2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

I think the New York Rangers made the wrong moves this off-season.

It is hard to argue against getting Scott Gomez and Chris Drury for your team. And they will be fantastic players for the team, with Gomez playing in a more offensive system and likely with Jagr, and Drury getting Shanahan on his wing (when Shanahan does resign). There is no doubt in my mind that the Rangers will make the NHL playoffs.

However, they made the playoffs with their current line-up. The New York Rangers now have a very large amount of money tied up in three players, much like Tampa Bay. But the problem with the Rangers in my mind is defense - Jagr can play better defensively then some of their regulars on the blue line. It's too late now, but I think to truly be a cup team, the Rangers needed to add some firepower and even a little more size on their blue line.

So, to me, the Rangers are not a Stanley Cup winning team - yet. With all of those guys signed long term, I don't doubt the ability of the Rangers to become true Stanley Cup contenders in even just a single year. A smart trade could also push them past the edge.

Colorado got much better too. Ryan Smyth should bring a boatload of grit and determination, and with Joe Sakic should make a potent offensive team. With Scott Hannan on the blue line, it reminds me of when the Avalanche had Adam Foote - a really great, hard-nosed defender. They still have a goaltending issue, I don't see Budaj as the go-to guy, and Theodore is payed too much and does too little.

I think Toronto has done the right moves to become a playoff team. They still have all the pieces that made there powerplay work in 2005/06, they have bettered there goaltending, and with Blake and Bell have upgraded their forward depth (effectively replacing Jeff O'Neill and Peca). Blake is like Darcy Tucker in terms of his grit and determination, and he has better hands too and is willing to shoot the puck. Toronto should be able to put out two good offensive lines next season, and the other two lines will still have some good talent. Toronto is not going to win the Cup without a huge amount of luck, but they have done enough to at least get to the dance.

Edited by desiredtoe

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at TSN's real time free agent tracker, it looks like the Pittsburgh Penguins just signed Petr Sykora and Darryl Sydor.

Oh, and here is what Mats Sundin thinks of Jason Blake.

Edited by desiredtoe

I think Toronto has done the right moves to become a playoff team. They still have all the pieces that made there powerplay work in 2005/06, they have bettered there goaltending, and with Blake and Bell have upgraded their forward depth (effectively replacing Jeff O'Neill and Peca). Blake is like Darcy Tucker in terms of his grit and determination, and he has better hands too and is willing to shoot the puck. Toronto should be able to put out two good offensive lines next season, and the other two lines will still have some good talent. Toronto is not going to win the Cup without a huge amount of luck, but they have done enough to at least get to the dance.

Toronto resigned Bates Battaglia to a new two year deal worth $650 000, and there is a report that Micheal Nylander has signed with the Edmonton Oilers.

Considering that a team can go as much as $8,000,000 over the salary cap as long as they are under the salary cap by September 30th, it does not put the resigning of Micheal Peca out of the question.

Adding Peca could create some problems, but a good problem. With Battaglia also, it pretty much comes down to two of Pohl, Devereaux and Kilger being sent down or traded away. Kilger's strong play defensively keeps him up, I think. If there is no Peca, I then see John Pohl going to the Marlies and Devereaux staying with the Leafs.

I don't like the trade by the Oilers. They do get a defenceman who could possibly be their puck mover, but they traded away their captain and a young player who could potentially be a thirty goal scorer as soon as next year.

Edited by desiredtoe

Calgary loses Roman Hamrlik, who signs with Montreal... and after the signing of Sarich, I'd have to guess that the Flames didn't even extend an offer to Hamrlik...

stupid move on the Flames' part. Sarich is alright, but he's not worth what they're paying him, and I'd have rather had Hamrlik return.

I really feel bad for Montreal, because I know they pushed really hard for those top guys. What is so wrong with Montreal?

And Brian Burke signs Todd Bertuzzi, and I am not surprised. If he is healthy, I see that as a great move.

Montreal trades Sergei Smolinski for Bryan Samsanov.

The Canadiens really overpayed for Roman Hamrlik. He can make some dumb moves defensively. Although, he should be an adequate fill in to replace Souray, even though it will be impossible to replace his offensive abilities from the point.

My personal choice for this role would be to throw the green at Jason Blake. He's small, but he's speedy, he's got a great shot, he can be feisty, and he's young enough that a three- or four-year deal wouldn't be absolutely ludicrous. I believe that he could play well with Sundin, but that he might have even more chemistry with Wellwood and Tucker. He showed this year that he could score, no matter who his linemates are, and that he's compatible with any type of player. He played spells with Alexei Yashin, Miroslav Satan, Ryan Smyth, Trent Hunter, and even lesser talents such as Arron Asham, and looked good in all of those situations. He's a character player as well as a top offensive talent, and I think he would fit nicely in the blue and white.

My personal choice for this role would be to throw the green at Jason Blake. He's small, but he's speedy, he's got a great shot, he can be feisty, and he's young enough that a three- or four-year deal wouldn't be absolutely ludicrous. I believe that he could play well with Sundin, but that he might have even more chemistry with Wellwood and Tucker. He showed this year that he could score, no matter who his linemates are, and that he's compatible with any type of player. He played spells with Alexei Yashin, Miroslav Satan, Ryan Smyth, Trent Hunter, and even lesser talents such as Arron Asham, and looked good in all of those situations. He's a character player as well as a top offensive talent, and I think he would fit nicely in the blue and white.

-- Me, a month ago.

I've been saying it for months, since before the play-offs started, and more when the Isles traded for Smyth. Blake to the Leafs was a DONE DEAL.

I correctly predicted Kubina last year, and now Blake this year. Let's hope the results are a bit different this year!

Losers: New Jersey, New York Islanders, Edmonton, Montreal

Winners: Colorado, New York Rangers, Philadelphia

That's my take on it, so far.