The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I wonder if Microsoft will take the same attitude WWE did to Pay-Per-Views when it launched the WWE Network.

"Well, you could be a sucker and pay $70 for this game on PS5, or you could be savvy and get it on day one as part of your monthly Game Pass subscription!"

Even if it's not Xbox-exclusive, you're still getting the better deal if you pick it up on a system other than PS5.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I wonder if Microsoft will take the same attitude WWE did to Pay-Per-Views when it launched the WWE Network.

"Well, you could be a sucker and pay $70 for this game on PS5, or you could be savvy and get it on day one as part of your monthly Game Pass subscription!"

Even if it's not Xbox-exclusive, you're still getting the better deal if you pick it up on a system other than PS5.

Isn't this what happened with Outer Worlds?

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Yes! And I came really close to accidentally buying it on PS4 too :( 

Be kinda glad you didn't.  I started off liking it but wound up really disappointed in the end

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

There's no need to think about that, since Microsoft already confirmed that future Bethesda titles will be on Game Pass on release day.

With the addition of Bethesda, Microsoft will grow from 15 to 23 creative studio teams and will be adding Bethesda's iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass. This includes Microsoft's intent to bring Bethesda's future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Pre-orders of the new consoles sold out really quickly in Australia. I imagine it'll be a mad rush for other regions too.

Looks like they've gone live at 8am in the UK. Out of curiosity I loaded up a few sites, the Currys one had some sort of automated queuing system:

Your queue number: 52533
Number of users in queue ahead of you: 49417
Expected arrival time on the website: more than an hour
Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

Blimey.

4 minutes ago, tristy said:

There's no need to think about that, since Microsoft already confirmed that future Bethesda titles will be on Game Pass on release day.

That was always going to be the case. I was just wondering if they'll release them on PS5 as well, but use the marketing pitch I suggested or if they'll keep the games exclusive to Xbox and PC.

1 minute ago, King Ellis said:

Looks like they've gone live at 8am in the UK. Out of curiosity I loaded up a few sites, the Currys one had some sort of automated queuing system:

Your queue number: 52533
Number of users in queue ahead of you: 49417
Expected arrival time on the website: more than an hour
Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

Blimey.

There are a lot of people complaining about sites being overloaded. Pre-ordering consoles seems to be a lottery.

Ah, gotcha, I misread that then.

I'm of two minds about the whole thing. On one hand, I don't think you spend $7b just to not make money in the future by releasing it on as many consoles as possible... but on the other hand, I don't think you spend $7b just to keep business going as usual. Surely they could have worked out something with Bethesda to bring their games to Games Pass on day one, if that's what they wanted all along (and not to keep these lucrative titles away from Sony).

Ultimately all I really care about is Wolfenstein, but having JUST finished the Outer Worlds earlier today, I'm kind of upset because that game was a nice little RPG that I didn't have to sink 200 hours into or anything.

As a person who's gone back to Sony for the PS4 after the Xbox 360 having had a PS1/PS2 prior to that, the only games out of them I'd be disappointed if they didn't bring out on PS5 is Wolfenstein/Doom. 

I feel like Fallout 4 wasn't on par with New Vegas and 3 and with Elder Scrolls the bugs just get on my nerves having had bugs on both Oblivion and Skyrim that prevented me from finishing the main story. 

I can't see them not releasing the bigger named games on all platforms as financially it'll make a lot of money. Can honestly see it being more of a why pay for it when you can have it for free on Gamepass!! With newer IPS being exclusive to Microsoft. 

If I had the time and money I'd just have a PS5 and a good gaming laptop with Gamepass cause then I'd have the best of both worlds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Looks like Amazon still have the Series S but not the X.

Interesting. I really thought that would be the first one to sell out. It was revealed that retailers were selling smaller quantities of the PS5 Digital than they were of the standard console, so I assumed that would be the case with the Xbox.

It's a shame for UK customers that the finance option was restricted to GAME and Smyths Toys. You'd think the Microsoft Store would offer it, at least, like it does in America. The alternatives for people over there are Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestop, so there are slightly more options.

Yeah, resalers have essentially ruined my resolve at this point - and I'm just going to get a new system whenever I feasibly can. I don't have it in me anymore to go out and line up at EB this afternoon to try and get a pre-order, and EB Games is the only place that they are allowing the financing to happen in Canada - and they have put out basically ZERO details about that so I don't even know if that's a thing you can do with pre-order or if you'd actually need to wait for the console to come out and do it as if you're going to purchase.