2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toews is awesome. Definitely my new favourite player.

toews062406_draft_194x275_hawks.jpg

Hawks struggled all week, dropping games against division rivals. Last night's game was a disgrace. Havlat didn't play, but I don't know if it would have made much of a difference (unless he had scored 5 goals).

Shit 3 in a row now. I'm upset that it was a loss, but for the shape the team is in right now(whole Defensive unit struck with gastro-intestinal flu, most forwards also hit, Bonk injured) they played to a respectable loss against a far better Jersey team.

The only plus I can see comming out of this, as our next game we're winning or Carbo will start shooting one player every night that we don't win. But one of the only pluses I'm seeing from this, is Montreal is having to shake up the lines a bit, and it appears that a line of Grabovsky(who is fast as lightning, great hands and super shot) Kovalev and Samsanov could work incredibly well.

-3 straight wins eh? I guess that means you're 9 wins behind the Canucks right now. And sure, you have more points, but big suprise. Number of teams in your division who've gone to the cup finals the last two years? Who've won a cup in the last decade? Number of gold medals your teams players won in the last olympics? The brilliant history of Habs winning ended with the Patrick Roy trade. He's your Babe Ruth, and now, you're just a bunch of losers.

Wasn't Koivu at the last Olympics? And I don't see what you're getting so upset about. Montreal is a great team this year that's run into a bit of a rut, all teams do. If we're a bunch of losers but we're ahead of the Canucks, what does that make them? I don't know what you're on about but as long as we're attacking Montreal, we're 1 win behind the Canucks with 5 less regulation losses and a game at hand so, I dunno where you get 9 wins behind the Canucks.

Facts are facts right now, if we're going on about histories of teams, the Canucks have only had what 1 cup final appreance and it only came 2 years after the Habs last went to the finals, that was in 94 if I'm not mistaken, which also puts it outside of 10 years for your team.

I'm not denying that the Canucks are a good team. Hell it could be easily argued and proven that they play in a far harder division than Montreal.

What I'm confused about is that you pop in and go Montreal sucks, pull Huet! and that's that. Hell at least when Be and I get into almost non-sensical Montreal/Toronto bashing we try to throw some logic in behind it. So in saying that I figured I might as well point out some statistics that contradict your statement.

No need for bashing SDM.

Wasn't Koivu at the last Olympics?

That's one.

The Canucks represent with Mattias Ohlund and Daniel and Henrik Sedin picking up 3 golds and Sami Salo chipping in with 1 silver. So one silver to one silver and three golds. Let's put this in perspective. Stefan Liv has more gold medals from the 2006 Winter Olympics then the entire Montreal Canadians. He's not even in the NHL, forget being an NHL team, forget supposedly being one of the best NHL teams in the league.

Good teams breed good players. Number of medals by the Canucks: 4. The Red Wings: 7. The Devils: 4. The Habs: 1.

And I don't see what you're getting so upset about. Montreal is a great team this year that's run into a bit of a rut, all teams do. If we're a bunch of losers but we're ahead of the Canucks, what does that make them?

A bunch of winners who play tougher competition and suffer point wise as a result.

I don't know what you're on about but as long as we're attacking Montreal, we're 1 win behind the Canucks with 5 less regulation losses and a game at hand so, I dunno where you get 9 wins behind the Canucks.

Maths!

Habs current streak: 3 losses. 3L = -3W

Canucks current sreak: 7 wins. 7W = 7W

-3W + 10W = 7W

Sorry, make that ten wins, since the Canucks did what the Habs couldn't do lately and win.

Facts are facts right now, if we're going on about histories of teams, the Canucks have only had what 1 cup final appreance and it only came 2 years after the Habs last went to the finals, that was in 94 if I'm not mistaken, which also puts it outside of 10 years for your team.

Since the 1996-1997 season:

1996-1997:

Habs make the playoffs. Win 1 game. Habs win 31 games in the regular season, finish with 77 points.

Canucks miss the playoffs. Canucks win 35 games in the regular season, finish with 77 points.

1997-1998:

Habs make the playoffs. Win 4 games. Habs win 37 games in the regular season, finish with 87 points.

