The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

Any chance of having No Mercy in XBLA? If they can have Goldeneye, There must be some way to get No Mercy and on the subject of Goldeneye, I hope they include cheats like Paintball mode, That was fun.

Cock blocked?

A Rare fansite has pieced together various stories, rumours and bits of evidence to come to the conclusion that Nintendo blocked an Xbox Live remake of GoldenEye

The plan was for a 10th anniversary edition of GoldenEye to hit Xbox Live Arcade, which would have needed Activision's permission as it is the current holder of the license.

Nintendo put pressure them to say no and Activision wanting to keep on good terms with Nintendo, decided to fall in line with its wishes and block the project. A proposed deal was that Nintendo release the original GoldenEye on its Virtual Console while Microsoft gets the GoldenEye remake but that idea was also shot down.

So if all of the above is true, then it's likely GoldenEye will never make it to Xbox Live Arcade unless Activision loses the James Bond license. Of course, the key phrase here is if all of the above is true.

MundoRare claim most of the information came from a Rare insider posting on the Penny Arcade forums, who posted a screenshot taken from the Xbox Live Arcade remake to lend weight to his claims (see below). They also point to news in American magazine EGM that states Microsoft 'cancelled' an Xbox Live remake of GoldenEye, which MundoRare says verifies their own claims.

True or not, it's still an interesting story to read.

Any chance of having No Mercy in XBLA? If they can have Goldeneye, There must be some way to get No Mercy and on the subject of Goldeneye, I hope they include cheats like Paintball mode, That was fun.

There's a rumor that THQ is updating the game with a current roster for the Wii's Virtual Console.

Edited by Mrs. Potato Head

To be fair (hopeful), the rumor has some steam behind it as it's not just some internet urban legend, several reputable sources have reported on it. I'm sure it's at least been discussed within THQ.

Not wanting to promote guys who have since departed? Not wanting to pay royalties to those guys? Worried that it might confuse casual fans who might buy it? Just guesses.

Because at least a dozen guys are in TNA or were recently there, six are dead and one of those is Benoit... playing No Mercy now is depressing. And the only active WWE main eventers in the game are HHH, Taker, Jericho, JBL and Jeff Hardy. If they're going to just re-release the game, I don't really see the point when it's so outdated, laggy as hell and is about $5 at any old school game store.

If they're going to update the game though, I could see it as big business. Especially on the Wii, which is sorely lacking a good wrestling game. How awesome would it be to play No Mercy as John Cena, MVP, Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, or CM Punk? Or the guys that are still around with updated move sets, attires, music, etc? And of course... online play.

EDIT

Not wanting to promote guys who have since departed? Not wanting to pay royalties to those guys? Worried that it might confuse casual fans who might buy it? Just guesses.

The only part there I'm not sure of is the royalties. If it's a strict re-release, I don't think they'd have to pay the guys as anything as they've already been paid. I don't know the details of the process, but I don't think WWE Superstars get residuals like that, I think a WWE contract pretty much says your likeness is their property to use how they see fit, which is how they get away with releasing DVDs like the one on Warrior. But yeah, WWE isn't going to let a game come out with a bunch of TNA guys and dead wrestlers.

Edited by Zero

Yea those are all valid points, but what I mean is the way that the storyline was set up in No Mercy putting in a new roster will totally fuck that up.

As for the remake itself, I would be excited if it ever amounted to anything besides a rumor, perhaps I would even buy a Wii.

If they don't go for an all out remake, I could see them dropping the story mode. Which is fine by me as long as I still get my 30 Man Falls Count Anywhere Royal Rumble which is my favorite thing to do in any wrestling game, ever.

We're totally hijacking the Xbox thread here, someone should make a Wii one. :shifty:

Still off-topic, but I don't remember the Royal Rumble being falls count anywhere. I remember it being able to eliminate by pin or submission and over the rope, but not falls count anywhere.

Turn off the Ring Out Loss and turn on No DQ and you'll have a falls count anywhere Rumble.

Still off-topic, but I don't remember the Royal Rumble being falls count anywhere. I remember it being able to eliminate by pin or submission and over the rope, but not falls count anywhere.

Turn off the Ring Out Loss and turn on No DQ and you'll have a falls count anywhere Rumble.