The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I may be selling my copy of Madden as well. I don't know what has changed, but I'm complete trash at it. Can't play a game without throwing 4 interceptions or being sacked for a fumble. I think it's reached a point where its too complex just to pick up and have fun with it :(

Just signed up for Xbox Game Pass on their $2 for 2 months deal. Downloaded Doom, and am really impressed with the current lineup. Doom is pretty fantastic so far. Excited that I'm able to go back and play Fallout 4 now too, again. I traded in my copy because of a glitch that stopped my progress, so going back to it should be a ton of fun.

Has anyone played NBA Playgrounds? Is there a career or story mode at all?

Just now, Gabriel said:

Just signed up for Xbox Game Pass on their $2 for 2 months deal. Downloaded Doom, and am really impressed with the current lineup. Doom is pretty fantastic so far. Excited that I'm able to go back and play Fallout 4 now too, again. I traded in my copy because of a glitch that stopped my progress, so going back to it should be a ton of fun.

Has anyone played NBA Playgrounds? Is there a career or story mode at all?

Don't bother with Playgrounds - it really wants to be NBA Jam but... NBA Jam is backwards compatible on the Xbox One so you might as well grab that version. They use a system of using coins to open blind packs in order to unlock players. The mode in the game is just playing games at a specific court in order to unlock a boss fight, and all these matches have bonus objectives to get you more packs/coins. It should work fine - but once you run out of the one-time unlock rewards for doing the matches in that mode - you severely slow down unlocks and even then it's really random. Working up on matches that all feel the same just to unlock a pack of nearly all duplicates was not a rewarding experience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I only found out today that Forza Horizon 4 is being released on Game Pass at release, which means I am 100% signing back up. 

Cheapest deal I’ve seen so far is 3 months for £15.99 on CDKeys. Anyone seen any better deals? Not that I’m complaining about this one, I just need to save money at the moment. 

My first two months of Game Pass was only $2 total. I would check the Xbox to see if they have any active deals, because I'm always getting ads telling me I can sign up for Gold at discounted prices because they want me back again. Maybe they do that with Game Pass?

The game library is pretty vast, which is nice, though most of it is stuff I would never even try, let alone allocate bandwidth to for downloading. But even if I only play one game a month, the price is great, and I've already got a small list of things I want to play after I finish Doom.

The only thing that sort of interests me about the game pass is trying out Sea Of Thieves. Anyone played it? I've heard it was pretty empty to begin with but is meant to be better now.

Redeemed my Game Pass 1 month code just now and it said I can get an extra month for free by switching on automatic billing. Don't mind if I do!

Got until December now to play Horizon 4. I'll also give Sea Of Thieves a try as they've added a bunch of free stuff since the underwhelming launch.

6 hours ago, Kaney said:

The only thing that sort of interests me about the game pass is trying out Sea Of Thieves. Anyone played it? I've heard it was pretty empty to begin with but is meant to be better now.

I tried it with a friend, we did a 2-man vessel and it.. didn't really go all that well. When we were playing together and discovering the game (because it certainly doesn't do all that well at telling you how to play it) it was amazing, and a great experience. Our first run in with other players.. entirely less so. All they did was fuck with us, and even when we killed them (which was rare, due to their equipment versus our starter set) they'd just respawn on their boat which was close to ours.

The whole experience kind of put me off the game - I get that it's part of it, but there just doesn't seem to be enough of a system to fight back with when you're just starting out. If we can't do simple delivery missions without getting fucked over - how are we ever going to get enough money to upgrade our gear? Etc.

• Thanks 1

Sea of Thieves seems like it would be worth fucking around in for like a day but I've never had anyone else show interest in it. I redeemed a six month code I got for GamePass yesterday so I'll probably play some stuff that's on there.

1 hour ago, Apsham said:

Horizon 4 is amazing- they just get it when it comes to racing games.

Got mine downloading for when I get home later. Is it different enough from 3? Horizon games are enjoyable anyway, but it'd be nice if they've changed it up a bit. I know the season changes daily (?) in game. 

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Sea of Thieves seems like it would be worth fucking around in for like a day but I've never had anyone else show interest in it. I redeemed a six month code I got for GamePass yesterday so I'll probably play some stuff that's on there.

It’s only worth that one day of game time. I’ve played so much of it and regret it. I did enjoy it, but you definitely will get more enjoyment out of it playing with more than just yourself. 

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

Got mine downloading for when I get home later. Is it different enough from 3? Horizon games are enjoyable anyway, but it'd be nice if they've changed it up a bit. I know the season changes daily (?) in game. 

Weekly, and that's after you get through the initial story. It takes you through all the seasons first before dropping you in live.

I think it's different enough to be worth it for sure.