the start as they tooke a 28-3 halftime lead. Getting sacked six times and committing three turnovers doomed Wake's chances. POG was Zabransky as he threw 22/34 for 328 yds and 4 TD's.

(6)Michigan vs (11)Notre Dame (Capital One Bowl - Orlando Florida)

26-17

A much different game this time around, but the same outcome. Michigan scored fifteen less points, but only allowed ND their original 17. The Irish were up 17-13 going into the fourth but couldn't hold on. 3 INT's doomed Quinn and the Irish as two of them came in the 4th. POG was Michigan's secondary for picking off Quinn 3 times.

(7)LSU vs (10)Oklahoma (Independence Bowl - Shreveport Louisiana)

23-42

By far the biggest eyebrow raiser in the first round. LSU gave up 42 points and 581 yds. A 21 point thrid quarter handed Oklahoma the game. Paul Thompson was impressive with 309 yds and 3 TD's, but it was Allen Patrick stealing the show with 269 yds on the ground and 3 TD's to get him POG honors.

(8)Wisconsin vs (9)Auburn (Cotton Bowl - Dallas Texas)

28-34

A very close game was decided with just 4 seconds as Irons dove over the goal line to give Auburn the win. Surprisingly offensive game with Auburn getting the yards advantage 404 - 353. POG honors went to Irons as he was 28 - 169 and the winning TD. Stocco played well also with 243 pass yards and 3 TDS.

So, six of the top eight teams made it to the second round, and Auburn getting the win over Wisconsin wasn't that much of an upset if at all. The lowest seed left is the tenth seeded Big 12 champion ... not exactly a sham of a team. Only two true blowouts despite a feeling of certain teams not belonging and all that jazz. Entertaining and fun I'd say. Certainly brought about some intriguing games and had a great mix of traditional/non-traditional games. The usage of the 'big four' bowl games is directly determined by who's left. Right, on to the second round.

(1)Ohio State vs (9)Auburn (Sugar Bowl)

42-21

Dead even at the half, OSU takes control with a 14 point third quarter. Time of possesion was key with OSU holding the ball and sustaining drives, not giving Auburn the chance to answer. POG was Pittman again as he rushed for 167 yds on 27 carries and scored 2 TD's. Also key, was OSU's run defense which only surrendered 87 yds on the ground.

(2)Florida vs (10)Oklahoma (Orange Bowl)

34-21

This one was dead even at 21 at the half thanks to UF getting 21 in the second quarter. Seperation was in the third as UF opened the second half with a kick return for a touchdown, and momentum they never lost. OU committed four turnovers that literally cost them the game, as they were unable to get anything going in the second half. POG was Dallas Baker who had 9 catches for 150 yds and 2 TD's.

(3)Louisville vs (6)Michigan (Outback Bowl)

35-17

Probably not expected. A solid win by Louisville. The game was in their control the entire time. They jumped out 14 points and never looked back. Michigan tried to play cath up, which they aren't too good at. The Louisville D stepped up huge only allowing 243 total yds. POG was Brohm who was uber effecient in 16/20 passing for 251 yds and 4 TD's.

(4)USC vs (5)Boise State (Rose Bowl)

42-31

A first half shootout calmed in the third only to see 28 points in the fourth quarter. Boise was keeping pace until Zabransky threw two interceptions that directly led to USC scores. That provided the cushion in the game. POG went to Dwayne Jarrett who had 7 catches for 121 yds and 2 TD's.

The second round once again followed suit. Many would have predictd Michigan to at least make the final four, but not so. The Cardinals prove they are worthy of their ranking. The best overall game was USC/Boise, as the Broncos showed they belong at least in the conversations about top teir programs. So, we head to the semi-finals with the top four rated teams comprising the field. Wow, who knew ? Here we go.

(1)OSU vs (4)USC (Fiesta Bowl)

28-21

In the battle of the best overall teams of the last five years, it was an interception return with 3:11 left on the clock that gave OSU the win. The Buckeyes controlled the yardage and the clock, but made two mistakes that led directly to points for USC. The Buckeye defense turned the Trojans one dimensional by only allowing 71 yds on the ground. Coincidentally, they made their statement on the ground by rushing for 271 yds. POG was Pittman again as he rushed 30 times for 221 yds and 2 TD's.

(2)Florida vs (3)Louisville (Sun Bowl)

42-29

This one was expected to be explosive and it was. After a 7-6 first quarter, Louisville ran off 21 in the second, only to see UF outscore them 20-7 in the third. Hoping to get the ball back and one last shot at a score to tie the game, UF punted with 4:41 remaining. Louisville though returned the punt and sealed the game. While solid in his performance (17/30 253 - 3 TD's), Brohm also threw 2 INT's. It was Kolby Smith that took POG with 25 carries for 186 yds and 2 TDS's.