Canucks miss the playoffs. Canucks win 25 games in the regular season, finish with 64 points.

1998-1999: (Introduction of the modern divisional alignment)

Habs miss the playoffs. Habs win 32 games in the regular season, finish with 75 points.

Canucks miss the playoffs. Canucks win 23 games in the regular season, finish with 58 points.

Northeast teams that make the playoffs: 4. Cup Finalists: 1 (Winners)

Northwest teams that make the playoffs: 2. Cup Finalists: 0

1999-2000:

Habs miss the playoffs. Habs win 35 games in the regular season, finish with 83 points.

Canucks miss the playoffs. Canucks win 30 games in the regular season, finish with 83 points.

Northeast teams that make the playoffs: 3. Cup Finalists: 0

2000-2001:

Habs miss the playoffs. Habs win 28 games in the regular season, finish with 70 points.

Canucks make the playoffs. Win no games. Canucks win 36 games in the regular season, finish with 90 points.

Northwest teams that make the playoffs: 3. Cup Finalists: 1 (Winners)

2001-2002:

Habs make the playoffs. Win 6 games. Habs win 36 games in the regular season, finish with 87 points.

Canucks make the playoffs. Win 2 games. Canucks win 42 games in the regular season, finish with 94 points.

Northeast teams that make the playoffs: 4. Cup Finalists: 0

2002-2003

Habs miss the playoffs. Habs win 30 games in the regular season, finish with 77 points.

Canucks make the playoffs. Win 7 games. Canucks win 45 games in the regular season, finish with 104 points.

Northwest teams that make the playoffs: 4. Cup Finalists: 0

2003-2004

Habs make the playoffs. Win 4 games. Habs win 41 games in the regular season, finish with 93 points.

Canucks make the playoffs. Win 3 games. Canucks win 43 games in the regular season, finish with 101 points.

Northeast teams that make the playoffs: 4. Cup Finalists: 0

Northwest teams that make the playoffs: 3. Cup Finalists: 1 (Losers)

2005-2006 (First Year With New Divisional Heavy Schedule)

Habs make the playoffs. Win 4 games. Habs win 42 games in the regular season, finish with 93 points.

Canucks make the playoffs. Win 3 games. Canucks win 42 games in the regular season, finish with 92 points.

Northwest teams that make the playoffs: 3. Cup Finalists: 1 (Losers)

Since the advent of modern divisional scheduling, the Canucks have won 15 playoff games to the Habs 14, and have the better overall season record as well, finishing with 262 wins, trumping the Habs 244 wins. The Canucks 532 points trails the 578 points of the Habs, but we're talking winners and losers, not sister kissers. If you want, I will fully recognize the Canadiens supperiority when it comes to regulation ties. Not only do the Canucks manage to have a better overall record, they've actually missed the playoffs in years the Habs made them, despite having a better record and/or point total. That's what playing in a weak division does for you.

The point I was making about the last decade was in regards to divisional strength, by asking how many cup finalists and divisional playoff teams made it from the teams perspective divisions. True, the 19 playoff appearances of Northwest teams isn't equal to the the 24 by Northeast teams, but I forget how damn pathetic the southleast division was. :pinch: Still, the point about Cup finalists stands: 3 for the Northwest, 1 for the Northeast. Also, the last two seasons, Northwest teams went to the finals. The last finals appearance by the Northeast was in the last millenium. Don't forget to take into account, as well, that since the advent of the modern division, the Northeast Division has had 5 teams. Unless expansion Minnesota joined, the Northwest only had 4 teams.

Oh, one more thing. Since the advent of modern divisional alignment, the Habs have never won their division. The Canucks won it once, finished second, a point behind, in a year as well.

I'm not denying that the Canucks are a good team. Hell it could be easily argued and proven that they play in a far harder division than Montreal.

It could, and it was!

But in case you're not satisfied:

The divisional emphasis on the new schedule helps prove it. The first year of heavy divisional play, the Canucks missed the playoffs after having made them 4 years in a row. The Habs continued to make the playoffs after having missed them 5 of the last 6 years. 6 years of balanced schedules, the Canucks make the playoffs 4 times and the Habs only once.

