The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I went with the cheaper basketball option over the lightsabre but I have yet to see my avatar with it outside of the editor.

Fuck Microsoft up their pile of shit asses with their fucking retarded and pathetic updates.

I just turned my 360 on, it tells me there's a new update. Fine, I update. I go to watch a video (connected up from the PC) and it tells me I have to sign in to Live in order to play the content or whatever (which it NEVER has done before). I've ran out of Live right now and don't play on purchasing it any time within the next month or two. So basically, I cant fucking watch stuff off my PC on my 360 because I DON'T HAVE LIVE to get this so called update shit to watch the content? That's the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard.

Surely you'd just have to connect to Xbox Live to get the update? If you have to be a gold member which is what I think you're indicating, then yes that is stupid.

You've got to be a gold member it seems. I regret ever downloading the update now, because it means I've got to buy three months worth of Gold Membership just so I can start watching stuff on my 360 from the PC again. It just made no sense to me that it can happily download their update, but is forcing me to be a gold member to download this apparent update to watch the content, that's what pissed me off the most.

I don't know how to say it without sounding rude, but perhaps you're just doing it wrong.

There's never been an obligation to be a gold member to download the optional media update before so I don't see why there'd be one now. I'll log onto my girlfriend's silver account and see if I can media connect to my laptop, but if it doesn't work this must just be some odd little quirk Microsoft isn't aware of.

Taken from the Xbox forums..

Go to WMP and check the share with option. Some people are saying that after the update WMP sees your xbox as a different console or something. Just dis-allow your xbox, close, then re-open and re-allow. Sounds crazy i know, but ive been assured it works!

More searching and apparently the update isn't a gold member exclusive.

But I think I might know your problem, does it ask you to play the file and then direct you to download the update?

Edited by Captain Eo

I'm not using WMP to stream the stuff to my 360, I'm using TVersity, which is running fine and says it's connected to the 360. It weirdly enough allows me to play one or two videos which seem to be different files, but for the entire rest, any time I click 'play' on them, it tells me 'A media update is required in order to play this content, to get the update, sign in to XBox Live and play the content again'. I'm signed into my profile. I cant connect to nothing more unless I've got a gold membership, so unless I'm completely missing something, I'm sure I haven't done anything wrong.

I'm not using WMP to stream the stuff to my 360, I'm using TVersity, which is running fine and says it's connected to the 360. It weirdly enough allows me to play one or two videos which seem to be different files, but for the entire rest, any time I click 'play' on them, it tells me 'A media update is required in order to play this content, to get the update, sign in to XBox Live and play the content again'. I'm signed into my profile. I cant connect to nothing more unless I've got a gold membership, so unless I'm completely missing something, I'm sure I haven't done anything wrong.

Did you actually connect to live and try to play the content again?

Try this. That's the link to add the media update to your download queue. It isn't a gold only download so I don't know why it wouldn't show up for you, my guess is that since you already had the update downloaded maybe your console and the server became out of sync after the 8.11 update and it wouldn't force you to download it as the records say you already have it.

Another option is just going into your memory tab from the system blade of the dashboard > previous download, and just redownload the media update.

I'm only one achievement away from completing Oblivion, although I got 1000/1000 on it before Shivering Isles came out. I just need to become Duke of Dementia.

Ha! That was the exact achievement I just got.

So, I was thinking about getting a new mic, because my current one just started to get crappy. It fads in and out and gets all static. Now I have to play it through my TV, which forces me to raise the volume of my TV so high (because I can't hear anyone), which in turn forces me to turn down the game's volume in order to balance it out. (Does this happen with anyone or is it just me?)

So my question is, should I get a normal or wireless mic? I heard that with the wireless mic you have to charge it or something? Also, how much are both (if not the same)?

From my experience, it's better to get the standard wired microphone. The wireless is 60 and you have to charge it to use it. My roommate and I both had wireless microphones and both stopped charging altogether after a few months. The standard wired microphone is only 20, and works pretty well, the only problem I had with it is when I stepped on it and broke part of it so I had to duct tape it.

From my experience, it's better to get the standard wired microphone. The wireless is 60 and you have to charge it to use it. My roommate and I both had wireless microphones and both stopped charging altogether after a few months. The standard wired microphone is only 20, and works pretty well, the only problem I had with it is when I stepped on it and broke part of it so I had to duct tape it.

Thanks for the reply. Yea my friend had a wireless and we always used to pick on him because he would have to shut it off and charge it or it would just make horrible noises. Just seeing if they got any better.

So, for the mic that you've used, has it ever had problems with hearing people? Like does it ever phase in and out of conversations for example? I'm just wondering.

I don't get what's wrong with mine on that account. It's not chipped, it looks rather new. The only thing is that it has some food marks by the microphone part lol.