2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

Lately, the words "Edmonton Oilers GM" don't exactly inspire confidence, but in this case it should. He was responsible for the glory days of Edmonton's farm team before Edmonton lost their farm team (thank you, Leafs fans). He helped develop a lot of the young guys in the Toronto/Edmonton system before they made the jump to the Oilers, and some of those guys look like really good AHL players... unfortunately, they are playing in the NHL right now, but still.

The word in Vancouver is that they're trying to make a package involving Cory Schneider, their first round pick, and one of Brendan Morrison, Mattias Ohlund, or Luc Bourdon, to try and move up to a draft pick in the top five. With Patrick Kane at number one to Chicago, that leaves the Philadelphia, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Washington picks in the top five. I don't think the Phoenix or Los Angeles picks will be available at all, but Philly and Washington both have immediate needs and enough prospect depth that they could afford to take an off year in stocking the cupboards. The best fit would probably be number two Philadelphia. Cory Schneider will never see any minutes here but Antero Nittymaki really needs someone to take the heat off and with Esche brittle as he is and Sean Burke vopatized, he'd be a decent fit. The only problem with that scenario is that the only one the Flyers would really want of the players would be Ohlund, and I think he's by far the one the Canucks need most. Bourdon needs a year in the AHL so him and Schneider are both useless to them, but the Flyers need some experience on the line to replace Markov, Hatcher, and Desjardins. They also have too many centres already. Washingon could use Morrison and Ohlund (and Bourdon as well) but the Canucks are only likely to make the move IF they can get a shot at Kyle Turris and or Karl Alzner, both of which might be gone at pick 5. After Kane, the draft could go a lot of different ways. The idea of the trade, basically, is to dump salary. The 2.5/3 million they could save on such a deal would allow them to sign two good players or one great one, theoretically, and give them a prospect that will be about ready when the team starts coming apart. Of course, that's a big risk, given how much some of the teams will have to spend on UFA's compared to the Canucks. Hopefully, the "You play in front of Luongo. Just TRY and lose," approach will draw some players with a hunger to win. I'm not sure how likely this scenario is, but it might work out well, so I wouldn't want Nonis not to try something. The chance to draft two kids who look like sure fire NHLers who are from Vancouver would do a lot for the future of the Canucks, which beyond the Sedin-Sedin-Luongo years to come, looks very, very hit and miss.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higgins and Komisarek are both resigned for 2 years in Montreal. Financial terms are undisclosed as per club policy. Higgins is a fantastic young player who many feel will be the Captain in Montreal when Koivu eventually leaves or retires. Komisarek was 2nd amongst NHL defensemen in hits, and played in all 82 games for Montreal. He really stepped up his game this year becomming a top 4 defenseman on the team showing great awareness and defensive ability.

Pavel Valentenko was also signed and is expected to play in the NHL and it is also rumored that the more impressive Alexi Yemlin will be signed before the draft day as Montreal apparently found a way around his Russian contract. He would likely play in the NHL right away.

Also, I need someone like Sean to decypher this one for me. I don't know much about the Blackhawks but I heard that Samsonov could be gone for Jassen Cullinmore and Tony Salmalainen. Are they any good as I also heard the plan might be to just buy those two out of their contracts which I also need someone to explain the purpose of this for me.

EDIT. The trade is a go and Sammy is gone (Praise Jesus). Komi and Higgins have identical deals worth 1.5 in year 1 and 1.9 in year 2.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

I think that is a nice move, getting rid of Samsonov for Cullimore and Salmalainen. With this deal, the Habs get rid of the useless Samsonov (at least, useless for their needs), get a little more room to do things by saving a little money, get a good 6th defenceman and a player who has a lot of speed and, at 25, still has a lot to learn about the NHL game.

Cullimore for Montreal is about a 9th defensemen, I don't think he's a number 6 guy. Salmalainen is never going to be a second line forward and doesn't have any grit to speak of, so he's best suited as a number one AHL forward. But the trade basically takes the cap hit of Samsanov away, which is a good deal.

So Muckler is gone, Murray moves up to the GM spot, Claude Julien is the head coach in Boston now, and the Flyers gave the Predators their first rounder back for the rights to Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen and promptly signed them both.

AND TORONTO HAD INTEREST IN HARTNELL! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

H!

The move changes the landscape in Philly a bunch. They already improved at the deadline during the season getting Zhitnik and Biron. Adding Hartnell and Timonen puts the Flyers closer to becoming a playoff team again. With the right signings on July 1st, this could be an interesting team to watch.

So Muckler is gone, Murray moves up to the GM spot, Claude Julien is the head coach in Boston now, and the Flyers gave the Predators their first rounder back for the rights to Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen and promptly signed them both.

