The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I've tried to read the Ultimate universe from start to finish, but I gave up after the first large Avengers event thing. I just didn't like it because it was just trying to be edgy and dark too much, and it kinda forsaked a lot of characters their defining traits to make it happen.

But Spider-Man was easily the best of them all, all the USM I read I always felt Spider-Man was the best person in the universe.

Go fuck yourselves, DC.

Spoilers for Heroes in Crisis, btw:

What in the absolute fuck do you have against Wally West?! This kind of crap is why people were turning away from DC and they were forced to do a reboot, because they started constantly going grim n' gritty and killing off or creatively mutilating favourite characters! Fan reaction to Rebirth was, from what I gather, great; their comics were getting filled with hope and people loved seeing Wally back. Literally a couple of years later they kill him, as well as a lot of second stringer heroes and Arsenal? Go fuck yourselves, DC.

Ultimate Spider-Man ends at 133, after the wave. Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem ends with cap pulling Spider-Man out of wreckage. But that's not the end of Spider-Man. What am I supposed to read now? I can't remember.

Found it. Oh Jesus I forgot about the stupid art change.

1 hour ago, Jericruise said:

I'm totally new to comics/graphic novels, what's a good starting point? The Spiderman PS4 game has scratched the itch for it.

Are you knowledged with any of the superman movies, whether that's MCU, X-Men, Deadpool, or even the DC films like Batman?

What are some of your favourite characters, there's lots of great runs for lots of great characters, and there are plenty of people that have suggested things in the past. So having a ballpark of what you're interested in will always help people give you suggestions.

Since you've been playing Spider-Man, one of the easiest runs to jump into (as a whole, not just as a Spider-Man fan) is Ultimate Spider-Man, this was part of an alternate continuity to the main Marvel universe that got started in 2000, and throughout its 11 year run it was written by only one person (Brian Michael Bendis) and penciled by only two (Mark Bagley, & Stuart Immonen). As a result of all that, it's arguably one of the most consistent comicbooks to have ever been written since it has a clear start and a decently clear end in an 11 year timespan. Whereas a lot of main continuity comic books get re-imagined, re-invisioned, and re-tooled every 2-3 years with new writers and pencilers.

There's some weirder things in there, mostly because it's a timepiece of the early 00s with all the edginess that comes with it. But it's easily one of the best places to start.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I've seen all the MCU bar Hulk (mostly because I cba to go back and rewatch it since they recast him), both Deadpools, all the Maguire/Garfield Spiderman movies, all the classic Batman movies and the Nolan trilogy, all the X-Men films as far as Days of Future Past, the Netflix series as far as Defenders (massively slacking on those at the moment) and tbh the film side of DC hasnt interested me so far so I'm hoping source material is better.

Original favourite was Batman but I've always liked the Marvel heroes. Spiderman, Ironman, Thor were probably my favourites from watching the old cartoon series.

Main reason this cane to mind was @Jimmy recommending Spider-Gwen on the weekend so figured I'd look into a few.

1 hour ago, Apsham said:

Marvel Unlimited might be worth looking into - if only for a cheaper way to look into the comics to see if they're for you (since books are expensive as shit) and you get curated lists that go by character or by storyline, etc.

I would do this. Subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, and I'd recommend reading through Ultimate Spider-Man for a jumping on point, if you want Spider stuff. It kind of works its way into the main continuity in some ways after the Ultimate line goes away, and that would be a good point to jump into the regular Spider books. Or you could look through character lists like Apsham mentioned. They're always adding curated lists for relevant things. I'm sure there's a Venom one up right now to hype the movie.

I use Unlimited, and buy the stuff I want to own or that isn't available through the service. Keeps costs low, while allowing you to deep dive into the backlog. It's also important to help support local comic shops, as long as they aren't gouging you for extra money by marking their stuff way up. Digital is nice, but printed books are the grail.

Yeah, I've totally re-discovered my love for comics lately. Or, at least, been willing to put my money where my mouth is. 

I'm three volumes into Saga, one volume into Monstress and one volume into Paper Girls which are all insanely good. Also really dug volume zero of Spider-Gwen (as Eddie was saying) and went back and read the first volume of Transmetropolitan, which is something I've wanted to read since I loved Fell: Feral City. 

Just need to keep saving up so I can buy the next volumes of stuff - there's a decent second hand shop in London for comics, so might pop by there today. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20181003-025402.png

:lol:

Also..

Screenshot_20180930-184705.png

Oh poor Johnny boy. If you only knew the two very important things about her I know. 

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

She's a spider mutated into a human, and is addicted to hummus?

Ultimate Spider-Man spoiler stuff.

Spoiler

1.Shes Peter's clone with all his memories and feelings. There's 15 years of Peter in that head and maybe one year of Jessica.

2. She's gay. She likes Jewish girls and Redheads just like Peter.

• Like 1

Whoever redisigned for Ultimate Comics had a type of woman they liked. MJ and Gwen both got hit with the goth-punk stick early on, Bombshell shows up out of costumes much the same and then when MJ goes back to normal Kitty gets it.

Oh and Black Cat too. Suddenly her costume is all black and she has a black pixie cut and dark lips.

23 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Whoever redisigned for Ultimate Comics had a type of woman they liked. MJ and Gwen both got hit with the goth-punk stick early on, Bombshell shows up out of costumes much the same and then when MJ goes back to normal Kitty gets it.

Oh and Black Cat too. Suddenly her costume is all black and she has a black pixie cut and dark lips.

Can't you see that the Ultimate line is just so edgy?

Seriously though, I've been re-reading Ultimate Spidey and it's pretty noticeable. I feel like the artists just had a field day with the re-designs, since they had a blank slate and could do basically whatever they wanted, so long as Marvel signed off on it.

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Can't you see that the Ultimate line is just so edgy?

Seriously though, I've been re-reading Ultimate Spidey and it's pretty noticeable. I feel like the artists just had a field day with the re-designs, since they had a blank slate and could do basically whatever they wanted, so long as Marvel signed off on it.

Ultimate Spider-Man was amazing with their original redesigns. Everyone looked just right and real. The Goth-Punk fairy only rears up in Ultimate Comics:Spider-Man after the Post-wave relaunch.

I'm honestly shocked some of these books went to print with how off model they are. Green Hulk with Purple pants? 616 Iron Man armor? Old and grey Reed Richards? Did nobody send these artists their reference material? I'm surprised we didn't get Norman in a purple elf cap on a glider in the end.

• Haha 1

The goth punk thing was mostly just the entire world being hit with the early 00s stick and nu-metal and goth music becoming pop culture and with how edgy and 'hip with it' the Ultimate imprint tried to be, it's not a shock that every female got hit with those looks.

Also, from your remarks I assume you've been reading Ultimates, that's a problem all on its own.

6 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

The goth punk thing was mostly just the entire world being hit with the early 00s stick and nu-metal and goth music becoming pop culture and with how edgy and 'hip with it' the Ultimate imprint tried to be, it's not a shock that every female got hit with those looks.

Also, from your remarks I assume you've been reading Ultimates, that's a problem all on its own.

Nope. Just Spider-Man. I'm rereading Ultimates next. A few Ultimates characters show up in Spider-Man though.