We now have our final two teams. Not surprising in their appearence is OSU. Even through a playoff, they have shown to be the best team and worthy of a National Title game slot. A slight surprise in their opponent, but not too huge. Many have felt for a few years now that Louisville can play with anyone in the country, and right now they're proving it. Let's see how the National Title game goes.

(1)OSU vs (3)Louisville (National Title Game)

First Quarter

21-0 OSU

Early on Louisville tried to pressure Troy Smith. It seemed to work as he was flustered and couldn't find anyone open. Then he remembered he had feet, and scampered 47 yds for a score. A fumble and two minutes later, Smith found Ginn streaking down the sideline for a 51 yd touchdown pass. The game appeared to be ugly, and out of hand as Louisville struggled to do anything on offense. With five left in the quarter, Smith threw his second touchdown pass to Gonzalez from 29 yds out. Louisville looked completely overwhelmed.

Second Quarter

24-14 OSU

The Cardinal D finally woke up and the pressure finally got to Troy Smith. The speed of Louisville's linebackers was finally able to reign him in, and the athleticism of their corners didn't allow anymore streaking WR's. Kolby Smith found the endzone with eight minutes left in the half, and a 65 yd fumble return put them within seven. Just before half OSU looked to find the endzone again, but a monumental goaline stand forced a 25 yd field goal.

Third Quarter

31-21 OSU

The momentum of the second quarter rolled over for Louisville's D. The two teams trades scores but Louisville squandered a chance for three by going for a fourth down. For the first time in the game though, Louisville looked comfortable and confidant. They quit dropping passes, and they didn't allow a play longer than 7 yds in the quarter. Both teams had long drives that stalled deep in their opponents territory.

Fourth Quarter

38-38

The last period started out good for the Cardinals as Kolby Smith found the endzone to cap a long time consuming drive. He cut the deficit to three with only eight minutes left in the game. Just a few minutes later Louisville's continued pressure paid off as they took an interception back 56 yds for a score and their first lead of the game. Ohio State responded quickly as Pittman rolled off a 62 yd scoring run only two mintues after Louisville took the lead. Down by three and starting to stall with their title hopes on the line, Louisville went for it on fourth down and got the yardage for not only the first down, but for field goal range. With 1:45 left on the clock, the tied it up.

OVERTIME

Louisville won the toss and went on D. On third and twenty, Smith threw an interception. It only took Louisville two plays. Kolby Smith added another TD and Louisville won the title.

FINAL - 44-28 LOUISVILLE

Now that was fun.

I love the move ...

I sure as HELL wouldn't want to follow Price/Shula at Alabama ... the program is a mess .... It takes someone special (see Butch Davis) to take a program in the state that 'Bama is in now and make it right.

I applaud RR for staying at WV

other coaching news:

BC got gutted as O'Brien leaves for NC State. This could work nicely, as Amato got people to believe in the football program. He's got some things to work with and has proven to be a damn good coach. I like it.

Randy Shannen is in at Miami. Interesting choice, and surprised that they didn't go with a 'name.' I truly think that this is a better decision, as a former player (one from the glory years at that) is likely to take more pride in building the program back to respectability, not just try to win games at the U. It probably won't work because the 'right' people are usually not given enough time to make things work. Hopefully he is.

Edited by HailtotheKing

Any coach who takes on the `Bama job has to be either an idiot or in it for the money, because with the school's coaching history I think they're at least a couple or three coaches from getting anywhere back to respectability on a regular basis.

But I'm a Vols fan who hates `Bama, so I'm fine with that.

No offense but that is the worst playoff ever. Take away conference championships? Than why isn't Arkansas in your playoff or other division winners? Take away 15 bowl games? Fuck that. Teams make money from bowl games and if you did take them away you would never hear the midlevel teams from complaing about them.

A ) The bowl scene is so oversatured it makes the WWE product look thin.

B ) After the cuts of all the other schools in the conference there will be roughly 1/4 - 2/3 of the bowl teams that make NO money, or LOSE money by going to a bowl this year. It happens every year.

C ) Division winners aren't CONFERENCE winners.

D ) The midlevel teams are trading MEANINGLESS bowl games for an actual shot at the national title. In this playoff every team in the nation has the exact same chance of winning the national title no matter their conference. You think midlevel teams would rather be guaranteed a shot in the national title playoffs after a 9-4 conference title year, or the MPC Computers bowl ?

If Vince Young continues to do well Troy Smith will be drafted high and most likely start within the season. If Vince Young does mediocre than Troy Smith will be drafted between the 2-4th QB depending on who comes out and than most likely not start this next season... Or it is just what I see.

Comparing Troy Smith to Vince Young is a horrendous comparison...they are completely different players. The best comparison i've seen for Smith is Drew Brees....both very similar college players, other than Smith running more earlier in his career, both around 6'0, both can make all the throws and have good accuracy.

My comment about Smith being a third string QB in the NFL was a joke, because a lot of Heisman Trophy winners over the past few decades....especially the QBs....have been crap or mediocre in the NFL. (Mainly because the Heisman is more often than not awarded based on popularity than on actual talent *cough*Charles Woodson*cough*)

No no, your playoff system does indeed suck. Rewarding mediocrity = stupid.

