The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I feel like I've missed something with 'Gone Home'.

Spoilers

Spoiler

Took about 20 minutes to finish. No puzzles. No enemies. The whole 'mystery' is your sister has gone to visit her girlfriend and your parents have gone to counselling?

I was expecting Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil. There's no evil and there's no residents. I feel like I've just played the virtual equivalent of coming home from school to find out your mum has gone to the shops because there's nothing in the fridge for tea.

That's basically the gist of the game yeah.

It's meant to give you that initial vibe - and then you start reading things about the Uncle and maybe it starts off from there, but no - the misdirection stays true and that's why the game works kinda really. Man did I ever get it down to get the "beat the game in under a minute" achievement.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

I feel like I've missed something with 'Gone Home'.

Spoilers

Hide contents

Took about 20 minutes to finish. No puzzles. No enemies. The whole 'mystery' is your sister has gone to visit her girlfriend and your parents have gone to counselling?

I was expecting Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil. There's no evil and there's no residents. I feel like I've just played the virtual equivalent of coming home from school to find out your mum has gone to the shops because there's nothing in the fridge for tea.

Pretty much. Certain groups have praised it to the heavens, but me? I found the mystery and who was involved to be quite childish.

On 9/27/2017 at 18:33, Apsham said:

Gone Home is going free on GWG and with Oxenfree leading into October and Turing Test coming afterwards - fuck yeah! I'm in the mood for atmospheric games.

Turing Test is live on Xbox Live Games for Gold right now. Just started downloading it, can't wait to give it a shot within the next hour.

Until then, I'm going to snipe some heads in Sniper Elite 4 (H) Not something I'd ever pay full price for, but with Gamefly... I decided to check it out. It's pretty fun.

I thought I was out. I thought prison changed me.

I'd lost everything. "Civil forfeiture", they'd called it. I walked out of prison without any of my properties. My cash. Most importantly, my guns. My livelihood

The first thing I did out of prison was buy some new threads. Yeah, they'd even taken those - all of my high dollar clothing, all of my jewelry, all of my masks, my tac equipment, everything. You'd think doing jobs for shadowy government agents would get you some leeway, but nope. Of course not. You still get fucked. So I picked up my trusty stand-bys at the nearest Los Santos Binco's location - a leather jacket, a fitted tee, blue jeans and a pair of boots. It'd have to do.

Some things you come by honestly, like those clothes; some things, your instincts still take over. That's how I wound up, ahem, "acquiring" a Declasse Tornado to drive while I stayed at a ratty, low-end motel. 

And that's when he called me.

Lamar.

I tried to tell him I'm out of the game. 

I tried to tell him I couldn't come back, I'd lose everything. Again.

I tried.

I really tried.

The first thing I did was rob a convenience store near the tattoo parlor where I'd been getting my tattoos removed (don't ask). The second thing I did was take a bullet to the head courtesy of an overweight, sweater-clad, gold-chain wearing Concerned Private Citizen. <_<

(All this is to say, hey, I have Xbox Live now, and the only game I really have to play is GTA, so I'm playing GTA Online on Xbox if anyone wants to add me. My gamertag is Aleindria.)

OG Xbox compatibility landed today. This is the first wave:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Fuzion Frenzy
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Psychonauts
  • Dead to Rights
  • Black
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!
  • Red Faction II
  • BloodRayne 2
  • The King of Fighters Neowave

All of them are running at least 1080p and most are seeing framerate and loading time improvements as well. That backwards compatibility team is a magic. I picked up KOTOR and I already had Psychonauts from the 360 Originals series.

• Like 1

I own a smattering of OG Xbox games so might try the one that is BC, KotoR, but probably only as a curiosity. I have that on Steam as well so I imagine that would be a more viable way to play it?

Has anyone had issues with updating their controller?

I plugged a headset into my controller and it told me that the controller needed to update, so I went to let it, and the update failed for whatever reason and now my controller won't come on. Tried charging the battery pack, tried putting AA batteries in it, tried connecting it to the console with two different USB to micro USB cables, and it still won't do anything. I'm at a loss as to what to do. All the troubleshooting I've found hasn't helped (power cycle your Xbox! Attach it via USB cable! etc.) 

• 1 month later...