The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I can see the Series S tempting a lot of people at $299. It would be the cheapest option for a next-gen system. The Series X is a better long-term investment, though, and I don't think I'd be ready to have a digital-only console, even with Game Pass being as good as it is.

I'm already like 95% digital on my Xbox One after getting a 2 TB hard drive, so I'm happy to pick up a Series S for that price and go all digital.  I was planning on getting a PS5 around launch and waiting for Xbox to drop its price a year or two later, this definitely moves up that timeline a bit.

Plus unlike the Series X, this one actually looks like it will fit in my entertainment center

10 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

I thjnk I saw it was 1440p.

And I might be mistaken, but don't both next gen consoles need special external hds?

The PS5 certainly has a bespoke SSD, which makes it difficult to expand its memory in theory. The Series X has teamed up with Seagate to produce memory card-like SSDs that can be attached externally. If that becomes more of an industry standard, the Series X potentially has a big advantage.

External HDDs will work, but only with games from previous console generations. Because the next-gen games are built to make use of SSD technology, running them off an HDD isn't feasible.

I wonder if it will be possible to store games on an HDD when you're not playing them and transfer them to the SSD later so that you don't have to download them again. It's a common thing for PC players to do.

Ughh that’s annoying.  Still will likely be going all digital for the Xbox, just expand the SSD.  Considering their launch line up is ummm nearly nonexistent, it may be a bit before I pick one up regardless.  Probably won’t grab either next gen console until I’m done with Cyberpunk.

Colour me suprised at the £250 tag. After I saw the $299 one I thought for sure they would pull their usual trick of just swapping the $ for a £ and call it a day. Certainly makes things interesting at that price point, should turn a few heads to get a next gen system for that cheap, even without the disc drive, the smaller SSD and lower supported resolution.

I can't imagine I'd get a 4k TV for a long time and I dunno how the uptake is in general with them, I guess this is going to play a big part in getting 4K content out to the consumers but even then, how many games are necessarily going to be running at smooth frame rates at 4k resolution? And having the option to buy pre-owned is nice, especially with how cheap things usually get across the Sony/MS systems in comparison to Nintendo but having the Game Pass subscription alone will keep you well stocked if they start rolling it out to the the next gen as well. Unless there's more limitations to emerge, I could possibly live with it if it were just those.

Big massive grill on it looks odd though, I thought it was one of those adaptive controllers at first glance.

• Like 1

Sorry but MS really needs to get their shit together when it comes to console names.  I can't wait to buy the X-Box Series X 1 S XSX One

Game Pass will start including EA Access at no additional cost later this year. They're really going for this.

Also, have a look at this:

These monthly plans actually work out cheaper than the full prices of the console and Game Pass subscriptions combined. Suddenly, picking up a new Xbox has become a lot more feasible for a lot more people.