I'd ask you to come up with a better solution, but we both know that you won't because for whatever reason you brain numbingly follow the absolute sham that is the BCS. This BCS system that allows TWO non-conference winners and a team that doesn't even play in a conference to be showcased on the 'highest' of stages and regarded as the best of the best DESPITE the fact that there are TWO ten win conference champions outside of the 'cooperating schools.' I'd ask you to come up with a better solution but you will say that the BCS works when it CLEARLY does not. Rather than accept that there are teams that are as good as the second and third place teams in "major" conferences out there, you will sit and tell me that they don't matter because they don't play certain schools. That's what sucks here.

Rewarding mediocrity ? Try the current bowl games, not my playoff. I have ONE team and ONE team only that doesn't have 9 or more wins in my playoff. The current bowl structure and post-season has 33 teams with 8 wins or less, including multiple 6-6 teams. Who's the one rewarding mediocrity here ?

In your system you only reward the select few. So the select few will be showcased on TV and will get the majority of the recruits and continue on being in the select few, but in the current system it rewards a decent season with a game on TV so the next year they can get better and better.

Your playoff system is killing tradition, which is one of the biggest things in college football. Also the pollster obviously felt that a 11-1 team and two 10-2 team deserved to get in ahead of a 10-3 team and a 9-4 team. I have no idea why. Oh wait maybe because they think they are better.

What is your playoff system trying to prove? The best team in college football? Well if your conference champ Houston wanted to prove they deserved to be in the hunt, maybe they shouldn't of lost to 6-6 Miami, 6-6 ULL, or 8-5 Southern Miss. Or if Central Michigan wanted to have a shot, maybe they shouldn't have lost to BC, Michigan, Kentucky, or Northrn Illinois. With this system every game matters and I do not see how taking that away from college football would help college football. Sure maybe they need a plus one and hopefully they will fix it, but until than this is the system we have and thank goodness we have this system and not yours as I would be weeping if we had yours.

No no, your playoff system does indeed suck. Rewarding mediocrity = stupid.

I'd ask you to come up with a better solution, but we both know that you won't because for whatever reason you brain numbingly follow the absolute sham that is the BCS. This BCS system that allows TWO non-conference winners and a team that doesn't even play in a conference to be showcased on the 'highest' of stages and regarded as the best of the best DESPITE the fact that there are TWO ten win conference champions outside of the 'cooperating schools.' I'd ask you to come up with a better solution but you will say that the BCS works when it CLEARLY does not. Rather than accept that there are teams that are as good as the second and third place teams in "major" conferences out there, you will sit and tell me that they don't matter because they don't play certain schools. That's what sucks here.

Rewarding mediocrity ? Try the current bowl games, not my playoff. I have ONE team and ONE team only that doesn't have 9 or more wins in my playoff. The current bowl structure and post-season has 33 teams with 8 wins or less, including multiple 6-6 teams. Who's the one rewarding mediocrity here ?

I think the BCS needs to be used as a guideline, or tool, for helping decide who plays in the bowl games and for the national championship, but when common sense dicates that its rankings be ignored (and especially when it leads to the possibility of teams sharing the championship, which it was designed to prevent but hasn't on a few occasions), they should be. Oklahoma didn't deserve to play for the title a couple years ago because Auburn actually played a tougher schedule, and the BCS rankings and polls shouldn't put a team in a game based on politics or bullshit over a team that's better.

I think you should have a playoff with independent teams such as Notre Dame and every recognized conference's champion representing only in if they have a record that deserves them to be invited. Byes, if necessary, should probably be determined by points scored and allowed during the season rather than rankings, with either rankings or how the teams did vs. each other (if they played during the season) being used to determine who gets the bye if there are any ties.

The biggest problems I see with a playoff system are the fact that you'd probably have to cut the season a game short to fit in a reasonable tournament unless you end up with the games going well into January or Feburary or make the teams play more than 1 game a week, and the possibility of teams who played in the season facing each other again at some point during the playoffs. You'd have to organize it in such a way that the teams meet during the actual playoff tournament and not in the championship game. I also see a problem with making a fair playoff system, because I seriously think there is heavy favoritism\bias in favor of certain schools and conferences. (The SEC gets the shaft a lot, despite the fact that they're one of, if not THE, most successful conferences financially and popularity wise, and I have no doubt that if Michigan and Ohio State hadn't already played each other during the season that Michigan would be in the championship game instead of the Gators)

I also think pre-season rankings are bullshit, and wish there was a way to toss them out completely, since more often than not the team that's ranked isn't the team that actually takes the field for the first game. (Players get injured in practices, quit school, transfer somewhere else, or get expelled or suspended before the season ever starts, after all, and you can't really judge a team's Freshmen, as someone who was hot shit in high school may be plain shit in college)

Edited by GhostMachine