Since the advent of the President's Trophy, a team from the modern northwest has won it 6 times. Team from the northeast: only once.

Since the modern divisions were established, here are the number of top ten picks by division:

Northeast: 6

Northwest: 7

The Minnesota Wild account for 4 of those picks.

Adversely, the Montreal Canadiens made 3 of those picks.

The Eastern Conference has always been weaker then the west. Looking at the drafts helps establish that: twice, the west had a first overall pick since the modern divisions. The other 5 were eastern conference teams.

What I'm confused about is that you pop in and go Montreal sucks, pull Huet! and that's that. Hell at least when Be and I get into almost non-sensical Montreal/Toronto bashing we try to throw some logic in behind it. So in saying that I figured I might as well point out some statistics that contradict your statement.

Only you didn't. You never contradicted my statement, you just said Luongo should be traded.

But that's an entirely different debate, and I don't want to get into it.

Ha, I lied, I do.

Ranks for Roberto Luongo:

GAA: 10th

Time On Ice: 2nd

Shutouts: t-13th

Save Percentage: 11th

Saves: 2nd

Wins: 2nd

Ranks for Christobal Huet:

GAA: 11th

Time On Ice: 20th

Shutouts: t-13th

Save Percentage: 3rd

Saves: 10th

Wins: 18th

Huet is playing backup minutes, basically, and is 1 spot ahead of Ottawa backup Ray Emery and Nashville backup Chris Mason. It's much easier to put up good numbers when you're playing that sparingly. The only person who has played more then Roberto Luongo is Martin Broduer, and it's no mistake that's the only man who beats his win total. Either way, Luongo beats Huet in all the categories that NHL.com tracks except for two, one of which they draw, and only one of which Huet leads.

Anyone in the market for a Frenchman?

No need for bashing SDM.

I would not advise attempting to bash SDM: The result is long posts, watering eyes, and swallowed pride.

Habs = Suck. Canucks = Awesome.

Talk to me when the Habs have won 7 games in a row instead of losing 3 in a row.

I was watching the plays of the week today and all that needs to be said that Wojtek Wolski is going to be ridiculous. The kid is going to be a star in the league. I don't see many Avs games, but everytime I do or even just from watching highlights, you can tell he is going to turn into superstar.

I officially have a hard on for him. He's going to be stellar.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I think I am starting to know what it feels like to be an LA Kings fan. The Kings traditionally have always been snake-bitten with injuries year after year, and now this is two years in a row for the Leafs that we have had important players miss tons of time.

Toronto's play as of late has been better. I think they are finally crawling out of the hole they fell into. They aren't playing great, but better. We shall see what happens tonight against Carolina, though. I am tired of this constant "let's hang at .500!" shit.

Oh, and screw you Be. I switched the picture in my sig, and it's totally cooler then yours.

Edited by desiredtoe

The Habs were like that for a good 3 years... except it was between 96 and 99 when we didn't have a team really. It's unfortunate for Toronto that they're being hit by injuries, it's gotta be that much more frustrating when you've got players who can produce or make things happen and they go down.

Probably frustrating like an entire city hit with a goddamned flu and the hockey team gets it worst!

Montreal wins it tonight against Atlanta. The win couldn't have come soon enough as the teams behind us were starting to creep up on us, but we've still got the precious games at hand.

Ryder notches 2 and assists on another en route to a 4-2 win. I've been saying it amongst my friends for months now, Grabovski is going to be big for Montreal if they don't dish him away. So far he hasn't done anything in points, but he's had ridiculous chances and a goal disallowed. He still needs to develop but look at his speed, it's drool worthy. Tonight against Atlanta, twice he went end to end, blowing by at least 4 Atlanta players with some nice moves before dishing the puck looking for the big chance. He's fast and has good hands. If he's still with us next season, or even late into the season I can see him being the Center Kovalev and Samsanov so desperately need.

Koivu got his 500th point tonight and the crowd responed with a good 5 minute ovation, spilling over into subsequent playing action where the crowd didn't seem to care what was going on, on the ice and simply kept cheering and chanting his name.

Beating a team better than us tonight, will hopefully spark us offensively. Komisarek really did a good job shutting down Kovalchuk tonight.