AND TORONTO HAD INTEREST IN HARTNELL! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

H!

The move changes the landscape in Philly a bunch. They already improved at the deadline during the season getting Zhitnik and Biron. Adding Hartnell and Timonen puts the Flyers closer to becoming a playoff team again. With the right signings on July 1st, this could be an interesting team to watch.

Way, way too much.

I think if you look at the contract Scott Hartnell got, and compare it to the one Taylor Pyatt got, it's pretty much the same... paying for a youngish, two way player who you think has some offensive upside. Pyatt's deal is fair; Hartnell's deal is lunacy.

The Flyers overpayed to prevent Hartnell and Timonen from waiting until free agency to sign with someone else. Kaberle is a better puck moving defenceman, and he is getting $2 million less per year right now.

A few things:

SDM - People in Toronto love Kaberle because he's fast, has amazing puck-poise, can carry the play almost singlehandedly, has great instincts as a PP QB, has a good shot, has good vision, and is respectable enough defensively that he rarely is responsible for a goal anymore. He also is a very good backchecker, thanks to his great speed. The fact that he's the third highest paid defenceman on the team, and that guys like Andrei Markov and Kimmo Timonen, who are similar but not as solid as Kaberle [though Markov is ever-improving] is just more reason to enjoy what Tomas does.

About the Habs/'Hawks trade - Cullimore has already been bought out by the club, $1.25 million spread out over two seasons, which will count as $625k/yr. Salmelainen will challenge for a roster spot out of camp but I highly doubt he makes it; the guy has blazing speed but his hands aren't very good, he's not a great passer and his shot is average at best. I also say that if he doesn't make the Habs out of camp, he refuses an assignment to the AHL and bolts back to Finland, further saving the Canadiens more money. All in all, the Habs look to drop about $1.7 million in salary, and over $2 million if Salmelainen is returned to Finland [and in the process would have to be suspended without pay].

Can't wait for the draft.

Kane goes #1, almost definitely. I'm hoping the Leafs can snag Colton Gillies at #13, but I've been hearing that they're actively pursuing Mikael Backlund or David Parron. Leafs really need to draft some physical players, though. They've already got enough oft-injured softies on the team.

The rumours that persist about the Leafs trying to shop Bryan McCabe are interesting. He is a personal favourite of mine and he is a consistent point producer from the blueline. However, he can make defensive mistakes and counts for $7.1 million against the cap. Looking at who Toronto has already with Kubina, Kaberle, Gill, Colaiacovo, White and possibly Staffan Kronwall, the Leafs could make the deal as long as McCabe waived his no-trade.

This would give the Leafs the money to get one great player, and then they would still have enough to fix some holes throughout the line-up.

I'm hearing and reading about a ton of Montreal rumors, all centered around the same players. Washing and Montreal could be making a cap room clearing deal, I've heard Montreal is huge on landing Marleau and to a lesser extent, Preissing. I'd love both, I don't think it's possible. Montreal is a team that I feel was like the Leafs of the 80's torn by bad management. I really feel we're maybe 2 or 3 years from being a true contender and not just a very good hockey team. On the other hand, Gainey seems like he wants to do everything in his power to deliver on his promise to Koivu, that being. Montreal will not rebuild again. They will do whatever it takes to put the pieces together for a championship team for Saku.

Giguere resigns in Anaheim. Unless Niedermayer and Sellane retire, start dynasty discussion now.

The rumors centered around the Canucks haven't stopped. After weeks of saying that he wasn't actively doing anything, Dave Nonis confirmed that he was talking to other GMs about moving up in the draft. He kind of had to, since Philadelphia's GM mentioned him by name when asked about who was pursuing the Flyer's pick. The popular rumor, if you believe talk radio, is that Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg will be playing on a line together next year in Philadelphia. I think this scenario is totally unrealistic, and moreover, a very bad idea for the Canucks. That said, I am an advocate of moving up, I'd just rather both Naslund and Mattias Ohlund stuck around. Ohlund is really underrated. That said, the Canucks seem to be grooming Kevin Bieksa for the number one defensive spot, which means that he will eventually want number one defensemen money, and you can't pay two number one defensemen. (Shut up, Brian Burke) Naslund is coming off the worst statistical season ever, but I don't think he's vopatized just yet. He was compared to Sergei Federov, and it should be noted that after some defensively atrocious early years, Sergei Federov became a Selke trophy winner by changing his game. It also won him a few Stanley Cups. Sometimes, piling in 120 points is what a team needs and sure, 120 points from Markus Naslund would be nice, but I'd rather we won a cup, and if he's going to be a two-way, 50-80 point player who captains a cup champion, then screw the art ross.

