Off The Record Top 10 Lists

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Milpool

Off the Record is a daily half-hour show on TSN up here in Canada, where the host (Michael Landsberg) and a four-person panel debate the sports issues of the day. They've often had wrestling flavour, as guests have included (off the top of my head), Vince McMahon, all four McMahons at the same time, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, the Undertaker, Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, Bobby Heenan, Gene Okerlund, Roddy Piper, Edge, Chris Jericho, Trish Stratus, and Hulk Hogan. I'm probably missing dozens.

OTR is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, and I found a bunch of "Top 10" lists on line. For the benefit of any Canadians who might actually remember some of these shows...

TOP 10 - Funniest (and Most Embarrassing) OTR Moments

10. Hockey legend Boom Boom Geoffrion wasn’t too fond of Landsberg or the show. During a commercial break, The Boomer told his wife, “Go warm up the car, we’re leaving.”

9. A NakedNews.com reporter wanted to do the show in the buff. She continually threatened to remove articles of clothing. The crew wouldn’t let her (what were they thinking?!) Everyone went home disappointed.

8. Talk about writer’s block! Author Naomi Klein walked out when she realized the entire show was not about her new book.

7. Former Argo and current OTR legend Gene Mack and hockey trivia guru Liam Maguire almost came to blows before Landsberg begged Mack not to hit Maguire during a commercial break.

6. In a now famous moment, Stone Cold Steve Austin ripped off Landsberg’s shirt. The stunt was actually choreographed ahead of time, but Austin forgot the moves. If you look closely at the tape, you can see Landsberg place Austin’s hand on the neck of his shirt and pull.

5. Introducing the stars from Lord of the Rings, Landsberg forgot the name of the movie. Hobbits from across the Shire have since called for a boycott.

4. Figure skater Toller Cranston asked MLB pitching legend Roger Clemens why baseball players are so fat. Clemens actually gave a plausible explanation why.

3. Chastity Bono fell asleep in the green room and then again on the OTR set. Bono’s publicist went to wake up Chastity, and then turned to the OTR producer and said, “I don’t want to touch her. You do it.”

2. During the second commercial break, rocker Tommy Lee said to Landsberg, “Dude I love this show”. Landsberg’s response: “Then dude, show your love and start talking”. He didn’t.

1. Gene Simmons claimed to have slept with 4,500 women. After openly flirting on-air with fellow guest Thea Andrews, she said she didn’t want to be number 4,501. Fellow guest Mark Tewksbury then raised his hand to volunteer.