2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Guest The Spud

Also, Dave Pratt and Don Taylor are on vacation. They had Mitch Berger, an NFL punter in, the other day. It was weird hearing an NFL guy talking about Scott Niedermayer and the Hamilton Predators.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver passes on Oscar Moeller. TWICE. FUCKING IDIOTS.

They drafted a lot of losers, for the most part. Seriously, you have a Swede playing Major Junior Hockey in Chilliwack, and you pass on him to draft someone from the United States Hockey League. Really, really retarded.

Toronto was also offered Fernandez and Vokoun before the draft.

If Mark Bell performs much better then last season and returns to being a twenty goal scorer, then this may have been the best deal available.

Also, I have no clue who Toronto drafted with their few picks. I know they have a few guys in the system that could develop like Nikolai Kulemin, Justin Pogge and Jiri Tlusty, but the Leafs are pretty shallow in terms of young talent, except for Wellwood, Steen and few others.

Edited by desiredtoe

The Maple Leafs better hope this move doesn't backfire on them, because they are not building up any internal depth, they are not building up any strength on their back-end, and they are not helping out their anemic penalty killing. This is going to be a big issue for the Maple Leafs and their coach, Paul Maurice.

The Maple Leafs better hope this move doesn't backfire on them, because they are not building up any internal depth, they are not building up any strength on their back-end, and they are not helping out their anemic penalty killing. This is going to be a big issue for the Maple Leafs and their coach, Paul Maurice.

If Pierre McGuire a tool or what? Dude doesn't even realize that our defence is probably our strength. :pinch:

The St. Louis Blues got the rights to Keith Tkachuk back for only a conditional first round pick in 2008. Good move for them, they got who they wanted, and the conditional pick probably remains with St. Louis if it is in the top ten of the draft.

I heard that Toronto has roughly $5 million to spend, and are looking to deal defenceman Ian White. Rumour is they want to bring back Peca (as long as he comes down from his previous salary) and then get a good depth scoring option.

Why the hell would the Blues do that trade, though? If Tazchuk wants back in St. Louis, can't they wait? Wasn't that the "wink, wink" clause in the original deal?

Why the hell would the Blues do that trade, though? If Tazchuk wants back in St. Louis, can't they wait? Wasn't that the "wink, wink" clause in the original deal?
Edited by desiredtoe

Jesus Christ Almighty! Rumors have the Habs ready to pitch a 7 year 50 Million!!!!! dollar deal for Briere...

What. The. Fuck.

First person to blame this on the French clearly knows nothing about how hockey works in Montreal.

The more I think about it, the less I want Briere on the team. Look who he played with on Buffalo. Who's he gonna play with in Montreal? Higgins and Kovalev? I'd be surprised if he signed and managed to be a point per game player. He got great talent, but I feel that he needs a supporting cast to hit 95 points like he did.

So the salary cap is now going to be $50.3 million. Good for the Leafs, as that means they will be spending more, but if the cap keeps going up and up like this then we will be approaching salaries like before.

I just read on TSN that Jason Allison, who didn't recieve the type of offers he expected last season and sat out, is not retired as many thought and is hoping to sign on with a team. Allison is so slow though, and every time he touched the puck I was yelling at my TV for him to get rid of it before he turned it over. He has been a very consistent point producer, and would definitly help any teams powerplay.

That's an individual's player salary. That's the maximum salary for an individual player. It can't be more then 20% of a teams total salary cap space. That's one of those "HELP! I'm an NHL GM and I'm afraid I might hurt myself!" rules, because the logistics of giving one player 20% of your payroll is... silliness.

From what I'm reading now, the salary floor is ALWAYS $16 million USD below the maximum of the cap. That meant that in season one it was $28 and so now has risen to $32. The math doesn't really work out, since the cap is $50.3 and $16 million less then that is $34.3, but what I'VE heard from just watching free agent build up, it's $32. I think $32 is the number, so roll with that. Most teams tend to be around $33/37 already, so I don't forsee anyone not making the floor, unless Nashville continues the firesale and hard.

Also, I've thought of an interesting loophole in the salary cap. Kimmo Timonen right now will make $8 million USD next season but it will tail down to $3 million in the last year of his deal. His averaged salary is thus his cap hit. Apparently a player can sign a deal that is front loaded like that as long as the next year of his deal is not less, at any time, then 50% of the last year, in order to make averaging easier (~_~). You could theoretically sign a guy, say, Paul Kariya, to a contract for 2 years, at $8 million this year and $4 million next year. Then, after paying him out this year, $8 million in salary counting as $6 million cap space, you can resign him to the exact same deal. I'm positive they must have a rule against that, but if they don't, holy shit the lockout was totally useless.