Also, Dave Pratt and Don Taylor are on vacation. They had Mitch Berger, an NFL punter in, the other day. It was weird hearing an NFL guy talking about Scott Niedermayer and the Hamilton Predators.

You are right about Ohlund. He can play in both ends of the ice and can be a good number one defenceman. If it takes losing Ohlund to move up in what is considered a weak draft, then that is too high a cost.

I don't see Naslund doing what Federov has done and drastically changing his game at this point in his career. Federov was learning defence in Detroit in the prime of his career alongside Steve Yzerman, while Naslund is 32-33 and on the downswing. I think he may be able to rebound and have another point per game season, I think his offensive skills are there. He just needs to play with the right people, and those people may not be the Sedin's or Brendan Morrison.

Once again, self-proclaimed Canucks expert;

Ohlund is like a poor man's Niklas Lidstrom. He can basically do everything, BUT, he's getting up there in terms of wear and tear. He's had some really bad shoulder injuries and that has really hampered his offensive abilities. His shot has been hampered by it fairly severely and that's cut down his powerplay time by a lot. Ultimately, I thought he showed great chemistry with Kevin Bieksa, but Vigneault split them up and paired Bieksa with Willie Mitchell, which was in retrospect fairly genius. The only problem is that it curtailed Ohlund's ice time pretty substantially. Next year, he's probably going to play with Daniel Rahimi, Alexander Edler, or Luc Bourdon in a "passing the torch" role, assuming he sticks around.

Naslund... I think you're wrong, he did completely turn around his game. He's traditionally been a minus player... he was minus nineteen last season, making a ton of bad passes for counter rushes from the other team, no back checking ability whatsoever... Vigneault turned him around, got him to play a defensively responsible game. He did the opposite with the Sedins, and let them have free reign, and I think all 3 players are the better for it. And you're wrong about Naslund not having anyone to play with... him and the Sedins had fantastic chemistry, the only problem is that you cannot have one offensive line scoring 90% of your goals. In the new NHL, especially with the way checking matchups and coaching is set up, you need depth in scoring. The problem is is that he has no one else to play with. Brendan Morrison is a third line player, I'm sorry, it looked for a season or two like he was a first line player, but he's a one hit wonder, and now he's spilled his vanilla all over the ice. He's had too many back and hip problems to have the kind of speed he once had... don't get me wrong, Naslund and his groin being held together by chewing gum and prayers isn't a good situation either, but he can still gas it... you just cannot skate at all with a bad back/hip, just look at Toddbert The Uzi in the playoffs. The Canucks made an attempt, bringing in Smolinski, but he showed no chemistry whatsoever with Naslund, lots of hate on about his ice time, and is almost certainly not coming back. It's the eternal Toronto question, who do we bring in to play with Sundin. It seems like every year you face the same question and then you answer it, it's the wrong answer, you adjust, it doesn't work, and then you're stuck at square one. I don't know what the answer is to get Markus Naslund a hundred points again... I've ideas, but without enough tertriary research done in order to provide any definitive answers. One of the big problems is just taking a guy from the first line and asking him to play second line time can cause a lot of physicality issues. A lot of people talk about game shape without really understanding what it is. Game shape is being in the pinnacle of physical shape whereat playing NHL games causes your level of physical accruity to increase. Generally players work out on off days and off season... bikes, weights, the like, in order to stay or improve their shape, but players who play at an elite level, the guys who play 25-40 minutes a game, actually get more fit just from playing games and practicing without really needing excessive off ice training programs. Roberto Luongo, for example, came into training camp already in shape, and as the season wore on he was improving his physical shape and increasing his endurance and muscle rehabilitationality just through playing games, as especially during the playoffs, he had to cut back on much of his off ice workouts, but you could tell from the beginning of the season when he wasn't great then into the playoffs he was stealing games, that comes from playing a lot and playing hard every night. When you're on the second line you just can't do that, you don't have the time to really push your muscles beyond the point of where they currently are, so you stagnate. When you're the first line guy you cut yourself back to a level whereby you can maintain it and when you lose those first line minutes, and also, when you get older, you just don't have the pop under the skin that you used to. This is happening to Naslund and Ohlund as well, they're used to playing 25-35 minutes a game and now they're down to 15-20, and they haven't adjusted. You can tell because it looks like they're playing hurt, it's because they are... their muscles are used to being maintained at a certain level, now they drop off and spike back up, so it's much easier to cause small tears and bruises that can cause them to hobble. This, along with age, makes them just look out of place, when really they just need to understand better the levels they need to keep up to. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but whatever.

Adrian Aucoin traded to the Flames, dunno for what. Expect him to be good for 8 games, invisible for 24, and hurt for 50.